Speculation: Does Alex Nylander make the team out of camp?

Does Alex Nylander break camp with the Blackhawks?

• Yes

Votes: 41 59.4%
  • No

Votes: 28 40.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Kahun is not cheap, that’s an actual productive young player on a good contract this year. Stan works hard you right but he doesn’t work smart.

work smarter not harder is what I preach to my son all the time and in Stan's case it seems you could use the advice a bit more often as well

Stan better be careful with a few of his most recent euro signings, first planarian signed, played and traded, then Kahun. Euro players may get a bit shy of signing with the hawks if Stan does the same with the likes of Kubalik and Wedin/Holm if they turn out to be NHLers....

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
work smarter not harder is what I preach to my son all the time and in Stan's case it seems you could use the advice a bit more often as well

Stan better be careful with a few of his most recent euro signings, first planarian signed, played and traded, then Kahun. Euro players may get a bit shy of signing with the hawks if Stan does the same with the likes of Kubalik and Wedin/Holm if they turn out to be NHLers....
Panarin has about $70 mil in reasons to thank Bowman for bringing him over, giving him the opportunity not only to be a NHL player but to play along side one of the games best in Kane (which helped him reach some amazing totals)..every player gets moved or traded at some point, none of these guys have anything to complain about when a team is creating opportunities for them to become NHL players and millionaires..Hawks will continue to be a top team that players will want to come to because of a proven track record of guys like Kempny, Panarin, Kahun, etc..the only one that would scare me was Kempny because of how he was handled here being scratched all the time...that was on coaching.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
In what world would the Schmaltz/Strome trade be an over payment?

Are you just spitballing? Or do you have a thought on it? (Not snarky)

Nylander could be potentially if he does not develop and Joker does.
Because both trades were similar in that the Hawks gave up a somewhat proven player for a completely unproven player. Both deals seem unnecessarily risky. IMO you shouldn't give up something proven for something unproven like that. I get that both players acquired upside blows the other away, but I don't understand. They should have traded a couple prospects for each guy. It also inflates the market for change of scenery candidates.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Because both trades were similar in that the Hawks gave up a somewhat proven player for a completely unproven player. Both deals seem unnecessarily risky. IMO you shouldn't give up something proven for something unproven like that. I get that both players acquired upside blows the other away, but I don't understand. They should have traded a couple prospects for each guy. It also inflates the market for change of scenery candidates.

Schmaltz and Joker were both far from proven, IMO. They both had their major ups and downs throughout their tenure as Hawks, evidenced by their repeated send downs/call ups. Realistically, we don't know if Bowman has won either of these trades yet, or not. Strome had a great partial season here, but can easily regress, and Nylander has yet to play, or even be a part of TC.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Schmaltz and Joker were both far from proven, IMO. They both had their major ups and downs throughout their tenure as Hawks, evidenced by their repeated send downs/call ups. Realistically, we don't know if Bowman has won either of these trades yet, or not. Strome had a partial season, but can easily regress, and Nylander has yet to play, or even be a part of TC.
My point is that Schmaltz and Jokiharju had shown a lot more at the NHL level than Strome and Nylander at the time of the trade. That has to count for something.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
See I don't agree with that.

Strome maybe wasn't quite proven at the NHL level, but he dominated everywhere else. It was clear that Arizona was holding him back. Ot was very clear to me that Strome was going to be great in Chicago. Also Schmaltz was horribly inconsistent and lacked world ethic.

As for Jokiharju, he hasn't proven anything yet.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
My point is that Schmaltz and Jokiharju had shown a lot more at the NHL level than Strome and Nylander at the time of the trade. That has to count for something.

I get what you're saying, but it's not like there was much there. Schmaltz basically had one season, and Joker had around 40 games or so. Not exactly a lot proven with that small of a sample size. Strome at least had a track record of being very successful in the OHL/AHL.

Edit: And as Musto pointed out, Schmaltz was very inconsistent in his time in the NHL.

I don't see either of these trades as a win or a loss for Bowman, yet. The jury is still out, IMO.

Reactions: d rake

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Because both trades were similar in that the Hawks gave up a somewhat proven player for a completely unproven player. Both deals seem unnecessarily risky. IMO you shouldn't give up something proven for something unproven like that. I get that both players upside blows the other away, but I don't understand. They should have traded a couple prospects for each guy.

When they traded Schmaltz his play and production were not good. He was bringing very little to the team at that point and this is coming from someone who really like his game for a long time. The Hawks received 2 1st round picks in Strome and Perlini. Strome replaced Schmaltz's production and provided the team with a legit 2c. Perlini got off to a rough start but showed glimpses of his potential later in the season. Schmaltz produced well before he was hurt but showed many of the same issues he had here. This deal has worked out and was not really risky at all to be honest.

Schmaltz was no more proven than Strome for the most part. Stome and Perlini were complete unproven? Come on.

The Nylander/Joker trade is really risky. Joker showed he could play at the NHL level (even has he was trying to just keep his head above water). Nylander is loaded with talent but his development has not moved as expected. Is it a Sabers issue? Nylander issue? Both? Was he in the AHL too early? These are all valid questions. Talent wise Nylander has a higher ceiling than Joker but the question is "will he realize his potential"? Personally I think the Hawks will be able to right the ship with him and he has the potential to be a great fit in out top 6.

Joker played 30 NHL games but Nylander played 12, is either really proven?

I will not deny the risk of the Joker/Nylander trade though.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
See I don't agree with that.

Strome maybe wasn't quote proven at the NHL level, but he dominated everywhere else. It was clear that Arizona was holding him back. Ot was very clear to me that Strome was going to be great in Chicago. Also Schmaltz was horribly inconsistent and lacked world ethic.

As for Jokiharju, he hasn't proven anything yet.
Both players the Hawks traded had proven far more in the NHL than the players that they acquired, even if inconsistent.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I already stated that Stan should not have gotten Maatta, today’s NHL is all about speed and he doesn’t have it, should have kept Joker and saved the extra cap space for next year and maybe signed someone for year. Kahun+Joker+ cap savings >>>> Maatta + Nylander

Maatta more than makes up for his lack of speed with really good positioning. This is a big equalizer. Will he get burned a few times this year? Yes but so will everyone. The key is to play him with another SHD or to play him with a D that can skate well.

If you think last season was Maatta and not the previous seasons where he was really important to the Pens then so be it.

Kahun would be due a new deal after this season so the cap savings is not what you imply it is. He will easily get 3-4 million and there is a good chance he gets to play with Sid or Geno.

Last edited:

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Both players the Hawks traded had proven far more in the NHL than the players that they acquired, even if inconsistent.
Regardless I was absolutely finished with Schmaltz and glad to see him go. Dude thought he was Kane and managed to be the biggest floater on the team.

Same reason I have no time for Perlini. Will never contribute unless someone is doing the work for him.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

How is he not working smarter? He replaced Kahun with Kubalik and Maatta; Kubalik is a better forward prospect and Maatta is the SHD that the team needs. This is knowing you assets and using them to fill the teams need.

The Hawks and Stan have treated Euro prospects really well and that is why they continue to sign here. Panarin is a star but got to play with Kane. Kahun played in the top 6 with a lot of talent. This is treating Euro's well. They moved Kempny to a place where he could play, this was doing him a favor. I don't see the Hawks falling out of favor anytime soon.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I have no idea if the Joker trade will work out well, but I do know Joker hasn't proven a damn thing at the NHL level.

Started out really hot and it got pretty brutal towards the end.

He will be interesting to follow.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Maatta more than makes up for his lack of speed with really good positioning. This is a big equalizer. Will he get burned a few times this year? Yes but so will everyone. The key is to play him with another SHD or to play him with a D that can skate well.

If you think last season was Maatta and not the previous seasons where he was really important to the Pens then so be it.

Kahun would be due a new deal after this season so the cap savings is not what you imply it is. He will easily get 3-4 million and there is a good chance he gets to play with Sid or Geno.

Powers: “I did hear from someone this week who thought Colliton was going to have de Haan and Murphy as one pairing and Maatta and Seabrook as another. I guess we’ll see.”

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Powers: “I did hear from someone this week who thought Colliton was going to have de Haan and Murphy as one pairing and Maatta and Seabrook as another. I guess we’ll see.”
Seabrook and Maatta? Somebody get Rooh because we’re tanking again this year.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
deHaan and Murphy could be a really good shutdown pair but Seabrook and Maatta is a recipe for disaster
It's really unfortunate. As you said, DeHaan and Murphy would be a great pairing but Maatta and Seabs will keep it from being deployed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad