Do you ever get sick of being a TML Fan?

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
How long have you guys been fans for?
Do you guys ever just want to hang up the Jersey and jump ship?

Not trying to poke the bear but just wondering how everyone feels and if the thought comes to mind.

Been a die hard since 92 (I was 12).
Never even thought about jumping ship.

Players are frustrating and I like to see them change, but the jersey/city is permanent.

Milan90

Jul 8, 2009
Etobicoke, Ontario
Came to Canada during the 1997-1998 season and fell in love with the team during the 1998-1999 season, at 7 years old because my best friend was a huge fan... I'm more a fan now than I ever was in that time period. Never would switch, or stop watching.

ssmtl1

Jul 16, 2014
Montreal
Used to be a Leafs hater, then went to Toronto for 2 years for work.

I will never cheer for the Leafs, but damn do I have respect for their fans for being so excited about their team, even if they don't expect them to get anywhere in the short term.

Respect from MTL, and hopefully with that new playoffs format we can meet a couple times soon enough!

MrDiddlez

Feb 26, 2014
Toronto
After game 7 I questioned whether I could continue being a die hard. I realized that game 7 was rock bottom......................It can't get any worse right?

Disgruntled Observer*

Well, I think this thread sort of outlines the entire problem with leaf nation.
Our team has been the flat out disgrace of the entire league over the past 10 years. Worse results than ANY other team in the league in that time (with the possible exception of Atlanta/Winnipeg), all as the richest team with the most financial advantages.

And yet, despite all that, the majority of fans here still have an attitude of "I like them just as much as ever".

I'm sorry, but I really do think that that is part of the problem. We're a team of attempted quick fixes and bandaid solutions, because they know that the fans will be there anyways, rain or shine.

I'm just trying to imagine what the Habs forum would look like if they were the worst team in the entire league over a 10 year stretch.
Look what happened to Chicago's fans when they were as pathetic as us.

So yes... i AM often sick of being a leaf fan. This is for the simple reason that we've been the embarrassment of the entire league (if not the entire world) for the past 10 seasons.

Am I going to jump ship? No. I'm still a fan of this team and i WANT them to turn things around. But I'm SICK of this failure and I won't passively say "I like them more than ever" and other such nonsense.

When a team's had an off year or two, I understand being a supportive fan. But richest team in the league being the worst for 10 years and counting? That's too much. We should not be loyal any longer.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Our team has been the flat out disgrace of the entire league over the past 10 years. Worse results than ANY other team in the league in that time (with the possible exception of Atlanta/Winnipeg), all as the richest team with the most financial advantages.

And yet, despite all that, the majority of fans here still have an attitude of "I like them just as much as ever".

I'm sorry, but I really do think that that is part of the problem. We're a team of attempted quick fixes and bandaid solutions, because they know that the fans will be there anyways, rain or shine.

I'm just trying to imagine what the Habs forum would look like if they were the worst team in the entire league over a 10 year stretch.

So yes... i AM often sick of being a leaf fan. This is for the simple reason that we've been the embarrassment of the entire league (if not the entire world) for the past 10 seasons.

Am I going to jump ship? No. I'm still a fan of this team and i WANT them to turn things around. But I'm SICK of this failure and I won't passively say "I like them more than ever" and other such nonsense.

When a team's had an off year or two, I understand being a supportive fan. But richest team in the league being the worst for 10 years and counting? That's too much. We should not be loyal any longer.

For me it's a cold meh.

I know this team will finish middle of the pack.
I want to see them make the playoffs.
The team needs to secure a high draft pick in this deep draft.

They will do the opposite, as they have always done.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I don't think the team has ever made me want to stop being a Leafs fan.

However, other Leafs fans, such as many on this board, often make me not want to be a Leafs fan because I don't want to be associated with their pettiness or stupidity. Not all Leaf fans are like that, but enough that at times, I'd like to separate myself from them.

Frankly, if you're not willing to stomach your team being the worst in the league for decades on end, should you even be a sports fan?

Disgruntled Observer*

I don't think the team has ever made me want to stop being a Leafs fan.

However, other Leafs fans, such as many on this board, often make me not want to be a Leafs fan because I don't want to be associated with their pettiness or stupidity. Not all Leaf fans are like that, but enough that at times, I'd like to separate myself from them.

Frankly, if you're not willing to stomach your team being the worst in the league for decades on end, should you even be a sports fan?

I counter that with "If you're going to be complacent about your team being the worst in the league decades on end (all as the richest team), then should you even be a sports fan?"

I would say that you're not really a fan of a team at all if you're apathetic about failure at such a preposterous level. People still supportive at this point don't really care about the team, imo.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I counter that with "If you're going to be complacent about your team being the worst in the league decades on end (all as the richest team), then should you even be a sports fan?"

I would say that you're not really a fan of a team at all if you're apathetic about failure at such a preposterous level. People still supportive at this point don't really care about the team, imo.

Don't be so hard on yourself DO, it's not like it's your fault. Only in loony Leaf land do fans judge one-another based on the team's performance.

Disgruntled Observer*

It's a sports team, not a personal relationship.

Would you be happy if the leafs won the cup?
If your answer is "yes", then you should be FURIOUS when we're the laughing stock of the league for 10 years all as the richest team.

If the leafs won the cup and you merely clapped your hands once and said "jolly good show", flicked the tv off, went to sleep, and didn't think about it again... well... if THAT'S the level of passion you show towards your team, then I can understand being apathetic about the disgrace our team has become.

Me personally? If the leafs won the cup, I'D HAVE THE TIME OF MY LIFE!!!! Similarly, with our team being the biggest disgrace in the league (possibly the disgrace of the entire world), I'm ANGRY!!! FURIOUS!!!! OUTRAGED!!!!!!!

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)

This is the most intelligent post I've read on HF. I am with you 110%

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Would you be happy if the leafs won the cup?
If your answer is "yes", then you should be FURIOUS when we're the laughing stock of the league for 10 years all as the richest team.

If the leafs won the cup and you merely clapped your hands once and said "jolly good show", flicked the tv off, went to sleep, and didn't think about it again... well... if THAT'S the level of passion you show towards your team, then I can understand being apathetic about the disgrace our team has become.

Me personally? If the leafs won the cup, I'D HAVE THE TIME OF MY LIFE!!!! Similarly, with our team being the biggest disgrace in the league (possibly the disgrace of the entire world), I'm ANGRY!!! FURIOUS!!!! OUTRAGED!!!!!!!

I view it like winning the lottery. If they win, great, I'll celebrate and have a good time. If they lose, I'll turn off the TV and say "oh, well, maybe next time".

It just seems to make so little sense to get worked up over something that is so far out of your or my control.

Disgruntled Observer*

I view it like winning the lottery. If they win, great, I'll celebrate and have a good time. If they lose, I'll turn off the TV and say "oh, well, maybe next time".

It just seems to make so little sense to get worked up over something that is so far out of your or my control.

Your lottery analogy is apt.
In the sense that there is probably a one in a million chance that this team will actually succeed.

It's not just the teams lack of success that really works me up, it's the teams penchant for bad things happening in DISGRACEFUL manners.

We don't simply trade our first round pick to a divisional rival and then barely miss the playoffs. No no. We finish SECOND FREAKING LAST!!!!!
We don't simply blow a lead in a game 7 of a series. No no. We have the most legendary and pathetic game 7 collapse in all nhl world history.
We don't just drop from home ice advantage after 50 games to 6th place in our division or something. No no. We lose ten freaking games in a row and finish 8th freaking last.
It really is becoming a chore to be a fan of this team and it frustrates me to NO END that so many "fans" are complacent about it.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
What would you suggest we do?
Take MLSE execs hostage at gunpoint?

Would you like us to coerce the board by sitting in on board meetings?

Bottom line: Lots of us are frustrated, but realize we are at the mercy of people with dissimilar interests.

Durkin67

How long have you guys been fans for?
Do you guys ever just want to hang up the Jersey and jump ship?

Not trying to poke the bear but just wondering how everyone feels and if the thought comes to mind.
I have more faith in the franchise than I do in the fanbase.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Not so much as getting sick of them more along the lines of I don't enjoy watching the product on the ice because I'm expecting some sort of letdown or meltdown.

Disgruntled Observer*

What would you suggest we do?
Take MLSE execs hostage at gunpoint?

Would you like us to coerce the board by sitting in on board meetings?

Bottom line: Lots of us are frustrated, but realize we are at the mercy of people with dissimilar interests.

At the VERY LEAST the team should be booed off the ice after every loss. Hell, even after every win.
That's the very least that should be happening.
In the ideal world, leaf fans would simply stop going to the games. Would end their subscriptions to leafs TV. Would stop buying jerseys. Those that do show up would throw MILLIONS of waffles on the ice (not during game play of course).
In fact, I think leaf fans should start a trend of throwing their JERSEYS on the ice. Show management JUST how fed up we are.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Been a fan since the 70s. Have seen some pretty good teams and have seen some horrendous teams.

Of course one gets sick of the sideshows and all the losing. I can watch other games with plenty of interest (ie playoffs are my favorite time of year but lately the Leafs are not around)...I just don't care of the outcome...which in many ways make watching more enjoyable. No vested interest.

Eventually the Leafs will be good again. Isn't it just a matter of time? Of course we could all be dead by then.

I started following sports and more specifically the Leafs around the mid 90's, anyone who was a fan of the Leafs in the 70's and stuck around until now, you get a huge :handclap: from me. I wasn't around back then but damn they had some horr-awful teams, just utterly horrendous.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Your lottery analogy is apt.
In the sense that there is probably a one in a million chance that this team will actually succeed.

It's not just the teams lack of success that really works me up, it's the teams penchant for bad things happening in DISGRACEFUL manners.

We don't simply trade our first round pick to a divisional rival and then barely miss the playoffs. No no. We finish SECOND FREAKING LAST!!!!!
We don't simply blow a lead in a game 7 of a series. No no. We have the most legendary and pathetic game 7 collapse in all nhl world history.
We don't just drop from home ice advantage after 50 games to 6th place in our division or something. No no. We lose ten freaking games in a row and finish 8th freaking last.
It really is becoming a chore to be a fan of this team and it frustrates me to NO END that so many "fans" are complacent about it.

Yet when the team wins we all flip out and everybody has a good time. The 2012-2013 season ended in a legendary collapse in game 7 but that was some great highlights in that series. Finally making the playoffs for the first time in nearly a decade was exciting, we made it more exciting then it should've been so as much as we feel pain and anguish about how badly we lose..our moments tend to be more passionate and exciting then what other fans may feel because well we love the Leafs so much. Why would you want to take that away from yourself? I could never get sick of being a Leaf fan. I get extremely pissed off at times but that's all part of it. We have some terrible downs but when we have good times, they are good times. We just need to take those good times and make more of them and make them great...Ohh how I want to see this team raise the Cup just once in my lifetime...

City would definitely have to be shut down for a day..possibly 2. It would be insane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad