Do you consider Nylander a "lock" for the NHL now? What's his floor/ceiling?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
No I don't, I just don't like blanket statements that are open ended enough to absolve the person of ever being wrong. To me, its like why even post if you are ultimately saying nothing? I just don't understand it.

It's fair to state your opinion and stand by it but this particular thread is asking for his floor and his ceiling which defacto has to be contradictory.

LoneWolf

Dec 11, 2015
This is the bs rumours that saw him drop out of the top 2 down to us at 8th.

If anything that will only spur him on to work even harder.

He has proven that time after time. He will do what is asked of him, and more.

And teams can have more then 1 golden boy.

Was he asked to be total no show in the Marlies playoff run last season? Mission accomplished. I could care less about prospect rank, I don't pay attention to that. We will see how things play out in the fall, anything else is speculation.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
It's fair to state your opinion and stand by it but this particular thread is asking for his floor and his ceiling which defacto has to be contradictory.

That's not what I was originally talking about. My problem is with the lower limits people are suggesting, which equates to him either being a bust or being a superstar. That argument and the "potential/what have you done in the NHL comment" are the 2 weakest arguments on HFBoards, which is moreso what im saying. What are you really adding to the thread if you use the superstar or bust argument? Nothing, thats why IMO its better for people to be more decisive and stop hiding behind these safety net comments.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
That's not what I was originally talking about. My problem is with the lower limits people are suggesting, which equates to him either being a bust or being a superstar. That argument and the "potential/what have you done in the NHL comment" are the 2 weakest arguments on HFBoards, which is moreso what im saying. What are you really adding to the thread if you use the superstar or bust argument? Nothing, thats why IMO its better for people to be more decisive and stop hiding behind these safety net comments.

OK I didn't read too far back in the thread, so maybe I'm reading your issue wrong, but imo all the comments in this thread have to be duplicitous as the question by the OP is asking for the diametrically opposite opinions on Nylander so the posters, in this thread, must represent both ends of the spectrum to answer the OP.
If the thread was what kind of player do you think Nylander will be and posters are giving his floor AND his ceiling, then I see your angst.
Again I'm kind of butting into a conversation so if I'm not hitting the nail on the head about what you were discussing forgive me.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
As far as I can tell Willie has all the raw skill to be a solid top line point producer in the NHL. His passing and shooting are both elite. He's a deceivingly fast skater and doesn't need much of an opening to attack the net. I know its been hotly contested on these boards but I do think there is a float element to his game that will get him glued to the bench if he doesn't improve upon it. That to me is the biggest difference between him and Marner. Mitch is much more likely to get involved in puck battles and be a general pain in the ass away from the puck. Their skillset and offensive ceilings are nearly equal but their styles of play are noticeably different.

Mr Hockey*

With Willies skillset and with Babcock to help in his development, I expect Willie will be a top 20 NHL player his entire career... my opinion.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
With Willies skillset and with Babcock to help in his development, I expect Willie will be a top 20 NHL player his entire career... my opinion.

Well I doubt for his first full season... and probably not when he is in his late 30s ;)

The best part is Babcock gets to mold some pretty awesome prospects from day 1 of their NHL careers.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Realized I hadn't actually answered on-topic, so here goes.

I think Nylander is a 100% lock to be an NHLer, already next season. I think his floor, barring anything that we can't predict like a career-altering injury, would be a great depth scoring winger. Someone who can put up 50-55 points on a scoring line that is sheltered.

For that to happen, I think we'd have to see a number of things happen. For example, if his added weight made him a bit less elusive leading to some struggles that in turn made him doubt his game. That could set him back enough for this scenario to happen. I don't think that's very likely though.

I think the projection I see is that he becomes a #2C with a terrific transition game and that can put up 1st line numbers. Say 65 points on average. Will likely look the best when put with two-way workhorse, puck retrieving wingers.

I think his ceiling is a 75-80 point #1C with the complete package. Transition game, a good defensive game based on intelligence. I always predict that he'll struggle a bit in match ups, like Tavares who is a beast but struggles notably when on the ice against the best centers in the game.

EDIT1: I'm well aware that a 50-55 point pace would give him 1st line production. When I say things like depth scoring line, I'm talking about ideal usage to get the most out of a player, not a production bracket.

EDIT2: I wonder if the guy who thinks Nylander has awful vision will join us.

No I don't, I just don't like blanket statements that are open ended enough to absolve the person of ever being wrong. To me, its like why even post if you are ultimately saying nothing? I just don't understand it.

Looking back at this, I think I misunderstood the point you made, Mikey. I apologize for that.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
one thing to consider is where the NHL is going with scoring. It goes down every year. 80 points will put you in the top 10 in scoring now, in 5 years it may be Art Ross territory.

I'd rather project him compared to the league, consistent top 20 in scoring would be good ceiling. Floor I would put consistent top 50.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Low End - he never materializes as an everyday NHL player.

High End - the next Wayne Gretzky

My guess is he winds up somewhere in between.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Low End - he never materializes as an everyday NHL player.

High End - the next Wayne Gretzky

My guess is he winds up somewhere in between.

lol, I presume this is tongue in cheek, and could apply to any forward prospect.
I'm thinking there isn't quite so much spread, low end would be a high end second line c/w, his high end is first line elite c/w. I know its been a limited NHL sample, but based on his AHL season, and NHL showing, we are looking at something quite special. It may actually benefit him that all of the spotlight this year will be on Matthews, and of course on Mitch and how he progresses. Nylander will fly a bit under the radar until he starts getting noticed for ROTY.

But then, I am an eternal optimist. Have to be as a Leafs fan. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad