Do you believe in Frederik Andersen? Would you re-sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This is the goaltending the Leafs need consistently to win a cup:

n
ot this kind of goaltending:

Korpisalo would be a great target prior to the expansion draft. I thought he might make a good platoon with Campbell, but Campbell seems to have the physical build of a Joffrey Lupul the way he's battling injuries, so he's failed to make himself a viable platoon candidate for now.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You can get out goalied and still win

Exactly! Hockey is a team game and it's never one player who is at fault when you lose. People keep talking about Freddie outplaying the other goalie as if it's a requirement - it's not. It's the team as a whole that needs to outplay the other team. Sometimes it's the goalie who bails out the rest of the team when they're playing poorly and sometimes, it needs to be the rest of the team who bails out the goalie when he's having an off night. Around here though it seems like some people always blame the goalie no matter how badly we get outplayed.

Yes his .904 save percentage will take us a long way in the playoffs

never in my life have i seen such a fragile number one

this is freddy in a nutshell

let the first shot on goal go in
Let the other tesm score in the last minute of a period
Cant stop a beachball on a breakaway
Let at least one soft floater from the blue line go in
Cant make a save in a shootout

Last year his playoff SV% was .936, it's been one of the most bizarre narratives around here over the years that he was to blame for us losing when the truth is, he was spectacular and if the rest of the guys played as well as he did we easily get past CLB.

Usually it takes a SV% of at least .920 to win the cup but not always. STL did it with .913. WSH did it with .916. Freddie's playoff SV% for us has been .915, .896, .922 and .936. So bad one year (we almost won anyway), pretty good another time and last 2 years he was very good and then spectacular. Cant' win with Freddie is complete BS, plain and simple.

It's a team game guys, that's all there is to it.

Cant make a big save at a crucial point in the game

He's actually done this literally hundreds of times over the years.

Freddie's best years might be behind him. Or maybe it's a slump and he'll bounce back and help us win the cup - until last night he's played very well lately after a shaky start (and a shaky start isn't surprising with no training camp etc.).

I was reminded last night of why I almost never even look at GDT's. Every time we give up a goal, people here lose their minds and usually it's Andersen who people are blaming, even when he had almost no chance at all of making the save (like the 2nd and 3rd goals last night). Never change Leaf fans, never change.

Reactions: hamzarocks

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
If you can re-sign him at the right price then sure but for me he's a $3M AAV goaltender and I wouldn't offer him term either.

3m gets you Bernier. You're being a little dramatic there.

5m fav is joint 12th best paid. It's not far off really. He's a middling Goalie.

If he'd take around that again, i'd keep him. Unless some fantastic opportunity comes along. I like Campbell in a 1a 1b scenario, but how often does he keep getting injured?

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

5m fav is joint 12th best paid. It's not far off really. He's a middling Goalie.

If he'd take around that again, i'd keep him. Unless some fantastic opportunity comes along. I like Campbell in a 1a 1b scenario, but how often does he keep getting injured?

That's exactly it. If we can get someone better, great but if he's the best available then that's the way it is.

Some people seem to think we'd be better off playing with an empty net, I'm not one of them.

Reactions: GBLeaf and Buds17

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
Yes his .904 save percentage will take us a long way in the playoffs

never in my life have i seen such a fragile number one

this is freddy in a nutshell

let the first shot on goal go in
Let the other tesm score in the last minute of a period
Cant stop a beachball on a breakaway
Let at least one soft floater from the blue line go in
Cant make a save in a shootout
Cant make a big save at a crucial point in the game

yes he is so bad that the opposing team just hands us all the wins in pity.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

Sorry to burst your bubble but he is a middling goalie. His save % in all situations is about league average for the last 3 years now.

More importantly he's been outgoaltended in the playoffs for at least 5 years running.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Screenshot_20210307-124654_Sheets.jpg

Andersen getting the easiest PK work of the three goalies but still performing by far the worst.

The team defense can help cover for him 5v5 but much harder to do shorthanded.

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I've watched the replays, which goal was bad? He barely had a chance.

The only goal he wasn't to blame was goal #1.

The other 3 were very stoppable, and he not only got beat but got beat clean and easy because he was so poorly positioned.

The needless flop on goal 3 was the worst of the 3. Why on earth he left his feet there is beyond me.

Reactions: stickty111

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
View attachment 404428

Andersen getting the easiest PK work of the three goalies but still performing by far the worst.

The team defense can help cover for him 5v5 but much harder to do shorthanded.

Andy has been hurt twice this season. Campbell has been good when he has had the net but the jury is out on whether he can carry the load.

Sorry, I'll take the safe Andersen to start the playoffs unless Campbell is given a shot to carry the load in the second half of the season. Hutch is a non-starter and shouldn't even be in the conversation.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Korpisalo would be a great target prior to the expansion draft. I thought he might make a good platoon with Campbell, but Campbell seems to have the physical build of a Joffrey Lupul the way he's battling injuries, so he's failed to make himself a viable platoon candidate for now.

I also would have liked the other Columbus goalie ... Elvis Merzlikins. I feel like he is similar to Campbell in that he puts up good numbers when he plays but hasn't had a chance to be a starter. The bonus with Elvis, he would have been exempt from the expansion draft.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Freddy's playoff problem is sort of overblown, but at the same time it isn't. He gives up a Patrick Lalime level stinker or two during every do or die game. And Lalime himself is important to mention - he's 7th all time in playof sv%, but no one will ever remember him as a good playoff goalie because the dude just let in crippling stinkers when it mattered most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42Gt3D5DKyo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE84r0rTKos

Now this one isn't as bad, and is harsh for me to put because he played really well, but worth noting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMHeA7rgyKg

Obviously, he's not THE problem... look at the scoreboard, we scored a 0-1 goals in 3 out of those 4 do or die games. That's the main reason. But you can't look at that and tell me Freddy is the solution either, because he sure as shit isn't. He's basically on the very precipice of the Andy Dalton line of goaltending - being good enough to where you can get away with him being in net as long as the right pieces are around him. But the more and more we improve defensively, the less and less flattering Freddy seems to look.

Last edited:

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I think the frustration with Freddie comes from 4.5 seasons where he's only able to play to the level of the team around him and the history of not being able to single-handedly steal wins in big playoff game situations. It never even occurs to me that in a playoff series, Freddie could get "red hot."

Good way to put it. No team we play will be under the impression or be concerned that if Andersen “gets hot” they’ll be in trouble. It simply doesn’t happen and hasn’t happened, going back to his days in Anaheim.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
That's exactly it. If we can get someone better, great but if he's the best available then that's the way it is.

He has a .906, which is 20th in the league out of goalies who have played at least 10 games. .909 last year.

I'd be surprised if that's the best we can do, and it'll be pretty bad management to hand out a big contract for it.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Andy has been hurt twice this season. Campbell has been good when he has had the net but the jury is out on whether he can carry the load.

Sorry, I'll take the safe Andersen to start the playoffs unless Campbell is given a shot to carry the load in the second half of the season. Hutch is a non-starter and shouldn't even be in the conversation.

What is safe about Fred?

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
What is safe about Fred?

He is the most proven of all our goalies. Risky to change horses going into the playoffs. At the end of the day, I think we can win with Andy if the rest of the team pulls their weight.

If Dubas does not agree then he better be making a change soon.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He is the most proven of all our goalies. Risky to change horses going into the playoffs. At the end of the day, I think we can win with Andy if the rest of the team pulls their weight.

If Dubas does not agree then he better be making a change soon.
don't you have to actually be good to be a safe goalie? Just because Andersen plays often and badly doesn't mean he's safe

Reactions: stickty111

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
don't you have to actually be good to be a safe goalie? Just because Andersen plays often and badly doesn't mean he's safe

I think we should be good if he is just "OK". Hard to watch him blow a couple of goals vs CBJ, but truth be told, those games were winnable if the team put in the same effort they did vs Edmonton last week or Muzzin does not get hurt and Marincin is next up.

HC7

May 2, 2018
If anyone said they believe in Fred and want to re-sign him they're morons.

Goaltending doesn't matter. The system does.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I think the frustration with Freddie comes from 4.5 seasons where he's only able to play to the level of the team around him and the history of not being able to single-handedly steal wins in big playoff game situations. It never even occurs to me that in a playoff series, Freddie could get "red hot."

Freddy's playoff problem is sort of overblown, but at the same time it isn't. He gives up a Patrick Lalime level stinker or two during every do or die game. And Lalime himself is important to mention - he's 7th all time in playof sv%, but no one will ever remember him as a good playoff goalie because the dude just let in crippling stinkers when it mattered most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42Gt3D5DKyo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE84r0rTKos

Now this one isn't as bad, and is harsh for me to put because he played really well, but worth noting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMHeA7rgyKg

Obviously, he's not THE problem... look at the scoreboard, we scored a 0-1 goals in 3 out of those 4 do or die games. That's the main reason. But you can't look at that and tell me Freddy is the solution either, because he sure as shit isn't. He's basically on the very precipice of the Andy Dalton line of goaltending - being good enough to where you can get away with him being in net as long as the right pieces are around him. But the more and more we improve defensively, the less and less flattering Freddy seems to look.

I agree with these. In the regular season, Freddy can have a prolonged stretch of poor play and then have time to make up for it. He doesn't have this luxury in the playoffs. The inability to steal a game + letting in a deflating goal is enough to cost you a series.

Every goalie lets in these goals. But it has happened one too many times with Freddy. Wilson, DeBrusk, Nordstrom, Atkinson, Foudy. Being able to list that many without having won a round is troubling. And the whole team needs to be better for him. But the reality is, if we are going 4 rounds deep, he is going to need to steal a few at least, including some 2-1 or even 1-0 wins.

The Foudy goal was a bit of a last straw for me. Not only was it brutal, but it just deflated the team. You go from needing one last strong push to tie the game to essentially "ok if you are gonna let that in, we might as well go home." Just one too many of these impossible angle flub shots that find a hole in the most critical times possible. It is not so much that he is bad or anything, it is more just time to try something different more than anything.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Another big minus for Freddie is when things start going sideways he isn’t the alpha to say “guys this nonsense stops here, I’m not letting in another and we’re winning.” You see the ground begin to shift and you can see the back breaking goal 5-10 minutes down the road with the gradual erosion of confidence. It leaves the team in a very insecure place and I think is this ultimately one of the big cultural shifts that needs to happen. Again, not talking about last night at all but just all the history we’ve had with this player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad