Do you think if Kucherov were Canadian and McDavid were Russian there'd be a different narrative?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I'd argue he gets more TOI because after Drai and RNH the Oil don't have any major offensive talent.

Put another way... McD gets on the ice, does something great and sits on bench... the team gets caved. Then he's back on the ice tilting it again.

Now when Kuch (or mattews, Pastrnak or Mack) sit down.. their team might actually maintain the offence (or even score).

I'm positive he'd rather less TOI and better linemates.

That is correct but it also inflates his stats a little too. It’s similar to how Hall scores ridiculous numbers of points in NJ

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
there is difference when guy carried a team 6 years at playoffs better than any player in a league at postseason and when it all done people overturn things into - "Team Carried that Guy" he is not that good, That is not what supposed to be, TBL is good because of Kucherov - that is the point -rest are exuses. Good team or bad - point is can you elevate your game or not - and we see who can who not

No question that Kuch is amazing, anyone that says otherwise is equally as dumb as someone equating the two support casts.
Tampa finished 8th in the league without Kuch, the difference is he takes a top tier team and puts them in a class of their own as a juggernaut. McDavid takes a trash team and makes them a playoff team.

So, of course 1 has way better chances at a Cup than the other.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Currently one is a winner and one isn't. Nationality has nothing to do with it. I'd view either same if they hadn't won much of anything.

Kucherov has won one cup. On a stacked team. Point. Stamkos. Vasi. Hedman. Cernak. McDonough. Maroon is a force physically. Tyler Johnson would probably be the third best player on Edmonton.

McDavid has Draisaitl and....maybe Nurse?

It's not black and white. You have to keep in mind several variables with this discussion.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Kucherov would be considered the better player if nationalities were reversed. Not saying that's right or wrong. Just my opinion.

There's more canadians on hf boards. Just guessing. Canadians tend to gravitate to their own? Just a possibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: User9992

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Since Kucherov's rookie season, he has played for a team that has averaged a 107 point pace per 82 games. (808 in 618GP)
Ovi's Capitals, before they won the cup: 1078 points in 868 games. (101.83 per 82 game pace over 12 seasons)
Matthews' Leafs: 458 pts in 372 games (100.95 poins per 82)

Oilers record, since 15-16: 485 points in 455 games, or 87.4 points per 82 games.

But yeah, its because he's Canadian.

Lol Kucherov's team doesn't even need him to be a contender. He's just icing on the cake...

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
McDavid would get much more criticism if he wasn't Canadian. Remember when Ovi failed to pass 2'd round of Playoffs for a long time?

No, Ovi got all that criticism because..... his team failed to pass the 2nd round of the playoffs for a long time while his biggest "rival" won a Cup and then another two later on.
Also, you must be living in a rock if you think McDavid hasn't received criticism for the last two playoff exits. Hell, there's some morons in the Edmonton market who are blaming him and Draisaitl.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
lol acting like Kuch is treated like a slave.

The one thing that seems to bring the Russians and Americans together - good ol' "Canadian Bias" :laugh:. It's like the HF boogeyman. McDavid was getting rightfully blasted here after we got swept by WPG, so I have no clue where narrative he gets no criticism comes from. The only reason his criticism fell by the wayside is because the Leafs did us a favour blowing a 3-1 lead and losing in the first round again...so people had more popular options to criticize.

People have already hedged their bets with the regression narrative next year to diminish his regular season this year. We had like 1 billion threads about how bad the North is...weird that there's no Canadian Bias when talking about how bad the division that had all Canadian teams was...

Reactions: abo9

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
Kucherov has won one cup. On a stacked team. Point. Stamkos. Vasi. Hedman. Cernak. McDonough. Maroon is a force physically. Tyler Johnson would probably be the third best player on Edmonton.

McDavid has Draisaitl and....maybe Nurse?

It's not black and white. You have to keep in mind several variables with this discussion.

You forgot Palat, Cirelli, Killorn, and Sergachev. Not a terrible cast in TBay really, all 4 you didn't mention would quite easily be top 6/top 4 options in Edmonton and most other clubs for that matter. The home grown talent they've cultivated is pretty impressive.

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
McDavid is best player in the world? He is the best regular season player in the world -who have style which is much easier to shut down at postseason when teams intensifies agression, physicality , pace. Guy just tries to outrun everyone else but it is just not working. Differences him being Russian you can saw at all that Ovie slander- which he had all these years having 0.5 goals per game at PO. While Ovie played most of his years without player Drasaitl lvl as so Kucherov
Transport Kucherov to the Oilers and they don't even remotely sniff the playoffs. Transport Mcdavid to Tampa and Vegas shut downs betting odds on the Stanley Cup cause Tampa is far to heavy of a favourite.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
McDavid would get much more criticism if he wasn't Canadian. Remember when Ovi failed to pass 2'd round of Playoffs for a long time?
Part of that was the Capitals were finishing top 3 in the league and then getting bumped. On this site people don't expect the Oilers to make the playoffs each year

User9992

Feb 27, 2016
No, Ovi got all that criticism because..... his team failed to pass the 2nd round of the playoffs for a long time while his biggest "rival" won a Cup and then another two later on.
Also, you must be living in a rock if you think McDavid hasn't received criticism for the last two playoff exits. Hell, there's some morons in the Edmonton market who are blaming him and Draisaitl.

LOL. Come on. Ovi got all the blame of Capitals' Playoff failures since 2008. He got criticized after 2009 NHL Playoffs despite having 21 Pts in two rounds of Playoffs & losing to headed monster with Malkin & Crosby who won the Cup that year. Next season he got heavily criticized & mocked again by everyone: Media & Hockey fans. And that continued until 2018 NHL Championsip.

User9992

Feb 27, 2016
Part of that was the Capitals were finishing top 3 in the league and then getting bumped. On this site people don't expect the Oilers to make the playoffs each year

McDavid is still not as good in Playoffs as he is in Regular Season. His Career Playoff Stats are: 22 Points in 21 Playoff Games. That's a barely PPG. Ovi for example had 21 Pts in 13 Games in 2009 NHL Playoffs alone. But got criticized somewhat still to losing to Malkin's & Crosby's Penguins who won the Cup that year.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I'd like to see what Kucherov could do with Oilers, and McDavid with Lightning.

Kucherov would have probably outscored McDavid in the regular... if he was healthy enough, of course. If not, then there wouldn't have been any playoffs for Edmonton.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00