Blue Jays Discussion: Do you want to learn the horrifying truth? Or do you want to see Vlad Jr. sock some dingers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronald Ocean

Disregard username
Sep 12, 2008
About the Tulo post... I was at that spring game where he hit the HR and yankees fans were losing their minds. Sat there shaking my head.. they somehow had no idea what was coming.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
How would that be the order?
Hector has not been good.
I’d try to resist the urge.

I like it. I posted last week that I was hoping they would do it for this start, but obviously they decided to give Jackson another start for some reason. Diaz and Perez are kind of interchangeable, but it shouldn't matter because Murphy clearly deserves the chance over them. He's been excellent two years in a row now.

As far as resisting the urge... Murphy turns 24 on Monday. It's not like they would be rushing a kid or anything. He's earned a shot.

They technically don't need to replace Jackson in the rotation until next Saturday.

Reactions: canucksfan

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
In retrospect maybe we might have been better off holding on to Happ and qualifying him rather than trade him for so little. Drury and McKinney have been terrible and imo aren't long term pieces, and our pitching staff is currently being held together by used bubble gum and the hopes and wishes of small children.:laugh:

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
In retrospect maybe we might have been better off holding on to Happ and qualifying him rather than trade him for so little. Drury and McKinney have been terrible and imo aren't long term pieces, and our pitching staff is currently being held together by used bubble gum and the hopes and wishes of small children.:laugh:

Drury is showing some life over the last few weeks but yeah that trade was one that made little sense in terms of what we got and age of players we got back.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Here's our favorite Draft pick for all 30 teams

Blue Jays: Kendall Williams, RHP, IMG Academy (Fla.), 2nd round
A quintessential projectable high school right-hander at 6-foot-6, Williams gets excellent plate on a low-90s fastball that could sit consistently in the mid-90s with physical development. He has a deep arsenal of secondary pitches, too, showing feel for a pair of breaking balls as well as a changeup, and stands to make significant gains with his control and command as he learns to better repeat his delivery.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Drury is showing some life over the last few weeks but yeah that trade was one that made little sense in terms of what we got and age of players we got back.
I hope so but 15 games is too small a sample for me to get too excited over. The guy has 9 walks in 50 games! That makes Randal Grichuk look like Kevin Youkilis.

This old article pretty much summed up my thoughts at the time of the trade and still ring true now:

The Toronto Blue Jays Are Now Happless
What I don’t quite understand is the Blue Jay’s side of this trade. I’m at the point where I feel time has run out on this core. Even assuming that Vladimir Guerrero Jr. and Bo Bichette work out wonderfully, there are too many organizational holes/questions to just hunker down until the prospects arrive. Working under that assumption, it’s a challenge to see why the team would be all that interested in Drury or McKinney, both who are better depth pieces for a contending team in the next couple of years. I understand that two months of J.A. Happ’s services isn’t going to fetch a bevy of top prospects — and while the Blue Jays didn’t really lose from a pure value standpoint — I’m not quite sure how this value is determined. I’d much rather get a couple of lottery-pick prospects from deep in the Yankees depth chart than safer high-floor, no-ceiling picks.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I hope so but 15 games is too small a sample to get excited over. The guy has 9 walks in 50 games! That makes Randal Grichuk look like Kevin Youkilis.

This old article pretty much summed up my thoughts at the time of the trade and still ring true now:

The Toronto Blue Jays Are Now Happless

Pretty much, remember a lot of guys who said the same. I remember saying i didnt want Frazier for Happ because i didnt think the return was good enough, now i would kill for Frazier.

I didnt mind Drury but not as the centerpiece, an all around bad deal unless this FO sees big potential or breakout in Drury and McKinney, heck even a 1-1.5 WAR season would be a small success. Still bad.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Yeah, one of McKinney or Drury as the secondary piece (decent roster filler with multiple years of control and enough upside that they could become something more if everything breaks right) with a higher-upside/higher-risk player as the centerpiece would have been a perfectly fine deal. Getting two of the former type was a weird move.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

I've never been a fan of Drury and I've never understood the interest in him from around the league. But you can see hints of something more now and then - flashes of plus power, solid defense at 2B and 3B, stretches where he makes a lot of solid contact. He has a long way to go if he's even going to become something more than a bench piece, but it's in there somewhere.

At the very least he seems to have his early-season strikeout issues under control for now.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I've never been a fan of Drury and I've never understood the interest in him from around the league. But you can see hints of something more now and then - flashes of plus power, solid defense at 2B and 3B, stretches where he makes a lot of solid contact. He has a long way to go if he's even going to become something more than a bench piece, but it's in there somewhere.

At the very least he seems to have his early-season strikeout issues under control for now.

I liked him early on, i thought the Yankees getting him in the off-season to be a utility guy was a fantastic move for them. But he should not have been the centerpiece for the best starting pitcher on the market imo and likely in many others.

But as you say he still has hope to be more than a bench player which i think he will but the return was always underwhelming.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I like it. I posted last week that I was hoping they would do it for this start, but obviously they decided to give Jackson another start for some reason. Diaz and Perez are kind of interchangeable, but it shouldn't matter because Murphy clearly deserves the chance over them. He's been excellent two years in a row now.

As far as resisting the urge... Murphy turns 24 on Monday. It's not like they would be rushing a kid or anything. He's earned a shot.

They technically don't need to replace Jackson in the rotation until next Saturday.
Agree that Murphy is at the top of the pecking order there, great performance pretty much his entire minor league career. And I agree that the AA pitching is appearing more projectable than the gang scuffling at AAA.
And yes he’s 24 (on Monday actually, happy b-day PM) but had just 12 starts above a-ball and about 75 innings, accounting for the loss of the ‘15 season.
A spot start doesn’t seem the worst idea (the org’s been shuffling some guys recently, but I’m just leery. I expected the AA group to push by September and more trials for what seemed like a good/not great set of options in Syracuse.
Perez, on the other hand, I’d totally rule out. He’s gotta harness that stuff. I don’t know what the issue is (not a guru or even educated on mechanics) but guys all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->