Salary Cap: Do you trust Kyle Dubas with salary negotiations?

Do you trust Kyle Dubas with salary negotiations?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
They are ahead of us in the standings. Why would they tank?

Lou took chicken you know what and made a tasty chicken salad.

Our guy apparently didn't write down the recipe for success before Lou left.

Barry Trotz is the reason the Islanders are where they are. Lou spent the Islanders $. You know how you give Dubas zero credit for the TAvares signing? You should give Lou even less credit for bringing in Trotz.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Dubas + Pridham = Lethal combo.

Willy's contract should be an AAV of 7.5M/year but is down to 6.96/year after that long holdout. 0.5M cap savings. Traded dead weight contracts to get additional room. Also negotiating smaller deals such as Trevor Moore's still deserves some credit. Tavares doesn't really count because we offered less money than other teams but he really just wanted to come home. I'd say Tavares beside Marner is more than producing at an 11M cap hit.

Reactions: AreBe

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
They are ahead of us in the standings. Why would they tank?

Lou took chicken you know what and made a tasty chicken salad.

Our guy apparently didn't write down the recipe for success before Lou left.
For the exact reason I questioned. Is that team good enough to win a cup? Plenty of their fans wanted to rebuild this offseason and they're having a great year.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We got a stats geek technocrat as a GM, thank goodness!
Dubas knows how to do some Advanced Analytics/$ /Cap = what we are willing to pay a player, and he sees this clearly, his hockey vision is not blurry
Dubas is a sharp and we are lucky to have him - solid brain, not of any woodness
Dubas will not listen to the demands of the fans who want to turn the team into some kind of hockey slurry
Remember it is a long- term plan too, so we don't want to unload all the kids either, we want long term joy with some fullness.

This is hilarious. Knee slapper! :thumbu:

Reactions: AreBe

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
It feels like everything is falling apart under Dubas, the team is losing, Matthews looks meh, people want the coach fired, lots of whining, we should have kept Lou

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
It feels like everything is falling apart under Dubas, the team is losing, Matthews looks meh, people want the coach fired, lots of whining, we should have kept Lou

Thought Shanahan was a builder.

Firing and finishing last wasn’t an unique accomplishment.

Building is.

Why no spotlight here?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Barry Trotz is the reason the Islanders are where they are. Lou spent the Islanders $. You know how you give Dubas zero credit for the TAvares signing? You should give Lou even less credit for bringing in Trotz.

Trotz...and .930 goaltending from Robin Lehner.

Reactions: Menzinger

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
same coach, better players, something has changed from last year to this year?

Not the right blend of size, skill, grit, heart, and other tangible and intangible qualities on the team.

You need all types of players to assemble a successful hockey team and not just speed and offensive skill.

Leafs weaknesses have been well documented, and as time is passing that 9-9-2 (last 20 games 1/4 a season) = .500 hockey team is reaffirming that.

Reactions: Duffman955

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

I think it's a marginal difference, but I believe the team is slightly better this season compared to the current point of last season. The Atlantic Division - and probably a good enough portion of the Eastern Conference - is also more competitive in comparison too. Changes within the Leafs perhaps, but changes within other teams too. Nevertheless, the Leafs have to adapt to it all if they wish to continue to compete.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
why is that all you spotlight?

Probably because I’m a big picture thinker and not naive to think that Dubas operates with complete autonomy.

There isn’t a Dubaplan. There are Dubathoughts that need Shanapproval.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Probably because I’m a big picture thinker and not naive to think that Dubas operates with complete autonomy.

There isn’t a Dubaplan. There are Dubathoughts that need Shanapproval.
Or you have a weird fixation, one of the two.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Lehner .930 and Greiss .920 have the exact amount of starts , Trots has done an exceptional job of getting a team with pretty much only Barzal and crap to perform so well this year regardless of which goalie is in net .

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
Not the right blend of size, skill, grit, heart, and other tangible and intangible qualities on the team.

You need all types of players to assemble a successful hockey team and not just speed and offensive skill.

Leafs weaknesses have been well documented, and as time is passing that 9-9-2 (last 20 games 1/4 a season) = .500 hockey team is reaffirming that.

It's been 20 games since Nylander returned. Coupled with injuries to key players, I think the before performance of the club and the after demand inclusion in the assessment.

This isn't a .500 hockey team and the time before the time not to mention the record of the club, reaffirm that.

Reactions: Menzinger

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

But but but zone entries.... but but but speed and skill game....... but but but Corsi.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
My ideal scenario was to keep Lou for one more season, primarily because I thought he could handle these contracts. I also thought the Zaitsev deal was a complete failure, his biggest blunder as GM. That said, Lou was seasoned and had a real rep with agents as a hardass, felt we could use that experience going into this complex negotiation, Dubas at his side getting experience. Perhaps the wrong year for a rookie GM to figure it out. I submit the handling of Nylander as an example.

Others can disagree, but keeping the old vet one more year with a true transition to Kyle seemed a solid course given this is a huge year for our GM.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Statistically not much has changed

Last year 105 points vs this year 60 points in 48 games = 103 points.

Last year 277 GF vs this year on pace 287 GF

Last year 232 GA vs this year on pace for 234 GA

Last year goal differential +45 vs this year on pace +52

League wide scoring is up but Leafs are only trending towards +10 goals for and +2 GA on the season and about the same amount of points.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It's been 20 games since Nylander returned. Coupled with injuries to key players, I think the before performance of the club and the after demand inclusion in the assessment.

This isn't a .500 hockey team and the time before the time not to mention the record of the club, reaffirm that.

Leafs 20-8-0 in first 28 = .700
vs
Leafs 9-9-2 in last 20 = .500.

The first is without Nylander and the last 20 with him.

The first 28 games is also while missing Matthews for 14 (or 1/2) of them.

With Matthews and Nylander in the last 20 the Leafs are playing at .500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->