Do you believe in Frederik Andersen? Would you re-sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

likecheese

Oct 21, 2019
Your goalie needs to make a save that are tough. Demko made plenty of them. Why can't Freddy?
idk, he's made plenty of tough saves, he's tie 2nd in the league in wins and fighting an injury.
2-2 in this game when the Nucks had the momentum was when you needed to play it safe and tick down the clock and then Rielly gets caught on the ice daydreaming about having to buy postcards or whether he left the oven on or something, leaving Andersen out to dry. And a lame pk off a terrible penalty, tip in front, Bogosian slow getting back. And dismal coaching. I don't think Freddy was the problem tonight.

Reactions: NikoEhlers

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
idk, he's made plenty of tough saves, he's tie 2nd in the league in wins and fighting an injury.
2-2 in this game when the Nucks had the momentum was when you needed to play it safe and tick down the clock and then Rielly gets caught on the ice daydreaming about having to buy postcards or whether he left the oven on or something, leaving Andersen out to dry. And a lame pk off a terrible penalty, tip in front, Bogosian slow getting back. And dysmal coaching. I don't think Freddy was the problem tonight.

Not being the problem on some nights isn't good enough for a contender's starter.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Andersen is tied for 2nd in wins.

iu

You can get out goalied and still win

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
2-2 in this game when the Nucks had the momentum was when you needed to play it safe and tick down the clock and then Rielly gets caught on the ice daydreaming about having to buy postcards or whether he left the oven on or something, leaving Andersen out to dry. And a lame pk off a terrible penalty, tip in front, Bogosian slow getting back. And dismal coaching. I don't think Freddy was the problem tonight.
Please don't tell me 2nd in wins means he is doing his job. Thats a team stat. Does that mean Raycroft did his job when he got all those wins?
As the other user mentioned, not being the problem isn't exactly a positive.
Sure he's made tough saves but not at the right time. The players making errors doesn't absolve him from making saves. He still callapsed and let in 3. Not sure why the team always gets blamed when it comes to Freddy.
Why are other goalies able to make tougher saves but he can't?

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

likecheese

Oct 21, 2019
Please don't tell me 2nd in wins means he is doing his job. Thats a team stat. Does that mean Raycroft did his job when he got all those wins?
As the other user mentioned, not being the problem isn't exactly a positive.
Sure he's made tough saves but not at the right time. The players making errors doesn't absolve him from making saves. He still callapsed and let in 3. Not sure why the team always gets blamed when it comes to Freddy.
Why are other goalies able to make tougher saves but he can't?
So 2nd in wins is a team stat but losing a game in a brutal team effort is on him?
1st goal... Forwards all get beaten, Bogo gets beaten to the outside and a rare crappy play by Brodie getting beat on the inside. Quick across bang bang. Andersen cheated to the shot but that pass shouldn't get through (sorry TJ)
2nd goal... Bogo's side of the ice, he's slow getting back to the middle and doesn't tie up the guy's stick, the only way Freddy makes that save is if it hits him in the nuts, not to mention a terrible penalty.
3rd goal... Rielly doing his best Luke Schenn and forgetting the game was on, bang bang again. How would that play look in a game 7 Conference final? It's your turn to be on the ice, wake up.
4th goal... 3 on 1 after a terrible turnover, point blank and wicked shot right under the bar
Blame Bogosian (should he be killing penalties, the jury is out), Nylander, Rielly, Marner, Keefe, Thornton, guys who were getting beat in puck battles and faceoffs all night, etc etc, I don't even comprehend how Andersen could get blamed for that mess, just gather up the film, burn it and move on.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
So 2nd in wins is a team stat but losing a game in a brutal team effort is on him?
1st goal... Forwards all get beaten, Bogo gets beaten to the outside and a rare crappy play by Brodie getting beat on the inside. Quick across bang bang. Andersen cheated to the shot but that pass shouldn't get through (sorry TJ)
2nd goal... Bogo's side of the ice, he's slow getting back to the middle and doesn't tie up the guy's stick, the only way Freddy makes that save is if it hits him in the nuts, not to mention a terrible penalty.
3rd goal... Rielly doing his best Luke Schenn and forgetting the game was on, bang bang again. How would that play look in a game 7 Conference final? It's your turn to be on the ice, wake up.
4th goal... 3 on 1 after a terrible turnover, point blank and wicked shot right under the bar
Blame Bogosian (should he be killing penalties, the jury is out), Nylander, Rielly, Marner, Keefe, Thornton, guys who were getting beat in puck battles and faceoffs all night, etc etc, I don't even comprehend how Andersen could get blamed for that mess, just gather up the film, burn it and move on.
Freddy's drop off has been significant the last two seasons. I have a statistic that I like to call TruSV% which is similar to GSAA but instead of comparing a goaltender to a league average SV% I compare them to a league average SA/60 and then factor in differences in high danger and low danger changes relative to league average to get a more accurate representation of a goaltenders performance vs how their team has played. Here is how he's ranked the last 4 seasons before this year:

2017: 8th best
2018: 8th best
2019: 11th best
2020: 41st best - yikes

I need more games to be played to calibrate this years stat's but he isn't in the top 30 this year and with the drop off is 17th overall in my 5 year rolling average model and trending down. He has not been good at all since 2019.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
Andersen is tied for 2nd in wins.

iu
Yes his .904 save percentage will take us a long way in the playoffs

never in my life have i seen such a fragile number one

this is freddy in a nutshell

let the first shot on goal go in
Let the other tesm score in the last minute of a period
Cant stop a beachball on a breakaway
Let at least one soft floater from the blue line go in
Cant make a save in a shootout
Cant make a big save at a crucial point in the game

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
I don't see much out in the goalie market and I don't see Campbell as a #1. If we can get him signed for a reasonable deal I would sign him.
But Freddy is proving he is not a # 1 either. Campbell is a battler. Reminds me of another kinda late bloomer who won a cup in Boston. They said he was not a # 1 either....Tim Thomas

Reactions: Crosscrease14

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
If not Anderson next year, who should be in nets for same salary roughly?

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
fourth goal

Good goalie wil stop that
It was a great shot. And it will go in from time to time. But Freddy lets that one in Every. Single. Time.

The book is out on that shot. Right circle over the glove snipe. Lost most of our OTs on that shot other than the breakaways.

I feel like shots from the left wing or middle of the ice he has a good handle on unless it gets tipped or something. But I cringe on every shot from the right side.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Andersen was in net and responsible for 77 of Leafs wins in his last 130 starts, that resulted in Dubas fastest Leafs GM to 100 wins mark.

That is performing at nearly .600 wins/game played pace (.593 actual) or 60% of the games he starts in result in a Leafs win.

That winning pace would equate to 48.5 wins on a full season.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Looking back, Andersen turned a corner around March, 2019 and never really recovered. He took a couple of injuries just prior to that so I wonder if they took a bit out of him.

Stats from 2016-Feb.2019 and Ranking out of the 23 goalkeepers with at least 7000 minutes played.

TOI: 10422:18 (1st out of 23)
Shots Against/60: 33.32 (Highest out of the 23)
Expected Goals Against/60: 2.78 (2nd highest out of 23)
Save%: .919 (Tied for 5th out of 23)

Really solid top ten caliber goaltending that regularly saved his team from a defensive shooting gallery. Should have probably got some Vezina votes during this time.

March 2019 - Coaching change (Nov. 20th, 2019) and Ranking out of the 31 goalkeepers with at least 1200 minutes played:

TOI: 7592:36 (7th out of 31)
Shots Against/60: 32.29 (8th highest out of the 31))
Expected Goals Against/60: 2.61 (12th highest out of 31)
Save%: .906 (23rd out of 31)

You can really see him slipping here in spite of improving defensive numbers as the team became more well rounded.

Numbers under Keefe and Ranking out of the 32 goalkeepers with at least 2400 minutes played:

TOI: 4082:21 (5th out of 32)
Shots Against/60: 30.72 (14th highest out of the 32)
Expected Goals Against/60: 2.45 (19th highest out of 32)
Save%: .909 (16th out of 32)

Defensive numbers continue to drastically improve but Freddy just never gets back to his old self. He was a minute eating warrior in net for us but his best days may be behind him. Chances are he goes somewhere else for a payday as I don't think it's in the Leafs best interests to sign a declining asset for the money he's going to ask for. I'm not crapping on him for no reason here and I appreciate his play for us but it is what it is.....

RaptorLeaf13

Feb 23, 2020
This is the goaltending the Leafs need consistently to win a cup:

n
ot this kind of goaltending:

Last edited:

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
All 4 goals were very tough to stop, I think most goalies let in 4+ last night. I thought we outplayed the Nucks slightly, but not a lot, and they had better puck luck. It happens.

Goals 1 and 4 were great execution by the Nucks (cross ice pass to a guy basically in the crease on the first, then a perfect snipe on a 3-on-2 on the fourth), but goals 2 and 3 were reasonably lucky (a tip that happened to go on the perfect spot, and 3 was super lucky, Brodie’s stock broke blocking the shot, the puck went weirdly off Rielly and popped into the perfect spot for Miller).

I think Freddy is a below average starter, but those blaming him for the loss last night either didn’t watch the game, or just aren’t logical.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
All 4 goals were very tough to stop, I think most goalies let in 4+ last night. I thought we outplayed the Nucks slightly, but not a lot, and they had better puck luck. It happens.

I think Freddy is a below average starter, but those blaming him for the loss last night either didn’t watch the game, or just aren’t logical.

I think the frustration with Freddie comes from 4.5 seasons where he's only able to play to the level of the team around him and the history of not being able to single-handedly steal wins in big playoff game situations. It never even occurs to me that in a playoff series, Freddie could get "red hot."

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland