Do you think if Kucherov were Canadian and McDavid were Russian there'd be a different narrative?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Basically where McDavid doesn't "elevate" his team and that Kucherov is a natural born "winner" for showing up when it matters? Do you also think the perceived "gap" between the two would be considered a lot closer due to Kucherov's massive edge in postseason scoring? Or is that all too silly to think and it would all be the same regardless of nationalities?

Think of their names as Nick Kutcher and Konstantin Davidov

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
Basically where McDavid doesn't "elevate" his team and that Kucherov is a natural born "winner" for showing up when it matters? Do you also think the perceived "gap" between the two would be considered a lot closer due to Kucherov's massive edge in postseason scoring? Or is that all too silly to think and it would all be the same regardless of nationalities?

Think of their names as Nick Kutcher and Konstantin Davidov
hilarious. i remember making this same type of argument replacing Zdeno Chara with Dan Charles, years ago

Reactions: User9992

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
our media used to be terribly biased, i think it is good, now. crosby and mcdick have flown free of criticism likely because of how much they sell the game, rather than nationality.

Reactions: Voight and User9992

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
Currently one is a winner and one isn't. Nationality has nothing to do with it. I'd view either same if they hadn't won much of anything.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
McdAvid has an absolute horrible team built around him.

other than Draisatl and Nurse they have Mike the 40 year old virgin Smith and Yamamoto ( yakupov clone )

they are not a well built team and one player does not make a team..

He still had 2+ times better PPG vs Jets in the regular, than in the playoffs...

Reactions: User9992

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think the narrative would likely be the same because of the disparity in teams.

Not to mention, I think people already acknowledge what a beast Kucherov is in the playoffs. It's not like anyone dismisses how good he produces just because he's Russian. I also think people think McDavid's got a lot to prove as a playoff performer because of his lack of production (relatively speaking) in the playoffs thus far.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
McDavid would get much more criticism if he wasn't Canadian. Remember when Ovi failed to pass 2'd round of Playoffs for a long time?
yes. ovie himself, was producing at a high pace and playing hardnosed, but was considered a failure because his team didnt win the cup. mcdavid produces mediocre and plays soft and his team is the excuse

Reactions: Krispy

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
He still had 2+ times better PPG vs Jets in the regular, than in the playoffs...

And dealt with a whole lot more obstruction in the playoffs than the regular season. He has to prove himself in the playoffs but it's undeniable that no calls on him in eight straight playoff games is ridiculous and hurts his production because he's a cheat code on the PP.

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
McDavid is best player in the world? He is the best regular season player in the world -who have style which is much easier to shut down at postseason when teams intensifies agression, physicality , pace. Guy just tries to outrun everyone else but it is just not working. Differences him being Russian you can saw at all that Ovie slander- which he had all these years having 0.5 goals per game at PO. While Ovie played most of his years without player Drasaitl lvl as so Kucherov

Last edited:

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
No one would be a centre still and the other a winger. However, I can see where some would think differently and there will always be those individuals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->