Blue Jays Discussion: Do you want to learn the horrifying truth? Or do you want to see Vlad Jr. sock some dingers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Atkins: triple-A ‘clearly in sight’ for Blue Jays prospect Pearson - Sportsnet.ca
After a strong first-half performance, the Toronto Blue Jays’ top pitching prospect could soon be one step closer to the major-leagues. Nate Pearson, the Blue Jays’ first-round pick in 2017, could be in line for a promotion to triple-A Buffalo in the coming weeks according to Toronto GM Ross Atkins.

“Nate’s been awesome. He, unfortunately, one year ago, had the injury … and missed the entire season so we tried to expedite his development because the talent is so exceptional, really,” Atkins said during an appearance on Good Show on Thursday. “I think triple-A is clearly in sight as we get now the limits are off, where he’s going to be pitching more regular five- and six- and seven-inning outings. If he is successful for another round of outings in double-A I’m sure we’ll be talking about triple-A.”

Last year, Pearson’s season ended just about as soon as it started after he was struck by a comebacker, resulting in a fractured ulna in his right forearm in May 2018. This year, he’s healthy and thriving on the mound, already earning a promotion from single-A ball in Dunedin, where he started the season, to double-A with the New Hampshire Fisher Cats. There, the 22-year-old has tallied 32 strikeouts in 28 innings pitched with a 3.54 ERA and is certainly garnering some excitement among fans eyeing his strong potential.
However, it could be tough for Pearson to earn a promotion to the majors in 2019. The Blue Jays have watched his innings total carefully after a 2018 season in which injuries limited him to just 22 innings and there’s no need to add Pearson to the 40-man roster to protect him from the Rule 5 draft just yet. As such, his MLB debut might have to wait until 2020.

“As it relates to the major leagues, with someone who doesn’t need to be protected, it’s going to be on somewhat of a limited workload. To bring someone to the major leagues for a limited period is not always the best idea for the long-term health and strategy of not just the player, but for the entire organization,” said Atkins.
Listen to the full interview:

https://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_dem...Ben-Nicholson-Smith-gs-20190711-Interview.mp3

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
@Diamond Joe Quimby

With July 31 approaching, the AL Central-leading Twins have reportedly shown interest in an array of pitchers who are potential trade candidates. The club has been connected to Madison Bumgarner, Will Smith, Marcus Stroman, Ken Giles and Kirby Yates in the rumor mill over the past few weeks. However, if the Twins are going to make win-now moves this month, it doesn’t it appear they’ll come at the expense of any of their absolute best prospects. Shortstop Royce Lewis, outfielder Alex Kirilloffand right-hander Brusdar Graterol are “off limits” in trade talks, according to LaVelle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Well thats not good to hear. It would be a non starter for me if Larnach is expected to the be the centerpiece for Stroman unless the Twins are giving us Carte blanche to pick 5-6 prospects.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Man, team is going to be exciting if we see Pearson and Bo next season. Going on the assumption that Stroman, Giles and Galvis are moved this deadline. I assume we might be getting 1-2 MLB ready arms and or a controllable position player that will slot in here.

Potential 2020 Blue Jays

C: Jansen
1B: Tellez
2B: Biggio
SS: Bichette
3B: Guerrero
LF: Gurriel
CF: Alford/Pompey or FA
RF: Grichuk
DH: FA or rotating players

Bench: Maile, Urena, Alford/Pompey and FA (Travis?)

Rotation:

Shoemaker
Sanchez
Borucki
Thornton
Pearson

Bullpen:
Tepera
Biagini
Phelps
Mayza
Gaviglio
AAA/FA/Trade
AAA/FA/Trade

Bet the Jays would have interest in bring back Smoak to split 1B/DH with Tellez. I would like the Jays to make a trade for a controllable CF either with out trade pieces now or in the offseason. Jays need to add 2 more quality bats for the 2020 team with 1 being a CF.

Need to add more arms and i wouldnt be against adding a Happ like arm to provide some innings and depth. Would love to move Sanchez to the pen and have him be our closer to regain some value. Jays have enough pen arms they can move at the 2020 deadline in Biagini, Phelps, Tepera, Mayza, Gaviglio and possible Sanchez. Last 2 spots should go to the next wave of pen arms from the system; Romano, SRF, Law etc.

Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
The team is definitely moving in the right direction. I like what I have been seeing of late with the position players. I also like Thornton as a mainstay in the rotation. Hope is that Borucki can turn the corner and be an option later this season and next.

This deadline we must rid ourselves of Galvis, Stroman, Giles and possibly one more bullpen arm. These assets can be turned into more pieces moving forward. I would attempt to trade Smoak as well if we can. These are really the only players in our clubhouse that have value and we can get rid of.

As for a CF, I really don't thing we need to be looking for one at this time. Grichuk, Gurriel, Hernandez, Alford and spot duty by Biggio depending who is on second is sufficient moving forward in the OF with Grichuk and Hernandez both being able to man that spot. Jays really need to focus on getting best available prospects regardless of positions. If it happens to be another INF so be it. Prospects can always be turned around later into other positions or traded for other pieces. Focusing on just pitching and OF help in trades may not be the way to go. Best players available approach is the best way to go.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Yep. No Stro or Giles for them.

I agree, if they are not willing to include one of their top prospects in a deal for both Stroman and Giles together then they shouldn't even be considered. Rumor has it both the twins and yankees have called the jays for both Stroman and Giles as a package. They will need to pony up for both in one deal. Both can be traded separately for a good haul let alone together for B prospects.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Here's 1 bold prediction for each team

Blue Jays: Vladimir Guerrero Jr. is going to get hot enough to not only win the AL Rookie of the Year Award, but also help the Blue Jays avoid their worst record in 40 years. Vlad Jr. has provided plenty of highlights, but he hasn’t quite taken over the league like many thought he might when he was called up on April 26. That ends in the second half, and he helps prevent the Jays from losing 100 games for the first time since 1979.

Prospects we'd like to see in 2020 Futures Game

Blue Jays: Jordan Groshans, SS/3B (TOR No. 3, MLB No. 84)
Groshans might have been selected for this year’s Future Game if not for a foot injury that’s had him sidelined since May 14. Before landing on the shelf, the 2018 No. 12 overall Draft pick produced a .337/.427/.482 slash line over 23 games at Class A Lansing while showcasing pure hitting ability that has evaluators inside and outside of the organization bullish on his future.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Man. Lewis and Kirilloff are...reasonable. But then you gotta make Graterol available.

Clearly they are more interested in secondary pieces, which the Jays do possess.

It was stated that the Jays were looking at AAA guys. Perhaps they are looking at some of those in exchange for the Smoak, Hudson, Sogard, Galvis, Phelps tier of assets the Jays have.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Man, team is going to be exciting if we see Pearson and Bo next season. Going on the assumption that Stroman, Giles and Galvis are moved this deadline. I assume we might be getting 1-2 MLB ready arms and or a controllable position player that will slot in here.

Bet the Jays would have interest in bring back Smoak to split 1B/DH with Tellez. I would like the Jays to make a trade for a controllable CF either with out trade pieces now or in the offseason. Jays need to add 2 more quality bats for the 2020 team with 1 being a CF.

Need to add more arms and i wouldnt be against adding a Happ like arm to provide some innings and depth. Would love to move Sanchez to the pen and have him be our closer to regain some value. Jays have enough pen arms they can move at the 2020 deadline in Biagini, Phelps, Tepera, Mayza, Gaviglio and possible Sanchez. Last 2 spots should go to the next wave of pen arms from the system; Romano, SRF, Law etc.

Just glancing at the proposed lineup for 2020, which I assume is Shi's. What's alarming (among other things) is the fact that it appears to be one of worst defensive infields in baseball. I hope they make a concerted effort to shift some things around via talent acquisition this deadline.

1B) Tellez (He's fine. At the end of the day, its clear the slot needs to be filled with one of Vlad or Biggio. He can cycle through DH with them as well)
2B) Biggio (not comfortable with his defense here. I worry about the range. Steady enough to be your week link, but not with an underhelming SS\1B combo. Prefer him as a utility, Marwin-esque piece.)
3B) Vlad (unless he comes into camp trim and in shape, he moves over to 1B for me. No nonsense)
SS) Bichette (like Biggio, he's fine. Reports have been positive enough that he's been passable at SS. However, with an underwhelming 3B\2B combo, there would be issues. Prefer him at 2B where the arm plays up better.)

Would try to set it up as this moving forward in the medium-term while the players are in their cost control years:

C) Jansen\McGuire
1B) Biggio\Vlad\Tellez
2B) Bichette
3B)
SS)
LF) Gurriel \ Biggio
CF)
RF) Grichuk \ Biggio
DH) Vlad\Tellez\Biggio

Agree with you, would be looking for CF (as Alford\Pompey should not be counted upon as anything other than lottery tickets at this point, even with Alford's recent improvements), but wouldn't say no to left side of the infield prospects. Arms are always a priority. Corner outfield prospects would be quite a ways down my list, of course.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Just glancing at the proposed lineup for 2020, which I assume is Shi's. What's alarming (among other things) is the fact that it appears to be one of worst defensive infields in baseball. I hope they make a concerted effort to shift some things around via talent acquisition this deadline.

1B) Tellez (He's fine. At the end of the day, its clear the slot needs to be filled with one of Vlad or Biggio. He can cycle through DH with them as well)
2B) Biggio (not comfortable with his defense here. I worry about the range. Steady enough to be your week link, but not with an underhelming SS\1B combo. Prefer him as a utility, Marwin-esque piece.)
3B) Vlad (unless he comes into camp trim and in shape, he moves over to 1B for me. No nonsense)
SS) Bichette (like Biggio, he's fine. Reports have been positive enough that he's been passable at SS. However, with an underwhelming 3B\2B combo, there would be issues. Prefer him at 2B where the arm plays up better.)

Would try to set it up as this moving forward in the medium-term while the players are in their cost control years:

C) Jansen\McGuire
1B) Biggio\Vlad\Tellez
2B) Bichette
3B)
SS)
LF) Gurriel \ Biggio
CF)
RF) Grichuk \ Biggio
DH) Vlad\Tellez\Biggio

Agree with you, would be looking for CF (as Alford\Pompey should not be counted upon as anything other than lottery tickets at this point, even with Alford's recent improvements), but wouldn't say no to left side of the infield prospects. Arms are always a priority. Corner outfield prospects would be quite a ways down my list, of course.

Im willing to give Biggio more time. i think he will be fine a 2B in the long run. But i agree with you, Vladdy has to move to 1B/DH at some point in my opinion for health and longevity reasons but there could be other positional reasons. We have Groshans, Hiraldo, Martinez, and Smith as legitimate options that can play the left side of the infield. Im a beliver in Bo at SS, i think he will be fine but if he isnt i love him arm and power to play 3B, i see Donaldson-lite. But i wouldnt be against moving him to 3B or 2B if he cant play SS, Bo also mentioned he has no problem moving around, says he would play 2B/SS/OF, anything to help the team. Groshans is another SS that likely will have to move to 3B because of size but he might be a better 3B defender than Bo.

All great problems to have but not problems yet as I have to make sure these guys are all MLB players before it becomes a "problem".

But yeah in a perfect world with everything working out i would like to see;

C) Jansen\McGuire
1B) Vlad\Tellez
2B) Biggio
3B) Groshans
SS) Bichette
LF) Gurriel
CF)
RF) Grichuk
DH) Vlad\Tellez

Pache would look great in CF but i doubt the Braves give him up.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Former jays prospect chase deJong has been released. Wouldn’t mind the jays grabbing him for depth. AAA signing. I think he was traded to the dodgers for international bonus pool money that was used to get vlad

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
@Diamond Joe Quimby

Well thats not good to hear. It would be a non starter for me if Larnach is expected to the be the centerpiece for Stroman unless the Twins are giving us Carte blanche to pick 5-6 prospects.
This should remove them from any conversation. I’d simply say forget what you said or forget about stroman

I will add is want the jays to target misael Urbina as well. A 17yr old international signing of theirs. Was ranked top 3 for international talent in his signing year. Solid of prospect. He wouldn’t be any kind of centrepiece obviously but would be a big piece I’m sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: phillipmike

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
This should remove them from any conversation. I’d simply say forget what you said or forget about stroman

Yeah, listing your top three guys as untouchable basically just means that either a) you're not interested in acquiring top talent in win-now moves, or b) they're actually full of crap and it's just a posturing thing.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
At the game tomorrow with my colleague who’s a Mets fan. Gonna chirp all night if we get a lead.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Winch is starting to face some adversity in Dunedin, couple rough starts in a row, K rate is down.
Hector Perez can’t seem to get over the hump in AA. Four scoreless innings to start, didn’t get an out in the 5th.
Sean Wymer seems to be figuring it out after a brutal start to the year. Third string start in a row.
Ryan Borucki went 5 for Buffalo. 2hr allowed among his 8bb+h. Bit rusty yet.
And again, Max Castillo was strong. 1er in 6ip with 8k’s touched for a solo shot.

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
Would be nice to see Kevin Smith get going on the second half. Only 22 in AA, but tough start getting the ball in play

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Cliff Floyd and Hazel Mae discuss whether the Toronto Blue Jays should try and trade Justin Smoak, Eric Sogard and Freddy Galvis.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
The education of a Blue Jays prospect: ‘I’m not near as good as I thought I was,’ says pitcher Adam Kloffenstein - The Athletic
That he would initiate an apprenticeship with the club’s top pitching prospect is a measure of Kloffenstein’s precocity and his awakening to how much he had to learn. His chutzpah wasn’t new. His humility was. Suddenly, with rehabbing big-leaguers and more experienced prospects around him every day, he began to grasp how little he knew about the game he’d been so good at in high school.

“I’m a pretty big pride guy,” he said. “I’ve never been the guy that watches what everyone else does because I always felt like I was better than everyone – which was pretty much the case in high school.

“But here you’ve got to swallow your pride. You look at these older guys and you’re like, hey, no matter how tall they are, how hard they throw, how much money they make, all that stuff, the bottom line is they’re in the big leagues. So they all do something well.”

Quickly, he could tell that Pearson – now in Double A – did a lot well, not only in the way he pitched but in the way he prepared to pitch.

“Pearson’s work ethic is out of this world,” Kloffenstein said. “I compare myself to him – big guy, throws hard, got all the repertoire of pitches. I really like to watch him work. He’s a big believer in preparation, always taking care of himself. Every time you see him, he’s doing something.”

In the weight room, Kloffenstein rode an exercise bike and studied Pearson’s workout routine. Sometimes they worked out together. At mealtime, Kloffenstein picked up nutrition tips.

That fall, the Jays sent them both to Lansing for an exhibition game between the Jays’ farm team and Michigan State University. They roomed together. Kloffenstein tuned in to Pearson’s game-day routine, another homage to the importance of preparation. From the time he woke up, Pearson was locked in. Kloffenstein says he was too.

He also learned from watching Pearson pitch.

“He obviously throws really frickin’ hard,” Kloffenstein said. “But what’s impressive is that most guys that throw 100 miles an hour rely on it, and he doesn’t at all. He’s got many pitches, and he can throw them all.”

The record shows that the teenager threw only two one-inning stints in the Gulf Coast League in his first pro season. But those games were the least important part of his early-prospect education. His biggest takeaway: pro ball is a full-time job.

The lessons continue apace in Vancouver, where his work has been promising, if a little uneven (3.66 ERA in five starts covering 19 2/3 innings).

“I’ve learned way more than I thought I was going to,” he said, “and I’m not near as good as I thought I was.”

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I was watching today's broadcast and saw that Giles didn't pitch in a save situation. Dr. Buck claimed on air that he saw Giles in the clubhouse and that he "seemed OK". Any word on if a move is close or are they just playing things safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad