Does anyone still think Marner is better than Matthews?

Leafs best player

• Total voters

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Friedman: Coyotes eyed Auston Matthews offer sheet before extension

Per Elliott Friedman:

“The Toronto Maple Leafs 100% believed that if Auston Matthews got to July 1 last year, Arizona was going to offer-sheet him seven years, the max,” Friedman said. “And I’ve looked at it, and people around the league have told me they believe that to be the case.

“Nobody has said to me that’s false. I think the Leafs believed it, I think the Coyotes were going to do it and I think the league knew it. So the attitude is moving.”

.... if the “league knew it” it would be beyond naive to think that word didn’t get to Matthews. Now, he obviously opted to take the extension and this never came to fruition.

But, we know Arizona is interested. And Matthews knows Arizona is interested.

Up to him from here. If he doesn’t sign an extension before the NMC kicks in... time to take serious offers.

Pookie, you've put in a solid effort with this Matthews fear mongering campaign, but the fact is, Auston Matthews chose not to geto to restricted free agency, chose not to hear the Coyotes offer sheet, and is currently a Maple Leaf.

Now, let's get back on topic, or else take the conversation somewhere else.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Friedman: Coyotes eyed Auston Matthews offer sheet before extension

Per Elliott Friedman:

“The Toronto Maple Leafs 100% believed that if Auston Matthews got to July 1 last year, Arizona was going to offer-sheet him seven years, the max,” Friedman said. “And I’ve looked at it, and people around the league have told me they believe that to be the case.

“Nobody has said to me that’s false. I think the Leafs believed it, I think the Coyotes were going to do it and I think the league knew it. So the attitude is moving.”

.... if the “league knew it” it would be beyond naive to think that word didn’t get to Matthews. Now, he obviously opted to take the extension and this never came to fruition.

But, we know Arizona is interested. And Matthews knows Arizona is interested.

Up to him from here. If he doesn’t sign an extension before the NMC kicks in... time to take serious offers.

where does it say the Coyotes org and the Matthews camp kicked around an offer sheet? that was your claim.

I'll wait.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
So easy but yet so far...

1. Coyotes planned an offer sheet at 7 years and max cap

2. Leafs knew it.

3. This information was well known around the league.

4. _______ knew it (guess who that was?)

5. In weighing the Leafs extension offer... which was likely contingent on signing by July 1.... vs what they knew was coming from Arizona... Matthews’ camp made a choice.

To deny any of that would have to assume that everyone BUT the Matthews camp was aware of both the intent and the terms would be absolutely silly.

Try to connect the puzzle pieces here.

So Matthews chose to take significantly less money (literally tens of millions) to stay here? That's your best proof he secretly wants to leave and go to the states?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

2. Leafs knew it.

5. In weighing the Leafs extension offer... which was likely contingent on signing by July 1.... vs what they knew was coming from Arizona... Matthews’ camp made a choice.

To deny any of that would have to assume that everyone BUT the Matthews camp was aware of both the intent and the terms... and that would be absolutely silly.

so in other words no, there's absolutely nothing you have that says that the Matthews camp and the Coyotes kicked around an offer sheet.

that's what I thought.

anyway the whole thing is ludicrous. Matthews wanted an 8 year deal here. there is a direct quote out there about it. you've got nothing but hopes dreams and a Friedman hit that doesn't even say what you want it to.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
just saw your post Stephen, sorry.

I'm now done talking about this in this particular thread.

Reactions: kb

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
You think about the future, which is why you have mentioned Matthews' past, non-hockey-related incident in multiple posts now? But sure I'm reaching.
What is your point? That he may or may not leave at the end of his contract? No one disagrees with that, this is true regarding any player. What are you actually trying to say here?

Who knows what his point is.

First it started off as Matthews signing a 5 year contract so it means he doesn't want to be here. When that got shut down, the argument got re-framed into various young players leaving teams via trades, offer sheets and free agency. And when then got shut down, the argument is now about how Matthews is born in America and cheered for the Coyotes and an alleged offer sheet was going to be presented to him. And now that this has been shut down, you can bet every penny that some other half-baked speculation narrative is going to be cooked up to keep the circle going.

And not one single shred of credible proof to back any of it up. All pure speculation.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

2. Leafs knew it.

To deny any of that would have to assume that everyone BUT the Matthews camp was aware of both the intent and the terms... and that would be absolutely silly.

Just want to be clear.

The whole league knows Arizona will OS Matthews at 7yrs and Max cap including the Leafs and Matthews camp.
Leafs panicked and resigned Matthews for 5 years with a NTC in the last year at 11.634mil.
Matthews and his camp rejected the chance to sign a 7yrs/Max cap OS from Arizona If they waited a few more months and signed with the Leafs at 11.634mil/5yrs with NTC bc they want to take less money for 5 yrs before AM signing a deal to go home.

If that means AM wants to leave the Leafs in 5 yrs to you, that’s good for you.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Who knows what his point is.

First it started off as Matthews signing a 5 year contract so it means he doesn't want to be here. When that got shut down, the argument got re-framed into various young players leaving teams via trades, offer sheets and free agency. And when then got shut down, the argument is now about how Matthews is born in America and cheered for the Coyotes and an alleged offer sheet was going to be presented to him. And now that this has been shut down, you can bet every penny that some other half-baked speculation narrative is going to be cooked up to keep the circle going.

And not one single shred of credible proof to back any of it up. All pure speculation.
Well McDavid will be an UFA when his contract is over. And he spends his offseason in Toronto and I think his gf is from Toronto too. I wonder what will happen if I stated these facts on the main board and claimed McDavid might leave the Oilers. Then I defend it by Oilers should have a contingency plan in case McDavid leaves.... will be interesting to see how that goes

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Haha the great thing about Marner is that he always proves himself. I am sure this thread will be fun to revisit after the playin gets going. Columbus will have a handful with him and Matthews :)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Pookie, you've put in a solid effort with this Matthews fear mongering campaign, but the fact is, Auston Matthews chose not to geto to restricted free agency, chose not to hear the Coyotes offer sheet, and is currently a Maple Leaf.

Now, let's get back on topic, or else take the conversation somewhere else.
This seems to be a monumental task. Just remove them both from the thread.

Reactions: Notsince67

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Haha the great thing about Marner is that he always proves himself. I am sure this thread will be fun to revisit after the playin gets going. Columbus will have a handful with him and Matthews :)
He will be great.
But does he prove himself to be better then Matthews, thats what the thread is about... should be about.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Also, Kawhi is a poor example bc 1. He plays in the NBA. 2. He was only in TO for a year. 3. DD, and KL all signed extensions with the Raptors despite having the chance to play elsewhere.
There is also this factor with Kawhi. Before he was traded to Toronto he had wanted to play in Los Angeles and was hoping the Spurs would trade him to the Lakers or Clippers. So he didn't choose to play in Toronto, however he was very professional about it and the Raptors had the best outcome possible. He was also willing to stay in Toronto if the Raptors had traded for Paul George, however that would have meant giving up Pascal Siakam.

Got a question, can anyone name me a Leafs player in their prime who left via UFA despite Leafs offering him a contract as good as the accepted offer?
JVR and Bozak don’t count as the Leafs didn’t offer them and just let them walk.
The only one who I thought of right away was Curtis Joseph when he signed with Detroit in July 2002. Toronto had offered him 4 years, however he signed for 3 years. Although the report was he wasn't getting along with Pat Quinn and it went back to him not getting another chance in net at the 2002 Olympics since he lost Canada's first game 5-2.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Hehe... tampering.

As if that’s ever been a challenge in this league before.

UFAs signing new deals with teams at 12:01am July 1st for decades.
Until a few years ago UFA's were officially allowed to sign new contracts at 12:01 AM on July 1st. That changed to 12:00 PM since the NHL and NHLPA agreed to that week where teams can meet with other players, like when Toronto meet with Tavares.

So once again you're wrong.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
There is also this factor with Kawhi. Before he was traded to Toronto he had wanted to play in Los Angeles and was hoping the Spurs would trade him to the Lakers or Clippers. So he didn't choose to play in Toronto, however he was very professional about it and the Raptors had the best outcome possible. He was also willing to stay in Toronto if the Raptors had traded for Paul George, however that would have meant giving up Pascal Siakam.

The only one who I thought of right away was Curtis Joseph when he signed with Detroit in July 2002. Toronto had offered him 4 years, however he signed for 3 years. Although the report was he wasn't getting along with Pat Quinn and it went back to him not getting another chance in net at the 2002 Olympics since he lost Canada's first game 5-2.
Didn’t Leafs also have Belfour at that time? Or was the Eagle signed with the Leafs afterwards.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Until a few years ago UFA's were officially allowed to sign new contracts at 12:01 AM on July 1st. That changed to 12:00 PM since the NHL and NHLPA agreed to that week where teams can meet with other players, like when Toronto meet with Tavares.

So once again you're wrong.

Dude.

Tampering has been a part of the NHL as long as there has been ice.

Teams don’t talk to agents of players under contract.

The mentions their interest to mutual friends of the agent.

Tampering Team: Hey “Friend of Agent, hypothetically speaking we are interested in player x. What would it take to sign him?

Friend of Agent: Hey Agent. I think Tampering Team might be interested. What are you looking for?

Agent: we would want Xzy

Friend of Agent: hey Tamerinf Team, player D would be interested. But it would take ....

Tampering Team: hey Friend of Agent, we are prepared to do that.

That’s how tampering works without getting caught.

And it’s been going on for ages.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Dude.

Tampering has been a part of the NHL as long as there has been ice.

Teams don’t talk to agents of players under contract.

The mentions their interest to mutual friends of the agent.

Tampering Team: Hey “Friend of Agent, hypothetically speaking we are interested in player x. What would it take to sign him?

Friend of Agent: Hey Agent. I think Tampering Team might be interested. What are you looking for?

Agent: we would want Xzy

Friend of Agent: hey Tamerinf Team, player D would be interested. But it would take ....

Tampering Team: hey Friend of Agent, we are prepared to do that.

That’s how tampering works without getting caught.

And it’s been going on for ages.
You previously stated that Arizona tampered with Matthews even though he signed his 5 year contract extension on February 5, 2019. That means he was never an RFA and no teams could have talked with him about signing an offer sheet, since he never made to July 1, 2019.

If you want to say tampering happens I remember Bob McKenzie said during the week when UFA's talk with other teams before July 1 they are not allowed to talk about contract details. However he also said there is no way to prevent that from happening.

In the end once again you were proven wrong and I have to ask why are you a Leafs fan with the things you write? It's like your becoming version 2.0 of TWS in bashing everything the Leafs do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad