Do you ever get sick of being a TML Fan?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
In the darkest times of deep despair, I always find a rousing rendition of kumbaya or a happy whistling tune cheers me up.

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I get sick of other fans on occasion (both of this time and others) and frustrated with the team/organization we have, but no, I don't really get tired of being a Leafs fan.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Yes and like I've said before I'm not supporting it any longer. I like the maple leafs, I hate who's representing them. I'm a fan of what's on the front of the jersey, not the back. I hate management... And some of the players. Their still my team I'm just not supporting this group of losers..I seriously dislike Phaneuf I think he's the biggest loser in the league so for me personally it's better to just take a break for a while then being pissed. When they get rid of him, play some youth and show a sense of direction, I'll start supporting them again. Feel bad for JVR, Reilly and Bernier these guys are players

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
One thing that keeps me smiling is thinking of the party that will ensue when we finally do win.

It'll be a celebration most cities can only dream of :)

That's when we'll see all the people that have been hating on the leafs forever suddenly become "fans".

I feel like I would be so excited of going to the final I'd probably die of a heart attack the night before :laugh:

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
the only thing i get sick of is people who complain about the Leafs and about being a fan

DONT BE A FAN THEN

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Agreed. I wouldn't mind missing the playoffs for five years if it meant getting a young core aged ~18-23ish of high calibre players.

Unfortunately we've missed the playoffs for 8/9 years, with a core largely aged ~23-30. Nylander/Rielly are really our only stud young pieces with tons of potential to grow. Kadri/Gardiner are nice, but every team in the league has pieces like those. And while Kessel/Phaneuf/JVR/Bozak/etc are all good players, they've also all more or less reached their potential, and as a core are worse than the vast majority of cores around the league.

It's hard to look at this NHL team, look at the capspace, look at the farm system, look at the organizational needs, look at the absolute lack of defensive ability in our top 6 forwards, etc. and project how we can become as good or better than teams like Chicago/LA/Boston/etc in the next few years.

It's frustrating to literally get the worst "bang for your buck" in terms of cap expenditures vs on-ice results in the entire league since the salary cap has been implemented. We've spent pretty close to the cap almost every season, and missed the playoffs 8/9 times. That's simply inept management and poor direction, no other way to describe it.

We'll see how the next 12 months go. Shanny is new and still in evaluation mode. Ultimately we've just done a lot of shuffling of chairs so far, with secondary/tertiary guys sent out for other secondary/tertiary guys (Bolland/Kulemin/McClement/Gunnarsson/Raymond/etc out, Robidas/Polak/Komarov/Santorelli/etc in) without having made any changes to the actual core of this team. So we'll see what happens at the deadline and going into next years draft/free agency. That should give us a better idea as to what direction Shanny wants to go in.

While I 100% agree with everything posted here you did miss one big potential name , could be franchise altering under the right conditions.

Berny.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I can't remember the last time I've been so hopeless for an upcoming season.

And that says a lot

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I can't remember the last time I've been so hopeless for an upcoming season.

And that says a lot

Not sure if any of the years before 2011-2012 count, but if you had more hope in those years, I really think you need to go look at those teams on paper compared to what we have now. We're miles ahead of where we were, should be a pretty good season imo, lots of guys coming into full swing.

Only thing I'm really defeated about is how we still have Randy on the bench, awful decision to keep him around.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
You're right. Jason Blake, Poni and Antro. With the likes of Toskala and Raycroft. So bad

It just seems this year is going to be a discombobbled **** show.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Yes and like I've said before I'm not supporting it any longer. I like the maple leafs, I hate who's representing them. I'm a fan of what's on the front of the jersey, not the back. I hate management... And some of the players. Their still my team I'm just not supporting this group of losers..I seriously dislike Phaneuf I think he's the biggest loser in the league so for me personally it's better to just take a break for a while then being pissed. When they get rid of him, play some youth and show a sense of direction, I'll start supporting them again. Feel bad for JVR, Reilly and Bernier these guys are players

So you're a sunny side up kinda guy?

You only like our "sure thing" players....

Interesting.

I guess you're a fan if you claim you are.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
So you're a sunny side up kinda guy?

You only like our "sure thing" players....

Interesting.

I guess you're a fan if you claim you are.

That kind of fan is unique to Toronto. And we have Ballard to thank for that. Not quite a bandwagoner but not a fan by the normal definition. Sadly this group is the second biggest demographic in the city after the current fanbase. I really don't know how to change it beyond getting a second team or winning a Cup. A lot of the searing hate comes from this group. Because things haven't yet fixed themselves, some are even second generation now.

I believe this is where the OP is headed, which is tragic because sports are supposed to be fun. They're in a sort of purgatory so to speak.

This wasn't mean't to bash anyone, I can totally respect the people that realize it isn't for them right now and step back.

Last edited:

TheThrill81*

Haha, good riddance. The last thing our fanbase needs are more fairweather fans.

Macman

May 15, 2004
I'll never stop being a Leafs fan but it gets harder every year. I used to think nothing could get worse than the Ballard years but they have. It's always one step forward, two steps back. I'm beginning to pine for the days of the non-meddling pension plan owners, and that says something.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
One thing that keeps me smiling is thinking of the party that will ensue when we finally do win.

It'll be a celebration most cities can only dream of :)

Actually it is TO that has been dreaming of it for almost 50 years, a lot of other cities have experienced it in that time.

SwollenGoat

Sep 23, 2008
South River
Born and raised a Leafs fan, 46 yrs old now, patience has worn quite thin. I have slowly lost interest in this latest group of players and will follow the team from a distance.
Still love hockey, can only handle so much heartbreak.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'll never stop being a Leafs fan but it gets harder every year. I used to think nothing could get worse than the Ballard years but they have. It's always one step forward, two steps back. I'm beginning to pine for the days of the non-meddling pension plan owners, and that says something.

The losing of the last decade has certainly put a strain on patience as a Leaf fan and rightly so.

The level of incompetence of Leaf management cause needless suffering within a fan base.

Luckily fans outlast management who come and go and eventually things will get better again. Knowing this makes it easier to accept the bad times, in hopes of the good times are on the way.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Born and raised a Leafs fan, 46 yrs old now, patience has worn quite thin. I have slowly lost interest in this latest group of players and will follow the team from a distance.
Still love hockey, can only handle so much heartbreak.

Imagine being a Chicago Cubs fan, they haven't won a championship since 1908, that's 106 years that's almost 60 years MORE than us, we're not even half way there. It's a wonder that they still sell out and have so many fans.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Haha, good riddance. The last thing our fanbase needs are more fairweather fans.

What's wrong with being a fair weather fan? Whenever the winning season comes along the bigger the party the better. Obviously the fair weather fans won't be as happy as the hard cores but they will be partying. So how does a fairweather fan ruin the anticipated occasion?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad