Do you think if Kucherov were Canadian and McDavid were Russian there'd be a different narrative?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I remember when the Sedins were in their prime, they were talking about something similar on TV on how they would be the face of Canadian hockey if they were Canadians. Were extremely good, won awards, rarely missed games etc etc... but unfortunately since they weren't, and many people assumed they were soft and underrated them

Reactions: User9992

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
You forgot Palat, Cirelli, Killorn, and Sergachev. Not a terrible cast in TBay really, all 4 you didn't mention would quite easily be top 6/top 4 options in Edmonton and most other clubs for that matter. The home grown talent they've cultivated is pretty impressive.

I couldn't name everyone on TB for the sake of time.

Just saying it's not as easy to say "Hey Kucherov is a winner and McDavid's a loser".

There's too many variables to being a cup champion. You need toughness. Talent. Goaltending. Coaching.

I'd say overall Edmonton is a losing organization while TB is currently a winning one. But that's due to each teams owner and GM to coach.

Reactions: Czechboy

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
McDavid is still not as good in Playoffs as he is in Regular Season. His Career Playoff Stats are: 21 Points in 22 Playoff Games. That's a below PPG. Ovi for example had 21 Pts in 13 Games in 2009 NHL Playoffs alone. But got criticized somewhat still to losing to Malkin's & Crosby's Penguins who won the Cup that year.
Before last post season, when Kucherov hadn't won anything either:
RS
547 pts in 515 games (87 pts per 82)
Playoffs 61 pts in 65 games (77 per 82)

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
There would probably be more flak for Russian McDavid's playoff performances, but he'd also pick up ardent supporters just by switching nationalities. Russian McDavid would still be generally considered the better player.

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
They are just different players. Both really good, kucherov can't drive play by himself but i do think he is the smarter player he is playing basically crippled and makes the best play pretty much every time . I haven't seen McDavid play on one leg yet

Like obv he didn't get surgery that one time but he came back skating as fast as ever . Kucherov is slow atm

Just quit there.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It likely has much more to do with the fact that McDavid was a generational prospect than anything else.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
amazing what being rested until the playoffs does to a player going against tired opponents
Maybe McDavid should have rested for the playoffs instead of chasing meaningless garbage points after their position was locked?

But hey, he can say he has another 100 point season, and isn't that what really matters?

Reactions: User9992

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Do you think, regardless of Konstantin Davidov's flameout in the postseason, if Nick Kutcher was Canadian, the narrative would change from the idea that he's been just chilling and healthy enough to play for 2 months as a way to cheat and get free cap space, to what a "warrior" he is for returning to the postseason at less than 100 % and how he is able to fight through injury to put up an other worldly performance?

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Maybe McDavid should have rested for the playoffs instead of chasing meaningless garbage points after their position was locked?

But hey, he can say he has another 100 point season, and isn't that what really matters?

Because Edmonton would be a lock for the playoffs without McD putting up 100 points?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I think the narrative would be much more lopsided if the teams were reversed.

How many points did kucherov get when his 120 point team got swept by the jackets?

He did something memorable that season, I can't remember what it was though

IIRC he was 1st or 2nd in scoring on the team in that short series. Think it was 3 pts/4 games.

User9992

Feb 27, 2016
Do you think, regardless of Konstantin Davidov's flameout in the postseason, if Nick Kutcher was Canadian, the narrative would change from the idea that he's been just chilling and healthy enough to play for 2 months as a way to cheat and get free cap space, to what a "warrior" he is for returning to the postseason at less than 100 % and how he is able to fight through injury to put up an other worldly performance?

+ Magnificent 'Leadership Skills' & 'Intangibles' would appear.

Like Jonathan Toews - 'Captain Canada'.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Checks notes:

Yup, 82 games played in the season Kucherov recorded the highest point total by a Russian player.
He definitely should have rested down the stretch.

He learned his lesson this season and made sure he was fresh for the playoffs.

Reactions: Krewe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad