Do you think if Kucherov were Canadian and McDavid were Russian there'd be a different narrative?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
So kinda like how the Bolts last night could have rested the supposedly ailing Kucherov, but gotta get them PP points up 6-0 in the 3rd?
Lol you want to take a dirty run at one of our guys, don't be shocked when we say f*** the code and run up the score.

P10p

May 15, 2012
So kinda like how the Bolts last night could have rested the supposedly ailing Kucherov, but gotta get them PP points up 6-0 in the 3rd?

What stupid logic, you don't rest a red hot powerplay unit in the playoffs, no matter the score.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
whats the narrative? McDavid is a true Generational player. He burst onto the scene at 18 and was over a PPG on a garbage team, then won the ross and hart in his 19 year old season, just like Crosby. Kucherov is simply an elite player, on a Hall of fame trajectory, but not at that level of Crosby/Ovechkin/McDavid where they were elite from the second they stepped on NHL ice as teenagers and remained that way for their whole careers.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
That is correct but it also inflates his stats a little too. It’s similar to how Hall scores ridiculous numbers of points in NJ
I'm positive he (and me) would prefer less ice time, better linemates and less inflated stats.

I've noticed it for years when we play the Leafs or Bruins. Pasta will get 3 points in 16 minutes and Connor gets 2 points in 25 minutes. You just see Pasta on the bench with 2 elite linemates and then there are still awesome players on the ice for the B's (including the goalie and the D).lol Then you see Connor and he's got one great linemate and that's about it. Same when we play Matthews and the Leafs. Connor has no concept of being on the bench while watchng guys like Nylander and Tavares out there.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Point is, there is a whole forum post dedicated to the "hE wAsNt iNjUrEd" narrative. Follow along.
WTF are you talking about?

Maybe McDavid should have rested for the playoffs instead of chasing meaningless garbage points after their position was locked?

But hey, he can say he has another 100 point season, and isn't that what really matters?

This is the asinine post that started it all.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
He will certainly be greater than Malkin, (who didn't even make the Canadian Pundits Top 100) Ovechkin will be tough given all those Goals.

I think it will be close. I can't see him esclipsing Malkin's regular season totals and in the playoffs Malkin is no slouch either. Kucherov took quite a few years to reach star then superstar status, and now that he's there will he be able to sustain it? And more importantly can the team after the circumvention loop hole is taken care of and they actual have cap casualties?

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
I remember when the Sedins were in their prime, they were talking about something similar on TV on how they would be the face of Canadian hockey if they were Canadians. Were extremely good, won awards, rarely missed games etc etc... but unfortunately since they weren't, and many people assumed they were soft and underrated them
I blame Don Cherry for a lot of this.. when all the Euro's came in he as at his peak as well. It was brutal to hear him purposely give Euro's the wrong name and label them as soft while talking about the virtues of a good old boy from the prairies.

I don't know how many 'Yanny Yagr' jokes I heard growing up. Or how he can't play becuase his hair has a split end. It was brutal. In the case of Jagr, he rarely missed games in his career and is playing to this day.

My Oil fans were just as bad with Hemsky who was a total warrior who would sacrifice his body and go into all the hard spots yet there he was being called 'Alice' and soft.

A sign times have changed though is that the Oil fans, unfairly, gave all those labels to Eberle.

Nylander's first exhibition game and Cherry described him as 'terrified' out there. Back to Chicken Swede 30 years later.

Since I'm ranting on the anti-Euro stance (that I do think is going away)... I'd argue the good old boy narrative is also crap. I think it'd be much easier to raise an NHL player in Saskatchewan than Kladno or Pardubice! Go to those towns, walk around and tell me how the hell you become an NHL player from there? That is a lot of dedication.

P10p

May 15, 2012
WTF are you talking about?

This is the asinine post that started it all.

And you responded with..... "You don't rest 24 year old superstars in the regular season either." To which I implied that's an idiotic narrative and there is another thread for people like you. Super hard to keep up I know but don't worry I'll help ya.

Reactions: geoo9

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
No, nationality doesn't make Connor McDavid the best player in the world and teams win cups not individuals.

But it does make people view players differently. The Canadian bias is strong for some folks and not at all for others. Now saying that, it doesn't change the fact that McDavid is the best player in the game on most nights.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
But it does make people view players differently. The Canadian bias is strong for some folks and not at all for others. Now saying that, it doesn't change the fact that McDavid is the best player in the game on most nights.
I just find this statement interesting, considering Kucherov plays with two Europeans that are widely considered the best at their positions in the world. As I said earlier, it has more to do with the teams they play for than the country they hail from. ie the attention that is given to Matthews over Brayden Point, for example.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
What stupid logic, you don't rest a red hot powerplay unit in the playoffs, no matter the score.

Why not? What they don't believe they can recapture the magic in game 6 because they chose to not run it up the game prior? You give your team no credit, they're talented enough to be able to take one PP off in a game that's already been decided and not skip a beat.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Why not? What they don't believe they can recapture the magic in game 6 because they chose to not run it up the game prior? You give your team no credit, they're talented enough to be able to take one PP off in a game that's already been decided and not skip a beat.

I'm a Wild fan, not my team at all. But you just don't rest a special team unit in the playoffs when they are clicking.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
I just find this statement interesting, considering Kucherov plays with two Europeans that are widely considered the best at their positions in the world. As I said earlier, it has more to do with the teams they play for than the country they hail from. ie the attention that is given to Matthews over Brayden Point, for example.

Doesn't he play with Point and Palat? So, you are saying that Point is a better player then McDavid? You did say that he plays with two Europeans that are widely considered the BEST at their positions in the WORLD? I disagree with that. But going back to the initial argument, yes, there still is a Canadian bias. Not as bad as before, but still.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
If Kucherov was on Edmonton and McDavid on Tampa, a 1 for 1 trade, this conversation wouldn't even exist. McDavid would indisputably be the #2 greatest player of all time behind only Gretzky.
It's funny because the nature of HFboards is a lot of 'AINEC' type crap. So the preseason was just FILLED with who's better between Matthews, McDavid and Mack. It went on forever.

Season starts... by mid season there is no debate anymore and it's clear as day.

Oil gets eliminated easily. Restart the AINEC stuff...

first it was Mack AINEC
now it's Kucherov

The second Connor isn't playing, there are threads talking about who is better than him.lol I imagine if he gets an injury next season the posts will open up again.

I am happy to see Point getting a lot of love!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad