Salary Cap: Do you trust Kyle Dubas with salary negotiations?

Do you trust Kyle Dubas with salary negotiations?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
You treat them with respect and give then a good offer and they will sign. Dubas took longer with nylander than almost any other RFA in NHL history. And in the end he got bent over. But a good sign of his negotiating prowess.
So all GMs have failed is what you are saying? Because no RFA is signing.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Maybe if Lou didnt fight these guys over their signing bonuses, they'd be more inclined to have an easy negotiation with the team now. No doubt about it, Lou set a negative tone with these guys and the Leafs will have to pay for it.

Reactions: Menzinger

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Maybe if Lou didnt fight these guys over their signing bonuses, they'd be more inclined to have an easy negotiation with the team now. No doubt about it, Lou set a negative tone with these guys and the Leafs will have to pay for it.

Alternatively if you give them everything they want like spoiled children, they will come to expect that going forward from the organization.

I think that was the proper approach and so far, Dubas being a really nice guy hasn't helped him or the team with player negotiations.

Everyone here knows the saying about nice guys I take it.

Reactions: socko and rumman

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I would say that this year and next year are the two most important years for the leafs organization since... I don't even know when. We either have our elite young core locked up long term under reasonable contracts, or things could really fall apart quickly.

Having a rookie unproven GM "learn as he goes" for these two intensely important seasons is mind-boggling.

Reactions: Faltorvo

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Arvedsson, coming off of a 30 goal/60 point season, signed for 4.25 x 7.

The list of players with similar/better stats than nylander that got signed on MUCH better contracts gets bigger and bigger.

I don't think it was very smart to have a rookie gm at the helm while trying to get the big three signed. And the Nylander contract exposed that.

I will say, though, that if the Leafs had to overpay by 15% to one of the Big 3, I’m glad it was to Nylander and not to Matthews and Marner.

I hope Dubas has learned his lesson. If Dubas overpays Matthews and Marner by 15% as well, then God help this team.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I would say that this year and next year are the two most important years for the leafs organization since... I don't even know when. We either have our elite young core locked up long term under reasonable contracts, or things could really fall apart quickly.

Having a rookie unproven GM "learn as he goes" for these two intensely important seasons is mind-boggling.

I mentioned this a few years ago (in 2015?) that Dubas should not have been GM for at least 7 years. To give him time to learn the ropes, establish a reputation and establish connections.

When he became GM last year, I was hoping I’d be wrong.

I fear I may have been right after all.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I will say, though, that if the Leafs had to overpay by 15% to one of the Big 3, I’m glad it was to Nylander and not to Matthews and Marner.

I hope Dubas has learned his lesson. If Dubas overpays Matthews and Marner by 15% as well, then God help this team.

where on earth are you pulling this number out of?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I mentioned this a few years ago (in 2015?) that Dubas should not have been GM for at least 7 years. To give him time to learn the ropes, establish a reputation and establish connections.

When he became GM last year, I was hoping I’d be wrong.

I fear I may have been right after all.

Why do you fear?

on the basis of what?

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Ehlers and Larkin

The problem is Ehlers doesn’t have anyone blowing smoke up his ass in Winnipeg, nor Larkin in Detroit. Nor Kucherov and Point in Tampa, nor Rantanen in Colorado.

Only Matthews, Marner and Nylander are told on a daily basis how godly they are, and they come to believe it themselves.

If you listen to the so-called “experts”, you would think Marner will get paid more than Kucherov’s 9.5 million when Marner has done nothing to play up to Kucherov’s level. Nor Matthews, for that matter.

Dubas needs to put a stake in the ground and say “NO MORE”. You get paid based on league comparables, NOT how great the media says you are.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The problem is Ehlers doesn’t have anyone blowing smoke up his ass in Winnipeg, nor Larkin in Detroit. Nor Kucherov and Point in Tampa, nor Rantanen in Colorado.

Only Matthews, Marner and Nylander are told on a daily basis how godly they are, and they come to believe it themselves.

If you listen to the so-called “experts”, you would think Marner will get paid more than Kucherov’s 9.5 million when Marner has done nothing to play up to Kucherov’s level. Nor Matthews, for that matter.

Dubas needs to put a stake in the ground and say “NO MORE”. You get paid based on league comparables, NOT how great the media says you are.
...but they do and did.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I never thought Nylander was anywhere near the player Larkin is, larkin's game is complete, Nylander's not so much. "Elite zone entries aside..........
Honestly I'm not a Larkin fan. He's having a good year, but I still consider him a secondary piece on a good team much like Nylander. While Larkin's speed gives him an advantage, I think Nylander has better vision and shot.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Honestly I'm not a Larkin fan. He's having a good year, but I still consider him a secondary piece on a good team much like Nylander. While Larkin's speed gives him an advantage, I think Nylander has better vision and shot.
ask yourself this: who does Larkin play with? Now imagine him on Mathews wing..........nuff said.

upload_2019-1-19_12-27-6.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad