Salary Cap: Do you trust Kyle Dubas with salary negotiations?

Do you trust Kyle Dubas with salary negotiations?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
That's just opinion. Different than whether or not he has inside sources. Clearly he does.
Because he claimed it and it can't be proven.
And be honest, did you really think Marner should get 9 million per last summer? And did you really think prior to July 1st Tavares only ever wanted to go to the Leafs? You must have posts to show this belief.
I know I have a thread I made asking why no one think Tavares would ever go to the Leafs.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
And be honest, did you really think Marner should get 9 million per last summer? And did you really think prior to July 1st Tavares only ever wanted to go to the Leafs? You must have posts to show this belief.
I know I have a thread I made asking why no one think Tavares would ever go to the Leafs.
If anyone deserves getting over paid on the Leafs, it's Marner. Not Mathews, and certainly not Nylander.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Wouldn't Dubas not care about the no state tax for the Lighting players? I mean in the end Kucherov still signed for an AAV of $9.5 million for 8 years and I think that's what matters the most when looking at comparable contracts. Plus what if the Leafs could work out a signing bonus like they gave Tavares, because that's an advantage they have over a lot of teams.

No he would have to offer more because the players wouldn't accept it. Why would Marner sign a comparable contracr from Tampa if that means he gets a lot less money than the comparable?

Also, signing bonuses are apart of the contract caphit no?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

You can say that about any rumor. If EF reports a trade being talked about, nobody can verify its true. You just have to determine if the source is credible. By the rules governing this site, Kypper is a credible source of news. Case closed.

It depends how you projected him. If you thought he was going to end up getting $10-12M per year, then yes $9M would make sense. If you thought he was going to be a $7M player, then no. I was bullish on salaries for our top guys. Our young GM doesn't think signing our top guys is a priority until the season starts I guess. That seems like a poor strategy.

I knew Tavares to Leafs was the likely outcome the Tuesday before July 1st. Or somewhere around there anyway. I started posting heavily in the thread on the main board. I rarely interject in those threads, but I did there for a reason. I wouldn't risk my reputation being flat out wrong.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
And be honest, did you really think Marner should get 9 million per last summer?

No, I don't pay a guy that for half a good season, but I know a lot of posters would have.

And did you really think prior to July 1st Tavares only ever wanted to go to the Leafs? You must have posts to show this belief.
I think Toronto was a big factor, the team he grew up rooting for, I think the talent level was a factor, the age of the team was a factor, money was a factor, the guys he was promised to play with a factor, I think Dubas is given way too much credit for his sales job, it didn't matter. However, he was never a slam dunk for the Leafs. His loyalty to the Islanders was in play and San Jose offered the most money and best climate.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
You can say that about any rumor. If EF reports a trade being talked about, nobody can verify its true. You just have to determine if the source is credible. By the rules governing this site, Kypper is a credible source of news. Case closed.

It depends how you projected him. If you thought he was going to end up getting $10-12M per year, then yes $9M would make sense. If you thought he was going to be a $7M player, then no. I was bullish on salaries for our top guys. Our young GM doesn't think signing our top guys is a priority until the season starts I guess. That seems like a poor strategy.

I knew Tavares to Leafs was the likely outcome the Tuesday before July 1st. Or somewhere around there anyway. I started posting heavily in the thread on the main board. I rarely interject in those threads, but I did there for a reason. I wouldn't risk my reputation being flat out wrong.
Yeah but I asked what YOU thought.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
No, I don't pay a guy that for half a good season, but I know a lot of posters would have.

I think Toronto was a big factor, the team he grew up rooting for, I think the talent level was a factor, the age of the team was a factor, money was a factor, the guys he was promised to play with a factor, I think Dubas is given way too much credit for his sales job, it didn't matter. However, he was never a slam dunk for the Leafs. His loyalty to the Islanders was in play and San Jose offered the most money and best climate.
That's wonderful. I just never read posts like this prior to July 1st. And Kyle gets too much credit? I read posts from people giving him zero credit for the biggest NHL UFA signing in 12 years.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Don't expect to get any RFAs signed to much less who have good stats.
Arvedsson, coming off of a 30 goal/60 point season, signed for 4.25 x 7.

The list of players with similar/better stats than nylander that got signed on MUCH better contracts gets bigger and bigger.

I don't think it was very smart to have a rookie gm at the helm while trying to get the big three signed. And the Nylander contract exposed that.

Reactions: Faltorvo

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Yeah but I asked what YOU thought.

It's hard to say. I'm not in the negotiations. I would have had him done on July 1st, along with Matthews. My bet would have been that signing JT will mean Marner will have a huge year (which he is), so whatever he's asking for in July 1st 2018 is likely less than what he will be asking for after this season. You could look at my old posts, I think I had Marner coming in above $8M, maybe even more than that. So $9M seems reasonable to me. Likely they could have knocked him down under 9 with enough other incentives.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
more than Nylander deserved 7.

You thought Marner for 9M was more fair than Willy for 7M laat year? Not based on this year?

If that's true, then we are truly done for. Marner's become part of the PK, improved his play and consistency considerably, going to put up 40 more points than last year. You would be fine with him signing for 11.5M?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
It's hard to say. I'm not in the negotiations. I would have had him done on July 1st, along with Matthews. My bet would have been that signing JT will mean Marner will have a huge year (which he is), so whatever he's asking for in July 1st 2018 is likely less than what he will be asking for after this season. You could look at my old posts, I think I had Marner coming in above $8M, maybe even more than that. So $9M seems reasonable to me. Likely they could have knocked him down under 9 with enough other incentives.

Players have to want to sign Have you noticed zero NHL GMs have signed their RFAs?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I predict that all 3 Amigo's contracts will be larger than most posters on this board would have believed/predicted & hoped Dubas would get them signed to.

Dubas is already 0-1 with Nylander and needed to wait to Dec 1st to lose that battle.

The next 2 contracts going to be even more difficult and what once seemed like 8 year deals are now trending to 5-6 years max with both Matthews and Marner signing for terms that give up the least amount of UFA years for the most money $$ they can get.

I personally don't mind Dubas, but his inexperience is showing and he is going up against veteran agents.

Last edited:

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
That's wonderful. I just never read posts like this prior to July 1st. And Kyle gets too much credit? I read posts from people giving him zero credit for the biggest NHL UFA signing in 12 years.

Because he deserves very little credit. Zero is harsh. But using a 0-100 scale, I would peg his impact at something less than 1.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I predict that all 3 Amigo's contracts will be larger than most posters on this board would have believed/predicted & hoped Dubas would get them signed to.

Dubas is already 0-1 with Nylander and needed to wait to Dec 1st to lose that battle.

The next 2 contracts going to be even more difficult and what once seemed like 8 year deals are now trending to 5-6 years max with both Matthews and Marner signing for terms that give up the least amount of UFA years for the most money $$ they can get.
I am so glad Mess you admit how wrong you were about Marner.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Because he deserves very little credit. Zero is harsh. But using a 0-100 scale, I would peg his impact at something less than 1.

So if he deserves zero credit, what GMs deserve credit for UFA signings? Because he had to do a hell of a lot more work. Sounds like he filmed a god damn Hollywood commercial.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You thought Marner for 9M was more fair than Willy for 7M laat year? Not based on this year?

If that's true, then we are truly done for. Marner's become part of the PK, improved his play and consistency considerably, going to put up 40 more points than last year. You would be fine with him signing for 11.5M?
I never said that, I said "if any player on the leafs deserves to be over paid it's Marner, not Mathews and certainly not Nylander.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Players have to want to sign Have you noticed zero NHL GMs have signed their RFAs?

You treat them with respect and give then a good offer and they will sign. Dubas took longer with nylander than almost any other RFA in NHL history. And in the end he got bent over. But a good sign of his negotiating prowess.

Reactions: rumman

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Arvedsson, coming off of a 30 goal/60 point season, signed for 4.25 x 7.

The list of players with similar/better stats than nylander that got signed on MUCH better contracts gets bigger and bigger.

I don't think it was very smart to have a rookie gm at the helm while trying to get the big three signed. And the Nylander contract exposed that.
I've heard nothing but disparaging things about the Draisatl contract for the last year or so. I would take that contract any day over Nylanders. 1 for 1 swap Nylander for Draisatl no salary retention? No brainer.

Reactions: rumman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad