Do you believe in Frederik Andersen? Would you re-sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
EwFiORNWgAEAR1A

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
High danger chances for favoured the Leafs TWENTY-FOUR TO SIX and the Leafs outshot the Jets 39-23, but let's absolve Andersen of any blame when he was the second-best goalie on the ice... again. If Andersen was anywhere near average last night, the Leafs win that game.
So he should have stopped two deflections right in front of him, and a bang-bang pass to the slot where Justin Holl completely blew his assignment?

The problem with stats is that they tell you the result without context as to how and why. The how and why are important.

Reactions: NikoEhlers

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
So he should have stopped two deflections right in front of him, and a bang-bang pass to the slot where Justin Holl completely blew his assignment?

The problem with stats is that they tell you the result without context as to how and why. The how and why are important.
Goalies still save tips all the time. I won't blame a goalie for a tipped goal, but to say none of them could be saved is incorrect. Saving only the goals you’re supposed to isn’t good enough.

I'm having a difficult time giving the benefit of the doubt to the 5M goalie that has put up a .907 SV% over the last two seasons despite the team in front of him improving.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Goalies still save tips all the time. I won't blame a goalie for a tipped goal, but to say none of them could be saved is incorrect. Saving only the goals you’re supposed to isn’t good enough.

I'm having a difficult time giving the benefit of the doubt to the 5M goalie that has put up a .907 SV% over the last two seasons despite the team in front of him improving.
Exactly. We have a goalie that can make a routine save (most of the time), big whoop.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Two deflections and Justin Holl leaving Connor alone in the slot caused goals..

...but blame the goalie for one of the worst defensive efforts they’ve shown all year.

Most of you should just lead with “I can’t intelligently dissect the game so I use stats to feel apart of the conversation”
I feel like I’m taking crazing pills. You actually think this was one of their worst defensive efforts this year? We allowed more dangerous chances in each of the 3 Oilers games.

Someone should tell Hellebuyck he isn’t allowed to save all the deflections and slot chances he did.

If this game was just one, in an otherwise good season, no one would be blaming Andersen. However part of being a starting goalie means stealing your team some games, and we’re waiting and waiting and waiting, and the dude never steps up for a full 60.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I’ve said it before but I actually think there’s a segment of the Leaf fanbase that’s been conditioned, after years and years of poor goaltending, to expect the bare minimum of their starters.

It’s the NHL. Tipped shots and deflections happen. Other goalies face them and somehow manage to not rock a 0.903

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I’ve said it before but I actually think there’s a segment of the Leaf fanbase that’s been conditioned, after years and years of poor goaltending, to expect the bare minimum of their starters.

It’s the NHL. Tipped shots and deflections happen. Other goalies face them and somehow manage to not rock a 0.903
I think the problem is that most fans don’t know shit about goaltending so they put a lot of weight into numbers that lack context.

Best to just assess on a goal-by-goal basis. If a puck is deflected right in front and finds its way inside the bar, I don’t blame goalie. When puck is centred to Connor in the slot because Justin Holl isn’t picking up his assignment, I don’t blame the goalie.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

They do. Any honest goalie will tell you that saving a slap shot deflected right in front of you is pure luck. Positioning and ‘being big’ come into play, but when it’s deflected just inside the bar, you aren’t getting it. Simple as that.

Stop looking at numbers and pay more attention to how and why goals go in against the Leafs.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Odd how many people expect impossibly perfect defense, while not expecting their goalie to make any saves that are remotely difficult.

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
:Jets fan coming in peace with an observation:
The Jets are really lucky to have Helle and the more I watch him the more I realize how good he is. What my son and I notice every time we see Freddy play is how he looks like a fish flopping all over the place. It isn't a la Hasek, but it reminds us of how Pavelec used to play for the Jets. It was intensely frustrating. Freddy looks like he's trying to do too much. He's noisy in the net. He's always dropping early and often, diving at pucks. If you guys watch Helle you'll notice that even when he's making spectacular saves it seems he's still calm and quiet in there. I think that goes for all of the really solid goalies in the NHL. While Freddy is a talented goalie, it appears to us that he isn't fundamentally sound and that is something I don't think gets fixed at his age anymore. I do think that without a better goalie this Leaf's iteration (which is impressive) aren't winning anything. It's not a knock on the team. It's just that the only team in recent memory that won with subpar goaltending was the Hawks back with Niemi(I think it was him).

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Odd how many people expect impossibly perfect defense, while not expecting their goalie to make any saves that are remotely difficult.
Tying up your man in front as a defenseman isn’t impossibly perfect defense, though?

It’s not like Connor made a good play to shake him or get loose, Holl was puck watching and left him untouched.

That’s basic pee wee shit.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

We have lost all 3 in regulation. Really upsetting. The first 2 okay we didn't score enough. Yesterday we scored 3 in a game we dominated, but Freddy said I will lose the game for us.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

So sad but true.
And no making a big save at 4-2 doesn't count. Thats like saying I messed up, but hey I made the save after.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Again, if last night's game happened in his .917 seasons, I don't think people would be ripping on him.

But this is happening too often now. Goalies need to be making saves they have no business making. On a high-danger chance, there need to be times where we all go "oh shit" and then "whoa what a save!" rather than "oh shit" and then "I knew it".

Make the outrageous save along with the expected saves. The goaltending shouldn't be getting worse as the defence gets better but here we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad