Do you consider Nylander a "lock" for the NHL now? What's his floor/ceiling?

nonikhanna

Feb 9, 2011
Maple Tree
His floor will probably be somewhere between Semin and Kadri,
No idea for his ceiling. Plus if he takes the 2nd C spot in the future, he will have an easier time than the Matthews Line. So could be scoring at a crazy rate. most likely a PPG player easily.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Willie has improved dramatically since he was drafted and is close to a complete player now. With his shooting arsenal and Matthews feeding him the puck 30 goals is very realistic.

You got that right. If there's one thing Willy showed in his brief stint with the Leafs, it's that he can score from anywhere in the offensive zone, on any type of shot. And he doesn't flub passes or shoot into the goalie's chest. It's either top corner, or a close miss.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Damn those are impressive numbers. He most definitely has the potential to become a gamebreaker in this league, on top of us already having 2 other potential gamebreakers. What an insane time to be a Leafs fan.

We could basically have our own Crosby-Malkin-Kessel trio. Our guys won't be as good offensively, but they'll be better defensively.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
I don't really see a "gamebreaker". His sniping was the only thing that might be special. Everything else was good, but not special

I would probably have said the same about Gretzky though. "He looks good, only thing that might be special is his hockey sense, but I don't see gamebreaker. Probably more of a 50 point guy"

nonikhanna

Feb 9, 2011
Maple Tree
We could basically have our own Crosby-Malkin-Kessel trio. Our guys won't be as good offensively, but they'll be better defensively.

Crosby Malkin Kessel trio is best case scenario.

I think they will be more like Kopitar, Jeff Carter, Gaborik.
With our other prospects playing the roles of Pearson, Toffoli etc.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
Wow lots of extreme(to put it nicely) views here.

I like Nylander, and I think he is as close to a lock to start the season as we have...unless he really blows it in pre-season.

The thing is I don't expect him to be a PPG player. I think on a high end Nylander will be a 60+ point guy, but we should be happy if he is a 50+ guy as that makes him a legit top 6 forward in this league now. 40 fowards last season scored 60+, 85 scored 50+. If Nylander can turn into a legit top 6 forward he will be one of the better 8th overall picks in the last decade.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Looks like a future consistent scorer to me with upside in terms of all around play. The biggest caveat will be his attitude towards team aims over personal aims. Seems to have a bit of a strut that if contained makes a competitive/productive pro athlete (Patrick Kane) and if allowed to fester produces a talented pain in the neck (Evander Kane).

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I don't want to seem like I don't support him. I think it is most likely he will play in the NHL from now on. I don't know as of now if he can net 30 goals.

I think it's highly unlikely he hits 30 goals this coming season but I don't think 30 in his career is unlikely. The guy put up a 22 goal pace in games last season. Is an 8 goal boost really that much a crazy step to think he could make? Especially with improved linemates? Probably not...

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Looks like a future consistent scorer to me with upside in terms of all around play. The biggest caveat will be his attitude towards team aims over personal aims. Seems to have a bit of a strut that if contained makes a competitive/productive pro athlete (Patrick Kane) and if allowed to fester produces a talented pain in the neck (Evander Kane).

That seems highly speculative and still based on totally crap that came from his rookie season and was never actually proven to be true.

Being confident is not the same thing as have a potential attitude problem.

Mad Brills*

Floor: ~45 points, Kadri like production.

Ceilling: ~65 point centreman.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
That seems highly speculative and still based on totally crap that came from his rookie season and was never actually proven to be true.

Being confident is not the same thing as have a potential attitude problem.

Since it's a thread asking for speculation...

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
This thread is very surprising. Given the ridiculous number of times that Nylander is offered in trade proposals made by Leafs fans, I assumed that most believe that he will be a bust.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This thread is very surprising. Given the ridiculous number of times that Nylander is offered in trade proposals made by Leafs fans, I assumed that most believe that he will be a bust.

This makes very little sense.

Mr Hockey*

60 - 70 points in 2016-17 and becomes a career Top 10 point getter.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando

Comparing Nylander's swagger to two accused rapists is ****ing over the top.

On and off the ice, Alexander Ovechkin has way more swagger than either of those guys, and he doesn't require "containment", and doesn't seem to require any extra guidance to not rape or beat up people, or put himself in situations where it could even be remotely construed that way.

There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to the contrary that Willie has solid character, and comes from a great family.

Mr Hockey*

Comparing Nylander's swagger

On and off the ice, Alexander Ovechkin has way more swagger than either of those guys, and he doesn't require "containment", and doesn't seem to require any extra guidance to not rape or beat up people, or put himself in situations where it could even be remotely construed that way.

There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to the contrary that Willie has solid character, and comes from a great family.

ya, I am not comfortable with your rapist comment, why dont you edit it out :nod:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

Research the name of his now deleted twitter handle and its meaning. That it's deleted is a positive sign that the Leafs are reaching him.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Research the name of his now deleted twitter handle and its meaning. That it's deleted is a positive sign that the Leafs are reaching him.

Oh my goodness lol. Whatever fits the narrative right?

First of all, it's far more likely it was a kid who didn't understand what it meant. Which is HIGHLY likely considering he spent a good chunk of his life in a country who's main language is Swedish.

Secondly of all, it's not even a majorly commonly used term. Also it's not exactly a derogatory term but that neither here nor there.

The kid never had any issues. They were BS. And the fact your still trying to push the narrative is asinine. And your using an twitter handle to try and push it lol.

Grasping. At. Straws.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

:rolleyes:

Trying to make a dirty Twitter handle he had when he was a teenager into a character issue that's being managed by a billion dollar sports corporation. Quite a reach, no?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad