Do you ever get sick of being a TML Fan?

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Have been a fan the better part of my life , about 20 years now. It can get frustrating at times but I'd never change. If this question arises , then you're not truly a Leafs fan.

BlueStorm

Aug 14, 2010
Halifax
I would stop watching hockey if I get sick of this slump. I've been a fan since roughly 1977 when I was 5. I've got about 14 years left until retirement. Hopefully I see some good hockey before then because I don't believe you can get hockey broadcasts in the Caribbean?
At least I will be home in time for the playoffs in the spring.
I would say that the leafs are becoming less popular, especially outside of southern Ontario. What 10 year old wants to cheer for a losing team. Lots of Habs, bruins and pens fans here in Nova Scotia.

Harry Kneel

Signature
Apr 24, 2013
Toronto
I've been a fan since the late 70's. I remember Lanny's winning goal in Game 7 vs the Isles.

Do I ever get sick? Hmmmm...I lived through the Ballard era...

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
Love the Leafs, but at the same time they are just a form of entertainment for me. I don't ever see myself not being excited for a new season to start. Still if the season is going poorly it make it easier to do something else and catch the game later on.

I can say that last season the last 14 games kind of broke my heart, and drained my hockey interest for the rest of the season. I really wasn't into the playoffs last year, and it was due to the Leafs collapse. But now I can't wait for the season to start.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
No.

Leafs and Steelers from cradle to grave.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
No; but I get sick of TML "fans".

Yes. Especially the ones who can never find anything good to say. I get that its been pretty rough going since the early 90s but to me the point of being a fan is optimism and having fun with it. If the team is bad then I look for the positives, this player, that prospect etc. People who are entirely negative make me shake my head because I just don't see the fun in that.

hockeyfanz*

Been a fan since the 70s. Have seen some pretty good teams and have seen some horrendous teams.

Of course one gets sick of the sideshows and all the losing. I can watch other games with plenty of interest (ie playoffs are my favorite time of year but lately the Leafs are not around)...I just don't care of the outcome...which in many ways make watching more enjoyable. No vested interest.

Eventually the Leafs will be good again. Isn't it just a matter of time? Of course we could all be dead by then.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
My father was a Toronto Maple Leaf fan, and I was brought home from the Hospital for the first time in my Leaf jumper and my Son is a Leafs fan now..

I guess you can say its in the blood handed down from generation to generation dating back to the 1950's until present.

Dad's favourite player was Ted "Teeder" Kennedy, mine was Davey Keon.

Myke

Jun 9, 2006
Toronto/Ottawa
www.myke.org
Been a Leaf fan since birth (1985) and can't see me cheering for anyone else even though I get so disheartened and so frustrated at times. For true Leaf fans it isn't a choice.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I've been a Leafs fan for 50 years this year!

Over the years I've tried to find a 2nd team to cheer for when my Leafs were down and out. I could never find that 2nd team to cheer for.

Having lived, worked, coached minor hockey, and, retired here in Ottawa, you'd think I'd be able to cheer for the Senaturds. Nope, never, ever will I cheer for that mess of a franchise! They screwed that up early on by not making sure 3 of their players showed up for 1 of my hockey practices as promised. Also, the Senaturds fans hate for my Leafs just turns my stomach. Some of these traitors actually cheered for the Leafs before the Turds came along!!! Disgusting!!!

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I had a really hard time watching this year's team. So much so that I would find something else to watch most nights.
Never been as pessimistic about the team as I have been lately

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Being a Leafs fan doesn't prevent me from enjoying and appreciating the great hockey that other teams play.

Its actually kind of nice never having to be stressed out about what your team might do because you know it doesn't really matter. :laugh::help:

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
I've been a Leafs fan for 50 years this year!

Over the years I've tried to find a 2nd team to cheer for when my Leafs were down and out. I could never find that 2nd team to cheer for.

Having lived, worked, coached minor hockey, and, retired here in Ottawa, you'd think I'd be able to cheer for the Senaturds. Nope, never, ever will I cheer for that mess of a franchise! They screwed that up early on by not making sure 3 of their players showed up for 1 of my hockey practices as promised. Also, the Senaturds fans hate for my Leafs just turns my stomach. Some of these traitors actually cheered for the Leafs before the Turds came along!!! Disgusting!!!

I lived in Ottawa before they had an NHL franchise, but disliking of the Senators came very organically for me. Their logo always reminded me of a prophylactic. And Alfredsson was just so easy to dislike:)

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
There's been obvious moments where it's been very painful to be a Leafs fan since I became a fan in my late teens during the 1997-1998 season. But there were some great moments as well. Notably the 99-2004 era. The times since then have been bad and longer than they should have been but that's hindsight and also poor asset management and trading 1st round picks.

If what transpired after the Sundin era just kept happening over and over, with no periods of success for another decade, yeah absolutely I could see my self just completely fed up.

But hopefully, and it seems like it, the team is going forward in a good way in my opinion and as long as they hang on to those 1st round picks I'll be optimistic.

Oh, right. When/If the Leafs win a cup again, and you've gone through all the ups and downs for however long, you just know how much that moment will mean to you vs. just picking up a team because they're on the upswing and acting like you're a true fan.

No pain no glory! :yo: :laugh:

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Been a Leaf fan for over 25 years and still going strong.

Although others in here in the 30+ range have said they're starting to lose interest, I feel the opposite. I'm more invested than ever, especially now that I have two young kids, also die-hard Leaf fans

(In my ~4 years as a father, one of my proudest moments was when my boy saw some guy at the library wearing a Canadiens hat and said, "hey dad, we don't like those guys." Just about brought a tear to the eye.)

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
I think this is the lowest point for me as a Leaf fan.

2006 - 2012 - yes, every year was a disappointment, but expectations were low too overall. 2013 finally got the playoffs back, and things looked extremely bright going forward. Then last year happened, with that choke down the stretch, and that has left a significantly bitter taste in my mouth.

Problem is, even if this year is a "success" it's going to take till the end of the season to take them seriously because they may choke it away once again.

Oct 19, 2007
I saw them win the cup on 4 different occasions. That feeling will never escape me and I can honestly say I have never had a day when I was sick of being a fan.Go Leafs Go. I have had a favourite player on every team and Morgan Rielly is my favourite now and going forward.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
There is no other team in the world that I can be as passionate about.

It's mostly little thing that the organization does that rattles my cage, but at the end of the day I still put on the blue and white sweater.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Have been a fan since the mid sixties. The Leafs are like my golf game-not very good but still love to play.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I would stop watching hockey if I get sick of this slump. I've been a fan since roughly 1977 when I was 5. I've got about 14 years left until retirement. Hopefully I see some good hockey before then because I don't believe you can get hockey broadcasts in the Caribbean?
At least I will be home in time for the playoffs in the spring.
I would say that the leafs are becoming less popular, especially outside of southern Ontario. What 10 year old wants to cheer for a losing team. Lots of Habs, bruins and pens fans here in Nova Scotia.

Gotta agree with you on this. Lots of new Avalanche fans out here as well now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad