Blue Jays Discussion: Do you want to learn the horrifying truth? Or do you want to see Vlad Jr. sock some dingers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Fun times are about to begin, very interested to see what the Jays can acquire for Stroman, Giles, Smoak and Galvis. Should be an interesting 10-15 days.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Fun times are about to begin, very interested to see what the Jays can acquire for Stroman, Giles, Smoak and Galvis. Should be an interesting 10-15 days.

I'd imagine Daniel Hudson and Eric Sogard at the very least would also generate some interest.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
We have some good pieces to move this summer.

Hoping we can get some higher potential guys instead of 24-25 year old guys who are serviceable but tapped out for potential

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
How a Blue Jays reunion with Edwin Encarnacion could benefit young stars - Sportsnet.ca
NEW YORK – The most pressing leverage point right now for the Toronto Blue Jays is, of course, the upcoming trade deadline and that’s rightly where the club’s focus currently lies. Still, it’s never too early to start thinking about the ideas for the off-season, and one avenue worth examination is what the Minnesota Twins cleverly did to bolster their lineup last winter.

In signing Nelson Cruz to a $14.3-million, one-year contract with a $12 million club option for 2020, they inserted a reliable, professional and productive bat into the three-hole, providing a stabilizing force for a core of young hitters. It’s not solely because of him that Max Kepler, Jorge Polanco, Eddie Rosario and Byron Buxton have taken steps forward, but his presence has certainly been a factor, an experienced resource delivering on and off the field.

One school of thought around the Blue Jays is that Vladimir Guerrero Jr., Cavan Biggio, Lourdes Gurriel Jr., Danny Jansen and the soon-to-arrive Bo Bichette could similarly benefit from the addition of someone like Cruz.

At this point, the AL Central leaders appear sure to exercise the 39-year-old’s option, so he’s probably off the table. But an intriguing potential fit is old friend Edwin Encarnacion, who is currently tied for second in the American League with 25 homers and may end up a free agent as it’s no certainty that the New York Yankees pick up his $20-million option.

Imagine, a reunion between Encarnacion and the Blue Jays?

“It’s something I can’t control, man,” the slugger says when the idea is broached to him. “When I left Toronto, I loved Toronto. I love that place. I’ve got great memories in that place, but it’s something I can’t control. Right now, I’ve got that option. I don’t know what’s going to happen, we’re going to wait and see.”

The topic, obviously, is a difficult one for the 36-year-old to discuss while under contract to the American League East leaders, but his affinity for Toronto is an opportunity should the Blue Jays decide to go back down the road.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
MLB insider Jeff Passan joins Sportsnet 590 The FAN to discuss the trade market the Blue Jays will face for Marcus Stroman, and why the Houston Astros would be an absolute perfect fit for a trade.

Shi Davidi says the New York Yankees, San Diego Padres, and Houston Astros are likely in play for Marcus Stroman.

Reactions: Kurtz

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

I'm sure the Jays would be willing to be in the market for some cap dumps if it is like the Hutchinson - Liriano trade from a few years ago. Harold Ramirez is currently playing for Miami and Reece McGuire could supplant Maile as the backup catcher before the end of this year. Considering Liriano was also productive and eventually netted Teoscar Hernandez, who is currently playing for the Jays and still has some upside, that was a pretty good deal.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Actually brought this up before but i doubt the team would be interested nor EE as im sure he wants as many shots at World Series... though if he wins one this year then maybe he would consider a return.

Boy have i been wrong about EE more than once this season. Thought his play would decline dramatically with the Mariners but with Seattle he was on pace for almost a career year. Then he gets traded to the Yankees and i think that was a shrewd move by the Yankees, setting up a murders row and he has been horrible.

Edwin Encarnacion with:
Seattle:
0:75 BB/K, 137 wRC+, Soft-Medium-Hard Contact (19.0 % 41.3 % 39.7 %)
New York: 0:26 BB/K, 48 wRC+, Soft-Medium-Hard Contact (26.5 % 44.9 % 28.6 %)

His contact in and out of the strike zone is almost the same but he is swinging more in total.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Actually brought this up before but i doubt the team would be interested nor EE as im sure he wants as many shots at World Series... though if he wins one this year then maybe he would consider a return.

Boy have i been wrong about EE more than once this season. Thought his play would decline dramatically with the Mariners but with Seattle he was on pace for almost a career year. Then he gets traded to the Yankees and i think that was a shrewd move by the Yankees, setting up a murders row and he has been horrible.

Edwin Encarnacion with:
Seattle:
0:75 BB/K, 137 wRC+, Soft-Medium-Hard Contact (19.0 % 41.3 % 39.7 %)
New York: 0:26 BB/K, 48 wRC+, Soft-Medium-Hard Contact (26.5 % 44.9 % 28.6 %)

His contact in and out of the strike zone is almost the same but he is swinging more in total.

But but but but the other day Buck assured me that the pinstripes were nothing short of magical in how they just made guys play better. Like Gio Urshela! Or I assume Derek Jeter. I mean, Buck didn't specifically mention Jeter out loud, but we all know he was thinking about it because when is he not thinking about Derek Jeter?

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
But but but but the other day Buck assured me that the pinstripes were nothing short of magical in how they just made guys play better. Like Gio Urshela! Or I assume Derek Jeter. I mean, Buck didn't specifically mention Jeter out loud, but we all know he was thinking about it because when is he not thinking about Derek Jeter?

I’m still waiting for the magic of the pinstripes to work on Tulowitzki.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
5 trade ideas so crazy they might just work

The Twins get a pitching pair
Minnesota gets: RHP Marcus Stroman and RHP Ken Giles

Toronto gets: RHP Brusdar Graterol, SS Wander Javier, RHP Griffin Jax, OF Gabriel Maciel and LHP Ryley Widell

A surge from the Indians combined with a slump from the Twins created something more closely resembling a legit race in the American League Central just before the All-Star break.

But the Central itself isn’t all the Twins have to consider at this Deadline. Are they good enough to advance in a top-heavy AL with two powerhouses in Houston and New York? And how will they address the rotation at season’s end, when Jake Odorizzi, Michael Pineda and Kyle Gibson are free agents?

Enter Stroman, who would bring both swagger and an additional year of control to the Twin Cities. Giles is also under team control through 2020 and would allow some of the arms in the 'pen to slide into lower-leverage roles.

The Twins have enough pieces in their system to be aggressive in trying to nail down their first division title in nine years, and their Nos. 3 (Graterol, No. 50 overall), 6 (Javier), 23 (Jax) and 25 (Maciel) prospects would be nice building blocks for a Toronto team in transition. Graterol is reportedly off-limits in trade talks, but the market for Stroman should be competitive.

Who says no? With few controllable starters available in this market and the majority of contenders in need of bullpen help, the Blue Jays might be able to hold out for a better offer.

Seems like we are giving up a lot more than we are getting. Best controlled pitcher and reliever in the market and all we are getting back is one top 50 pitching prospect.

Should get more value if you split them up.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
5 trade ideas so crazy they might just work

Seems like we are giving up a lot more than we are getting. Best controlled pitcher and reliever in the market and all we are getting back is one top 50 pitching prospect.

Should get more value if you split them up.

If you look at the surplus value, it's probably not far off. Hopefully they can do a bit better than that because there are no better options than Stroman and Giles (so the demand should be high) and the acquiring team will also get two playoff runs out of them... but I wouldn't hate that.

(Having said that, unless it's upping the value of the top prospects to a 55-60 FV, I think you're right that it's best to split them up.)

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I’m still waiting for the magic of the pinstripes to work on Tulowitzki.

Ummm, he waited until he actually got to spring training AND playing games before he got injured. That's pretty magical. We're talking magic here not miracles.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I wouldnt start him either. He proved his shoulder is healthy last start and now let the bids begin.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Buster Olney writes (ESPN+) that prices for players are insane right now, including rentals.

This is it, Shatkins, no more excuses - we need to cash in the most valuable sp and rp on the market for some actual blue-chip pitching prospects. Trading for more over-ripe AAAA players won't cut it this year.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I don't understand why you'd want to trade Stroman to NYY, the guy is still in his prime and will murder you for years to come. Yanks better overpay if they want him, don't get why you'd hand your biggest rival a starting pitcher.

Reactions: Kurtz

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I don't understand why you'd want to trade Stroman to NYY, the guy is still in his prime and will murder you for years to come. Yanks better overpay if they want him, don't get why you'd hand your biggest rival a starting pitcher.

Agreed - not only is Stroshow going to murder us in the division for the next 3-4 years, but we'd be getting one or more of the Yankees garbage overrated prospects.

Seriously, has a single Yankee prospect dealt over the past decade lived up to his hype? How's Jesus Montero doing nowadays? How about Justus Sheffield? When is Phil Hughes' hall of fame ceremony happening?

We seem to have the Padres on the line. Best farm in the majors, purportedly. There's your deal right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->