Do you consider Nylander a "lock" for the NHL now? What's his floor/ceiling?

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Oh my goodness lol. Whatever fits the narrative right?

First of all, it's far more likely it was a kid who didn't understand what it meant. Which is HIGHLY likely considering he spent a good chunk of his life in a country who's main language is Swedish.

Secondly of all, it's not even a majorly commonly used term. Also it's not exactly a derogatory term but that neither here nor there.

The kid never had any issues. They were BS. And the fact your still trying to push the narrative is asinine. And your using an twitter handle to try and push it lol.

Grasping. At. Straws.

He grew up in North America. He didn't move to Sweden full time until he was 14. I would say a kid that grew up in NA to Swedish parents would be pretty fluent in both languages.

But it's still an LOL topic. Teenagers do/say stupid things they regret as adults. There's no news in that. Nothing to see here.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
It's also kind of a leap to take something that at worst is a sign of some immaturity, label it 'character issues' and then make a comparison to a player who issues vastly different in both type and scope.

From all accounts, William is extremely professional about managing his career. He is at the absolute opposite of Evander Kane.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Kids say dumb thing - Marner in his younger years made some very questionable social media posts: that doesn't mean he has bad character, just that he was a dumb kid (we all were).

The entire narrative that Nylander has "attitude issues" is utterly without merit. Confidence is not a bad thing. There is zero tangible evidence that he's been anything other than a total professional

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Kids say dumb thing - Marner in his younger years made some very questionable social media posts: that doesn't mean he has bad character, just that he was a dumb kid (we all were).

The entire narrative that Nylander has "attitude issues" is utterly without merit. Confidence is not a bad thing. There is zero tangible evidence that he's been anything other than a total professional

Simply compare a picture of Nylander now vs his draft year.

That's the only attitude i'm really concerned with.

He has the pedigree with his dad being a pro athlete himself. If he didn't have a proper mental makeup then he wouldn't be a gym rat and in amazing shape.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Forwards within 0.55-0.65ppg (Willie was 0.59) in 20GP+, within 6 months of Willie Nylander's age:

Gabriel Landeskog
Taylor Hall
Vincent Damphousse
Pat Verbeek
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Brandon Saad
Jason Spezza
Patrick Marleau
Jonathan Huberdeau
Alexei Kovalev
Simon Gagne
Jarome Iginla
Nathan MacKinnon

My expectation is that he'll be at least as good as these guys.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

He has the pedigree with his dad being a pro athlete himself. If he didn't have a proper mental makeup then he wouldn't be a gym rat and in amazing shape.

No doubt we all expect the future to be:

Matthews, left hand shot
Nylander, right hand shot

Both highly skilled, a nice 1-2 compliment down the middle.

Give Matthews his Marner and a player like Grundstrom (who I really like) to Nylander and I'm liking this plan.
Kadri as your 3rd line C. What's not to like. I'm not worried about the forwards at all. Solidify the D and I see years of playoff teams.

lukeleim

Dec 1, 2009
Calgary
Floor=50-60pt second line winger (slightly better version of Mason Raymond)
Ceiling=70-85pt first line winger/center (slightly better than his dad in his prime)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Ceiling, Seguin
Floor, Kadri

I'd say this is as good a guess as any.

Absolutely perfect. :clap:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Forwards within 0.55-0.65ppg (Willie was 0.59) in 20GP+, within 6 months of Willie Nylander's age:

Gabriel Landeskog
Taylor Hall
Vincent Damphousse
Pat Verbeek
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Brandon Saad
Jason Spezza
Patrick Marleau
Jonathan Huberdeau
Alexei Kovalev
Simon Gagne
Jarome Iginla
Nathan MacKinnon

My expectation is that he'll be at least as good as these guys.

At least as good? Some big names on that list but I like your optimism.

I figure worst case he is a 40+ point guy who plays 2nd or 3rd line but I also think that is unlikely.

Best case point a game.

I do think what position he settles into is also a factor though. I am hoping he settles in as out 2nd line centre for years to come but he could also be a first line winger. His point totals could be quite different depending on which one he becomes.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011

I figure worst case he is a 40+ point guy who plays 2nd or 3rd line but I also think that is unlikely.

Best case point a game.

I do think what position he settles into is also a factor though. I am hoping he settles in as out 2nd line centre for years to come but he could also be a first line winger. His point totals could be quite different depending on which one he becomes.

worst case 40 point player? really? no. In his prime his floor will be around 60 ceiling around 85. This is a player with top end skill, fitness, and attitude, those aren't 40 point players.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Best case point a game.

Agree with everything in this post. Especially the "I like your optimism" part.

I am optimistic. And I'm a Leaf fan. This will take some time getting used to. :laugh::laugh:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
worst case 40 point player? really? no. In his prime his floor will be around 60 ceiling around 85. This is a player with top end skill, fitness, and attitude, those aren't 40 point players.

You realise your opinion is not a fact right?

I did state I did not think that was likely but it never hurts to be open to all possibilities.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Anyone think that Babs lets Matthews carry his own line?

If you're an opposing coach, who do you cover... JVR - Matthews or Nylander - Marner?
Nylander and Marner don't seem like an obvious pair, but if they click it could be a great option moving forward.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

If you're an opposing coach, who do you cover... JVR - Matthews or Nylander - Marner?
Nylander and Marner don't seem like an obvious pair, but if they click it could be a great option moving forward.

Any way you combine those 4 is a nightmare for opposing teams.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

To me a future first line of

JVR-Matthews-Marner

is a no brainer, it has everything you need on a line though it may be a year or so before that settles out. With Nylander I would start looking at the best pieces to fit with him, Brown/Komo maybe?

There is still a lot of guess work in who will eventually be the second line guys in our army of winger prospects , maybe none, maybe a few who trade in and out. Nylander and Kapanen like playing together but will Kapanen prove to be a second liner? It will be interesting to see. Maybe even Reichel would make sense if he pans out.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Any way you combine those 4 is a nightmare for opposing teams.

I guess this is true :laugh:

Either way, I think you could stick Matthews with two AHL plugs and he would still draw the opposition's top pairing D.

JVR-Matthews-Marner

is a no brainer, it has everything you need on a line though it may be a year or so before that settles out. With Nylander I would start looking at the best pieces to fit with him, Brown/Komo maybe?

There is still a lot of guess work in who will eventually be the second line guys in our army of winger prospects , maybe none, maybe a few who trade in and out. Nylander and Kapanen like playing together but will Kapanen prove to be a second liner? It will be interesting to see. Maybe even Reichel would make sense if he pans out.

On paper that line looks phenomenal.. But 'ya never know.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

JVR-Matthews-Marner

A possible 2nd line of Timashov Nylander Johnson is a very interesting thought to me.
Edit: korshkov needs an honorable mention too for 2nd line with Willie.

Last edited:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I guess this is true :laugh:

Either way, I think you could stick Matthews with two AHL plugs and he would still draw the opposition's top pairing D.

I have notice in the limited viewings I've seen mathews play that he has a knack of drawing both defenders to him as he enters the offensive zone, then gives the perfect dish and moves into the prime spot for the rebound/pass.
Gem!!

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
A possible 2nd line of Timashov Nylander Johnson is a very interesting thought to me.
Edit: korshkov needs an honorable mention too for 2nd line with Willie.

Have been trying to get a read on Korshkov, there doesn't seem to be much out there on him other than a few slick WJC highlights and some puckhounding KHL highlights, do you peg him as a potential top 6 guy?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Have been trying to get a read on Korshkov, there doesn't seem to be much out there on him other than a few slick WJC highlights and some puckhounding KHL highlights, do you peg him as a potential top 6 guy?
Top 6 is absolutely his potential imo.
The highlights you are talking about is his game. His game and Timashov game are very similar but korshkov has a bit more size, though Timashov is a tank, and uses it to abandon.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
its safe to say that kadri, bozak, jvr, leo, matthews, and nylander are the 6 best forwards next year

so im pretty sure babs gonna role with 3 lines, and have 2 of them on each...most likely looking like

kadri leo
bozak jvr
matthews nylander

and go from there

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

This is what will happen eventually.

I can even potentially see him in a couple years having Nylander, Marner and Matthews each on their own line: run three scoring lines just like the Pens did in the playoffs with their big three forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad