Do you think if Kucherov were Canadian and McDavid were Russian there'd be a different narrative?

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
Oil can't get past Hawks or Jets in round 1 and that isn't on McDavid (or Drai).

I don't know, to me not beating the Hawks or Jets falls completely on McDrai. Come playoffs, your best players have to be your best and they simply fell flat. They owned the Jets all year this year, McDavid and Drai ate them up individually. You gotta be able to translate that to the post season, and they didn't. Other lesser teams top guys really just out performed them is what it came down to. If the Oilers lose in the 2nd and 3rd round against top tier opponents it's probably fair to bring the depth into it but in the first round/play-ins McDavid and Drai have gotta be the trump card against weaker opponents, no excuses.

All that said, Kucherov is brilliant and has an IQ and playmaking ability rivalling McDavids, but to breakdown all elements of their skill sets and combine it with IQ, playmaking, goal scoring etc. you're crazy to not give McDavid the edge. He's simply more talented but Kucherov isn't far behind. I think you poll the GMs and players and you find out pretty quick who the top guy is. I don't even like McDavid as a Canadian hockey fan, but he's as talented as they come. It's borderline unfair some of the advantages he provides his team. Like the zone entry on the PP is not fair IMO. To have his speed is one amazing thing, but to be able to also have hands and a mind that can process at that speed sets him apart for me. It's a level up cheat code of sorts.

Reactions: geoo9

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Yep, what makes Kucherov so special is that he can destroy you from a mostly stationary position. Even when not scoring, Kucherov causes psychological damage on the other team with misdirection and his creativity. A team like the Isles who have a very simple but strict and effective system gets thrown out of sync because of it. To beat Kucherov, you have to abandon your structure and pressure him or else he'll figure out a chink and exploit it eventually.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The other side of this which people gloss over is that McDavid gets more O zone starts and more overall TOI. Kucherov has a great supporting cast but he still has to produce with fewer opportunities
I'd argue he gets more TOI because after Drai and RNH the Oil don't have any major offensive talent.

Put another way... McD gets on the ice, does something great and sits on bench... the team gets caved. Then he's back on the ice tilting it again.

Now when Kuch (or mattews, Pastrnak or Mack) sit down.. their team might actually maintain the offence (or even score).

I'm positive he'd rather less TOI and better linemates.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Yep, what makes Kucherov so special is that he can destroy you from a mostly stationary position. Even when not scoring, Kucherov causes psychological damage on the other team with misdirection and his creativity. A team like the Isles who have a very simple but strict and effective system gets thrown out of sync because of it. To beat Kucherov, you have to abandon your structure and pressure him or else he'll figure out a chink and exploit it eventually.
Or make him mad and get him suspended.

I believe that's how tampa fell apart their historic looking year .

I think Hedman had a concussion but he also seems to be playing injured again

Last edited:

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Definitely.

Some people got so offended over Mc's PS production they blamed the referees for letting defenders defend against him.

I imagine if Connor was Russian, the narrative would be, "what we often see as phenomenal skill on Davidov's part is mostly just lack of defenders' interest to engage fully during the regular season, which becomes painfully obvious come playoff time, as that's when all that flamboyance falls flat, and not surprisingly, that's also when Kutcher's superior IQ shines the brightest. Because, all things considered, the ability to think the game unorthodox and to surprise fully focused defenders is much more important than posting another highlight reel goal somewhere in game 53 when no D really gives a damn."

Spoilers

Jun 24, 2018
Not sure what the point is here. McDavid is arguably the target of more criticism because he is Canadian and plays for a Canadian team.

I seem to recall certain writers questioning his leadership abilities and whether he wanted out.

If Kucherov were Canadian he’d be touted like he is now. A fantastic player that won an Art Ross.

Reactions: TheNeutralPresident

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
for most NA fans it is same country
I think he more means if McDavid wasn't Canadian, but he plays a flashy game Canadians love like Bure .

But one is closer to Italy one is closer to east Europe their names sound the same and were both probably on the ussr side

Last edited:

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
He still had 2+ times better PPG vs Jets in the regular, than in the playoffs...

He didn't have to piggy back a jets player during regular season games. Hilarious this is even brought up esp after the attention the reffing is getting this post season

User9992

Feb 27, 2016
Ovi played for presidents trophy winning teams, remember? 3 times they finished top of the league.

Not always. When Ovi lost in 2'd round of playoffs in 2009 Caps weren't President Trophy winners, but Ovi still got criticized for that loss.
I want Canadiens to keep the same energy.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Since Kucherov's rookie season, he has played for a team that has averaged a 107 point pace per 82 games. (808 in 618GP)
Ovi's Capitals, before they won the cup: 1078 points in 868 games. (101.83 per 82 game pace over 12 seasons)
Matthews' Leafs: 458 pts in 372 games (100.95 poins per 82)

Oilers record, since 15-16: 485 points in 455 games, or 87.4 points per 82 games.

But yeah, its because he's Canadian.

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
What narrative are you talking about? I think Kucherov gets the recognition he deserves. He also plays on a very deep hockey club.

They are both world class hockey players.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Mcdavid is sub PPG in the playoffs and the 2 times he was there he got outperformed by his sidekick. Winner take all game kuch>>>>>

Reactions: geoo9 and User9992

User9992

Feb 27, 2016
Right, the playoff loss should be looked at as a failure.

Do you think it compares to the 2019 TBL upset where Kucherov got himself suspended?

Yes. Kuch got a fair criticism for 2019 Playoffs failure.
But McDavid seems never get any criticism that Ovi received before he won the Cup. Sometimes people are biased.

Reactions: geoo9

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Yes. Kuch got a fair criticism for 2019 Playoffs failure.
But McDavid seems never get any criticism that Ovi received before he won the Cup. Sometimes people are biased.
Agree. Perhaps you're not looking hard enough to see criticism against McDavid.
Just a thought...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad