Do you believe in Frederik Andersen? Would you re-sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I don't even really try to blame him for the Leafs woes, but that's about the best I can say about him. I don't really understand why people look at him and see this great goalie who saves the Leafs asses, who we need to bring back on another big contract. Like, where are you getting that from? When he's at his best, he's pretty average. Goalie who are worse than him, manage to have games on occasion where they stand on their head, make saves they shouldn't, frustrate the other team, and get a win for their team in a game that they don't deserve. Andersen literally never does that.

For his first few years here, he was able to be average on such a consistent basis that it made him a pretty good choice. Goalies are voodoo and average will do. Now that's he's struggling to be average, I'm not sure what's there that people want so badly.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
It's crazy to me how much of an overlap there is between people who think guys like Nylander, Kerfoot, Engvall are overpaid relative to their contributions (especially in the playoffs) but are dead set on extending and even giving a raise to Andersen.

Even if he wasn't the most mentally fragile goalie in the league, he's in his 30s and has had groin issues every year he's been here. He's already dangerously close to cap dump territory at 5 mil longterm.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
He is the most proven of all our goalies. Risky to change horses going into the playoffs. At the end of the day, I think we can win with Andy if the rest of the team pulls their weight.

If Dubas does not agree then he better be making a change soon.

Most proven to be what?

Reactions: saffronleaf

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Andersen has 12-4-2 record this year in his 18 starts accounting for 26 of a possible 36 points while in net.

In most cases a goalie just has to be solid and not cost the team games and with Leafs gifted offensive line-up should provide enough run support to win games.

While I've never been the biggest Freddy fan as some weak goal tendencies he lets in have been back breakers and annoying, his overall play at least is generally not the reason Leafs are losing games.

His game #7 performances under pressure is when he seems to be most volatile when needed most however.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It's crazy to me how much of an overlap there is between people who think guys like Nylander, Kerfoot, Engvall are overpaid relative to their contributions (especially in the playoffs) but are dead set on extending and even giving a raise to Andersen.

Even if he wasn't the most mentally fragile goalie in the league, he's in his 30s and has had groin issues every year he's been here. He's already dangerously close to cap dump territory at 5 mil longterm.

Freddy is all but gone IMO, but unless Dubas brings in another goalie, or he is injured, or Campbell proves he can carry the mail, Freddy is our #1 starter.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Wonder what the feeling will be around here when Dubas re-signs him?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Freddy is all but gone IMO, but unless Dubas brings in another goalie, or he is injured, or Campbell proves he can carry the mail, Freddy is our #1 starter.

Freddy+ for someone like Khudobin would give us about 2 mil to spend on upgrades elsewhere without downgrading at G. Andersen and Kerfoot are the only 2 obvious positions where we can trim a lot of fat, everyone else is playing at or above their cap hit expectations.

I just don't see the point of wasting another series with a lame duck goalie who probably knows he's gone no matter how he plays.

Steve776

Feb 8, 2021
He's a middle of the pack goalie. I don't think he's bad, but I don't think he's great. He's good enough for the regular season. The problem with him is he seems to be at his worst when his performance matters the most. Lots of teams have won a cup without elite goaltending, but not usually without consistent goaltending. Freddie runs too hot and cold for my liking.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Freddy+ for someone like Khudobin would give us about 2 mil to spend on upgrades elsewhere without downgrading at G.

I just don't see the point of wasting another series with a lame duck goalie who probably knows he's gone no matter how he plays.

Khudobin resigned in Dallas. I doubt he can reach the level he did last playoffs or whether he is even on the block. Better option is a pending UFA like Ullmark or Grubauer (my choice). You might also have to find a team that will give you something for Andy (Canes??).

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
So Reimer is better than Belfour?

How many playoff series wins?

Quite honestly, i dont really care about all these what about this/that whatever. Andersen is not a super elite goaltender. I dont see him winning the Vezina. But the TML are a team built around the superstar forwards and if they still need the goalie to carry them to wins then frankly what is the point of having these superstars on the roster.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Andrew Raycroft held the Leafs record for wins in a season. What did you think of him?

There isn't much of a comparison to be made between the two goalies. Andersen broke that record in six fewer games while having the much better SV% and GAA.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Quite honestly, i dont really care about all these what about this/that whatever. Andersen is not a super elite goaltender. I dont see him winning the Vezina. But the TML are a team built around the superstar forwards and if they still need the goalie to carry them to wins then frankly what is the point of having these superstars on the roster.

Who's looking for an elite goalie? League average would be ok. A healthy Campbell is more than fine.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
If you were to ask me today, who would you have start a Game 7 for your team? Freddy or Campbell?

Well I'm going Freddy for experience. As well, Campbell's injury history is troubling, not that Freddy's is stellar, but this recent injury run for Campbell is an unfortunate concern.

But let's consider this specific situation. We fast forward to game 7. It is tied with 30 seconds left in the third. Someone on the opposing team strips Rielly of the puck and goes on a breakaway. OR. Rielly has an ill-advised pinch (sorry to pick on ya Mo) and we have a two-on-one and this time, Brodie's magic stick will not save the day.

Who do you want/trust to make this one huge save? Honestly for me it is Campbell. And I'd love to be able to say it is because I trust his experience. But it really isn't that. I do think he looks more efficient and cleaner in net than Freddy. But really, this comes down to more of Freddy having let me down one too many times.

If the opposing player on the breakaway is smart, he will either shoot high glove side or deke low glove side. The book is out, this player should know not to go blocker side. Or if it is a two-on-one, the team should know to have the player on the right side take the shot. So either Brodie's magic stick misses or the shooter has it the whole way anyway. Shoot it high glove. This shot is going in.

I'd love to see Campbell play more so I can have more of an argument than "the other guy keeps letting me down". So this string of injuries isn't helping. But honestly I still trust Campbell more in this specific situation.

And as an aside, I also trust Campbell to have a stronger mental game after letting in a goal, but that is a whole other animal.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
I really wanted to see more of Campbell. But his injuries are worrisome. Hopefully it’s nothing chronic.

I just don’t have the confidence in Freddy when all the chips are on the table and it’s down to the wire.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Pretty hard to fit Andersen and Hyman under the cap next year.

The rest of the expiring contracts are peanuts, and there aren't many options for clearing cap space.

It could come down to choosing between keeping either Hyman or Andersen, if nothing else is done to clear cap space for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad