Do you believe in Frederik Andersen? Would you re-sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Do you guys believe in Freddy? I feel he is way out of position (especially when recovering for rebounds) and generally the worst goalie on the ice. He's rocking his sub .900 save % while Campbell is a rocking a .923 save % with the same D.

He looks to me like he's declining, and I definitely do not want him as our starter moving forward with him being a UFA and looking for a payday this offseason, not to mention his playoff collapses in big games. It's almost guaranteed he'll give at least 1 bad goal (usually more) in every big playoff game.

I know the Leafs get a lot of blame for their defence, but I think a big part of why it's looked so bad in the past was every decent chance would be a goal, making the defence look worse.

What are your thoughts on him?

Reactions: LeafsRus

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
He's playing for his contract this year for sure but I can't see him getting a raise and is probably going to make less next year wherever he goes due to the current climate.

Reactions: hullsy47

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I would re sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal with a 4mil aav. I wouldn’t go any higher than that.

Shooter14

57 years now and still hoping.
Feb 5, 2018
I wouldn't resign him. I would go with Campbell as the starter. His cap hit is $1.650 mil versus Anderson hit at $ 5mil. They both have the same career save percentage of .916, the savings on the cap could be used to shore up the defence even more. There would be a lot of back up options on the market at a reasonable cap hit.

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
I wouldn't resign him. I would go with Campbell as the starter. His cap hit is $1.650 mil versus Anderson hit at $ 5mil. They both have the same career save percentage of .916, the savings on the cap could be used to shore up the defence even more. There would be a lot of back up options on the market at a reasonable cap hit.
The savings will go to Hyman, who's up for a big raise. Likely in the 4-4.5 mil range.

Reactions: BM14 and Brown Dog

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
Andersons been the most consistent goalie we've had in years. Hes also faced the most shots of any goalie his entire tenure here. Wed be shortsighted not to sign him. "Star" goalies are getting like 8 to 10 million right now. If we could get him between 5 or 6 million we should do it, but because of cap restraints and some bloated contracts we might not be able to. I like Campbell but hes never played 60 games in a season not sure how hed fair. People are quick to dismiss positive players and coaches that have helped create our new team, im not sure why? (Lou,Babcock,Anderson are some of the main reasons were in the position were in).

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
66 starts .918sv%
66 starts .918sv%
Not many goalies can manage that.

This season Campbell had a good game and that's his save percentage. In that game he looked a bit shaky and fought the puck but it was his first game. I think he's a good goalie but hasn't shown starter durability and he's injured already.
I would re-sign Fred but at the right term and cap hit

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I’m honestly a fan of Linus Ullmark. He’s put up pretty good numbers behind awful Buffalo teams. He’s 6’4, athletic and wouldn’t break the bank. He’d form a nice 1A-1B with Campbell. I don’t see Ullmark costing more than 3.5 per.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafsRus

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Andersen is a good player who has a tendency of being inconsistent during the regular season, he's very good or very bad for long stretches

He also has a tendency to let in some back breaking goals when the team needs him to stand up and be the best goaltender on the ice

I wouldn't pay him as a #1G, as he ages I see him as more of a platoon goaltender and I would offer him a contract that reflects that reality 3.5M-4M×3 would be my offer and if he doesn't want to accept that I'd let him walk

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
My question for people who dont want him back is who's replacing him? I'm on the fence with Freddy. I find him incredibly skilled but isn't capable of ever carrying the team like you'll see with an elite goalie. If you go with Campbell, you'd better have a 1B behind him because as much as I like Campbell, he's never been a number 1.

Reactions: Sniper99

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
It all comes down the team's performance in the playoffs. If they get to the final four and he's solid, then 2-3 years seems fair and relatively low risk - assuming the price is right. If they get bounced and/or he is shaky, probably time to move on.

But as ^ pointed out, they will need a replacement. Goalies that have a proven track record for delivering in the playoffs is a short list. Affordable and available ones? An even shorter list.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
My question for people who dont want him back is who's replacing him? I'm on the fence with Freddy. I find him incredibly skilled but isn't capable of ever carrying the team like you'll see with an elite goalie. If you go with Campbell, you'd better have a 1B behind him because as much as I like Campbell, he's never been a number 1.

66 starts .918sv%
66 starts .918sv%
Not many goalies can manage that.

This season Campbell had a good game and that's his save percentage. In that game he looked a bit shaky and fought the puck but it was his first game. I think he's a good goalie but hasn't shown starter durability and he's injured already.
I would re-sign Fred but at the right term and cap hit

Campbell is a good goalie, I know he's never been a starter but he's never had a chance. Fun fact: Campbell had a higher save percentage than Quick every year he was there and a better save percentage than Andersen every year he was here (to date).

He's even played 31 games for LA in the 18-19 season and managed a .928 save %, Quick that same year played 46 games and had a .888 save percentage for comparison.

I'd even argue that it's harder as a backup because you don't get time and reps to get into your groove. You get a start here and then another one maybe a week or 2 later, and the odd game where you have to come in cold because the starter got pulled.

Imagine Freddy as the backup. He stinks it up at the beginning of every season, he would never have time to find his game and would probably never be a regular NHL goalie.

Get a capable backup and run them 1-2.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think the save% is misleading for him, it's not great but he's making the clutch saves when the team needs it case in point the 2 on 1 last night and the save on Draisatial in the final minute, the OT VS Montreal etc.

I don't think this thread exists if Edmonton doesn't get handed PP, after PP after PP after PP after PP after PP last night.

Campbell Has been great but he's played 2 games and now he's hurt and that's the reason I don't believe he can be the guy, you need to be able to play 55-60 games and he can't.

As much as people want there to be a goalie controversy there isn't one.believe in Freddy and yes I'd like him to stay.

If he doesn't that's fine but then you need to replace him, and no jack Campbell can't be the replacement

MS13

Oct 26, 2013
Hamilton
Campbell is a good goalie, but i don't see him being a starting goaltender. Andersen's best days may be behind him. It'll be difficult trying to find a legitimate number 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad