Do you ever get sick of being a TML Fan?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
As long as I live in Toronto, I will always follow the Maple Leafs. Even if I do leave some day, it likely be my team. As long as the team stays classy, I'll be a fan. Sometimes I feel like management doesn't do the right things, but they I'm just a fan so how can I make a difference. I do wish sometimes I could send an email to them sometimes, but I'm sure there are many other people who would do the same and then it wouldn't be so fun. (I also don't want to be responsible if one of my suggestions is bad) :laugh:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Nope. from the moment Mats Sundin hit the crossbar and it went in (game 1 of the playoffs, on to sweep the Ottawa Senators, hmm what a moment!) I've been a fan for life. There isn't anything that will stop me from believing, or having faith that one day things will turn around.

I've stated it before. every franchise cycles. people are just angry that during our "great" cycles we didn't make it to the finals and win the cup, and now we're back in the "bad" part of the cycle. but we're upswinging and in a few years we'll start to see the fruits of this bad stretch of time. With Dubas & Shanahan i know that a great program will be put in place.

sometimes they make me angry, sometimes they'll make me cry, laugh, and go through the emotional gauntlet but that's the beauty of being a fan. when this team wins the cup it will make ALL of this worth while.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
You know what? I am beginning to find that I am starting to lose interest. I am 29 now, but when I was younger I used to literally count down the days till the first preseason game, let alone the first regular season game. Now, it's just different. This season might be my first time where I don't plan my schedule around Leafs games.

pretty much in the same boat. still excited for the season but not as fervently as when I was younger. feel kind of duped. watching players making millions while I live in the system.

fan since I attended games in 93.

will probably feel better when training camp starts.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Been a Leafs fan since 1987. Chose them over my hometown Red Wings. Some would say I made a mistake, but I don't think so.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
TML fan since watching B/W tv on the Prairies (days of Keon, Armstrong & Baun), working in Ottawa and finally living in TO. Its been up and down depending on life's priorities, but always kept an eye on the Leafs.

TheThrill81*

How long have you guys been fans for?
Do you guys ever just want to hang up the Jersey and jump ship?

Not trying to poke the bear but just wondering how everyone feels and if the thought comes to mind.

Over 20 years
Never

Bionda

AL East Champions
Dec 31, 2007
Toronto, ON
No. Toronto is my home, Leafs are a part of my attachment to the city.
If I'm foreign-born, naturalized citizen who is able to love this city with all my heart, people who are third-fourth generation Canadians should have no excuse.
Never considered switching allegiances, never will. The Leafs' struggles do nothing to diminish my love for hockey either.

I possess the same level of passion for my Jays and Raptors.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Sick of fans. Sick of the media.

Why would I ever cheer for another team? That's just gross.

And females look way better in Leaf blue and white.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
For over 40 years. Some years I am right into them and others I couldn't give a damn. I think 50-55 years is the number before this team wins another Stanley Cup. Seen some really dumb trades in my lifetime, some good ones but the bad ones out weigh them. As soon as Smythe was out of the picture and it was Harold Ballard this team was just plain awful. When there was a chance of them turning it around he made sure it didn't happen. Cliff made it interesting again and Pat Quinn tried his best. Cliff to me was the best GM of this modern era. Bringing in Gilmour and Sundin in such a short period was actually amazing. He made a gaff or two on his second stint but I think his hands were tied behind his back. Just imagine if he was able to turn that Carter trade and a few others, this team may have won a cup. Just my two cents. Burke has to go down as one of the worst and I don't care what people have to say about him here. He was a joke.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I was probably as close to the end of my tether during this year's meltdown. Felt a lot of hostility towards the Leafs and really mocked them when they struggled but then Shanahan was hired and the draft came around and things look like they're getting better again.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I was probably as close to the end of my tether during this year's meltdown. Felt a lot of hostility towards the Leafs and really mocked them when they struggled but then Shanahan was hired and the draft came around and things look like they're getting better again.

Its been a real low and tough time the last 6-7 years for Leaf Nation but Shanny, Dubas and Nylander do give this struggling organization new restored hope that things are going to get better again. :crossfing

As a Leaf fan it can be a bumpy road with both highs and lows.

Donald McRonald

Interested observer
Sep 13, 2009
United Nations
Been around for four cup wins, don't remember any of them. Keon, Plante, Sittler, Gilmour, Sundin have always been my personal favorites.
Beating the Isles in the mid seventies was epic; but then went on to lose to the powerhouse Habs in the next round. But the boys had great potential then, One of the best five man units plus great goaltender, but lacked depth.
The eighties for me were meh as far as the Leafs go, they sucked, plain and simple.(for the most part)
The Fletcher trade with Calgary was huge. the 93 and 94 seasons were ones to be very proud of.
Mats led some pretty good teams around the 00's and although they came fairly close there just wasn't enough to put those guys over the top, I blame New Jersey for some of that with the trap system.
... and now, a decade with one measly playoff appearance.
I can tell you this, it's been one heck of a frustrating ride, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. And I always think that this year, things will be different. So I suppose that kind of thinking makes me insane. So be it, all part of being a Leaf fan.
For the record though, I like this new look team aside from 2RW and 1/2D.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I have and will always be a Leaf Fan....I have been to the Stanley cup parade more then once, but only remember two of them.

Ballard were the darkest days of this franchise but surprisingly with some of the best Leafs ever.

Burke was by far the biggest disappointment as he was all hot air and stupidity. He left us with a huge mess and we are going to spend time digging our way out of it.

I have never ever considered being a fan of any other team....I am a Leaf fan from birth and so are my children and my grandchildren. A true Leaf fan is a Fan for life.

I will be at the next stanley cup parade!

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
When I do feel bad about it, I cheer myself up by reminding myself of our top 4 centres in the 2016-2017 season.

Stamkos
McDavid
Kadri
Nylander..

After that, it doesn't seem so bad.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Never. I might be tired for about a month after the Leafs are eliminated, but I'll always look forward to October in Toronto. No better place in the world to be.

Been following the team closely for over 20 years, and I always get that feeling for game 1 of a new season.

Last edited:

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
Do you guys ever just want to hang up the Jersey and jump ship?
well ive already established myself as a Leafs fan until the day i die

but assuming that i didnt, i laugh at those who jump ships

the question i ask is, what makes me attracted to the blue
is it cause i was born and raised in toronto?

TheThrill81*

When I do feel bad about it, I cheer myself up by reminding myself of our top 4 centres in the 2016-2017 season.

Stamkos
McDavid
Kadri
Nylander..

After that, it doesn't seem so bad.

Will Nylander switch to the wing to make room for Tavares in 2018/19? :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad