Do you consider Nylander a "lock" for the NHL now? What's his floor/ceiling?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
mhm, I'll take the approach that emphasizes realism, good talk.

An approach that would emphasize realism would take into account that prospect development is not set in stone, like the guy you quoted did.

Being decisive and sure about things that are, by their very nature, not sure isn't being realistic.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
I ****ing love Willie and want him to have a number other than 39. I liked the whole 'team first mentality, therefore don't choose your number' approach.... but Willie would look so much better wearing 92 like his father. Not the myth, legend, man himself Matt Frattin's old number.

I want a Nylander jersey before I see the Leafs play in December

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
An approach that would emphasize realism would take into account that prospect development is not set in stone, like the guy you quoted did.

Being decisive and sure about things that are, by their very nature, not sure isn't being realistic.

Why say anything then? saying anything can happen is literally by definition void of any value, making the statement meaningless. You can't have it both ways, such that when you say nothing you consequently cant be penalized. Be decisive, take a stance and find out if you are right or wrong in time. Don't sell me on this other political crap. As for me, my posting history on here has shown time and time again that being decisive is the better way to go, and you know exactly what i'm talking about. The morale of the story is that you people need to stop trying to exhaust all possibilities of being wrong when making these blanket/generic statements.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Why say anything then? saying anything can happen is literally by definition void of any value, making the statement meaningless. You can't have it both ways, such that when you say nothing you consequently cant be penalized. Be decisive, take a stance and find out if you are right or wrong in time. Don't sell me on this other political crap. As for me, my posting history on here has shown time and time again that being decisive is the better way to go, and you know exactly what i'm talking about. The morale of the story is that you people need to stop trying to exhaust all possibilities of being wrong when making these blanket/generic statements.

And here I thought I was the arrogant one on these boards... :laugh:

Mikey, it's not a competition to end up right the most times. It's a discussion on development possibilities and probabilities. You might very well end up hitching your horses to the right possibility, but that doesn't mean that you were any less wrong in stating that the other possibilities don't exist.

You often seem to argue as if this is a competition to making the most correct predictions, and I'm sorry to inform you that from what I see, you are playing alone and nobody else seems to care that the game is on.

Last edited:

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I think Willie will have a Spezza like career.

That's pretty impressive. I don't see it, but I don't challenge it, either. He reminds me of Elias a bit. If he regularly hits 60 points, I'll be happy. Anything more is gravy.

It'll be interesting to see how long this group stays together, given the turnover rate of players these days. I really like the potential I see in the Leaf core. Though, I suspect that Nylander may end up being dangled to secure a young top pairing defenseman. Especially if Kadri has just signed long-term. It would be nice to have our defense locked up, though.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
That's pretty impressive. I don't see it, but I don't challenge it, either. He reminds me of Elias a bit. If he regularly hits 60 points, I'll be happy. Anything more is gravy.

It'll be interesting to see how long this group stays together, given the turnover rate of players these days. I really like the potential I see in the Leaf core. Though, I suspect that Nylander may end up being dangled to secure a young top pairing defenseman. Especially if Kadri has just signed long-term. It would be nice to have our defense locked up, though.

I think the fact that Kadri is locked in for the long term with a very reasonable salary will be very attractive in the trade market as long as his production be around 50pts.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
how ridiculous is it that Nylander is our #3 prospect?
he would be #1 on 20-25 teams in the league.

Floor: 50-55 pt, 2nd liner
Ceiling: 75-80pt, 1st liner

I personally think he comes somewhere in the middle and is a solid 60-70pt winger

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Viewing his development since being drafted, its difficult not to be excited and projecting Willy's ceiling as top 6.

Personally, with Matthews on board, I see Nylander as the Leaf's #2 C in the seasons to come. I like his game so much I'd argue that the Leaf's will possess a 1A and 1B C situation, much like Crosby and Malkin, which is not to say either Matthews or Nylander will reach the wonderful heights of the Pen's duo, but that together they represent the best potential 1-2 punch the Leafs have had since...gosh, I can't remember when. But they are very skilled players and capable of achieving special things.

Giving the nod to Matthews as our 1C, Willy will eventually settle in as our 2nd line C and if joined by players of quality on wing, I can see him having a very healthy career 25G/35-45A/yr, depending on whether he's joined by a quality shooter on his wing and how much PP time Babcock allots.

This coming year I'd consider him a lock on wing 1st/2nd line or our #3 C. If he does get time as our #3 C, I might chance pairing him with everybody's favorite whipping boy, Lupul (should he suit up) and Matt Martin. Martin can wreak havoc and offer some cycling down low, offer a bit of protection and with Willy's speed and vision, Lupul (uhhh, I hate to think he's still a Leaf) may actually be freed up enough to receive some gift goals without having to be physically engaged and then come TDL, tadaa he's gone. Well, one can dream :)

LoneWolf

Dec 11, 2015
I think Nylander will struggle not being the number 1 golden boy with Matthews here now.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I think Nylander will struggle not being the number 1 golden boy with Matthews here now.

This is the bs rumours that saw him drop out of the top 2 down to us at 8th.

If anything that will only spur him on to work even harder.

He has proven that time after time. He will do what is asked of him, and more.

And teams can have more then 1 golden boy.

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I think the fact that Kadri is locked in for the long term with a very reasonable salary will be very attractive in the trade market as long as his production be around 50pts.

I don't think that'll happen until the second deadline of that contract. Kadri's becoming a really good two-way player, though, and I like the idea of him being developed into our checking line center. He can end up logging a lot of minutes, and developing the other side of his game in the process so that he's a two-way useful team player.

With Matthews and Kadri in those top two slots, Nylander will have a good place to develop by anchoring the third line. Low priority for other teams.

Mr Hockey*

how ridiculous is it that Nylander is our #3 prospect?
he would be #1 on 20-25 teams in the league.

Floor: 50-55 pt, 2nd liner
Ceiling: 75-80pt, 1st liner

I personally think he comes somewhere in the middle and is a solid 60-70pt winger

He is really our 2nd ...

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
My guess is that Nylander will end up being a Kane/Gaudreau style of player - and that he'll probably end up somewhere in between those two in both skill and ppg.

Not quite as good as Kane, a tad better than Gaudie.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK

I think it'll push him to work harder. He wants to be the best so he'll train to be the best. I think he will be our most offensively talented player. More so than Marner and Matthews.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
With Matthews I can't see Nylander ever being the 1C but he could be the best 2C in the league if he breaks PPG. We have a solid top 6 in the making for sure.

Mr Hockey*

I see Matthews and Nylander as #1a - #1b on the leafs, both scoring centers. This team will be a handful to play against in the future. :nod:

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
And here I thought I was the arrogant one on these boards... :laugh:

Mikey, it's not a competition to end up right the most times. It's a discussion on development possibilities and probabilities. You might very well end up hitching your horses to the right possibility, but that doesn't mean that you were any less wrong in stating that the other possibilities don't exist.

You often seem to argue as if this is a competition to making the most correct predictions, and I'm sorry to inform you that from what I see, you are playing alone and nobody else seems to care that the game is on.

No I don't, I just don't like blanket statements that are open ended enough to absolve the person of ever being wrong. To me, its like why even post if you are ultimately saying nothing? I just don't understand it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad