Do you believe in Frederik Andersen? Would you re-sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2011
Thomas and Hasek were usually the best goalies in the series, Fred wasn't.

The offense was (and is) heavily criticized for that series, but they also generated similar scoring chances to what they did in the regular season with less of a return. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the chance against metrics were better for the Leafs in the playoffs where they also faced a team with less effective scorers than they were in the regular season, so we should expect a better Fred.

Last year was Fred's best playoff performance and it comes with a brutal game 3, a poor GWG in Game 1 and a huge backbreaker in Game 5. Some of those are going to happen, you can write some of it off to luck/bounce, but it's also happened literally every playoff with the Leafs.

Take any one of these as an individual series loss and you can move on, 4 losses in a row - 3 blow elimination games on the back of bad goals - the last 2 coming with absolutely horrific goals in key times, these aren't good patterns.
So because the Leafs highly touted and expensive offence couldn't perform up to standards (or anywhere near it for that matter during the CBJ series) its now up to Andy to cover for them and if he fails its all his fault not on the offence that failed to produce yet again? Scoring chances falls in the same category as xGA both are highly inaccurate stat, that needs a massive change in thw shot quality data in order to be more informative on its own.

Whats this game 5 back breaking goal your even talking about, CBJ scored a grand total of 2 goals against Freddy in game 5, you telling me this offence that needed to proved a statement after the previous playoff woes against Boston and the Babcock firing, gave up after CBJ scored 1 goal in the last game of the series? That is a loser's mentality, if that actually the Leafs way of thinking then they deserved to be eliminated in the 1st round every single year, this a top 5, high powered offence with shoddy defence that only allowed 2 goals in the elimination game yet you are acting like Freddy allowed 6 goals in the 1st period essentially putting the game away.

Also, Freddy allowed 1 goal in 34 shots in game 1, but sure he was the reason for the L not the top 5 offence that couldn't even get 1 after the Leaf's shoddy defence and steady goaltending gave them a near perfect breathing room, YOU KNOW WHATS MORE BACK BREAKING THAN THE GOALS ANDY GAVE UP? ITS WATCHING THE TOP 5 OFFENCE GET WALLED THE WHOLE GAME.

As for the bolded, the Leafs top 5 offence scored 1 goal, yes 1 measly goal by JT in their last 2 , game 7/5 elimination game COMBINED against Boston and CBJ while Andy allowed 5 goals combined for those 2 games, that is a 2.5 GAA, yet here you solely putting the blame on Andy's feet. The offence should be in the hot seat here, moreso than Andy.

Last edited:
Reactions: saltming and banks

LFCTML

Nov 29, 2019
oh boy... Let's give a.901 goalie 5 more years...
I mean... You could literally say the same thing about Carey Price right now. Or you could actually put numbers into context and come up with a reasonable argument as to who would be better. But I haven't seen one yet.

Reactions: NikoEhlers

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
I mean... You could literally say the same thing about Carey Price right now. Or you could actually put numbers into context and come up with a reasonable argument as to who would be better. But I haven't seen one yet.
Carey Price has one of the NHLs worst contracts.. He's 33 and clearly regressing for awhile

Reactions: Not My Tempo
Mar 14, 2011
When you have 3 superstars being paid 10M+ I expect some better performance. I could care less how much better they looked on advanced stats. Those players are there to score goals and to score them precisely in big moments. I understand that their goalie was better but there were not 1 but 3 of the highest paid players in the league who could not do what they got paid to do in 2 separate games. I dont care if they put prime Brodeur there, they have to score!

I still have no idea how the goalie is getting blamed. He and the defense kept the game close. What did the offense do? F*** All!
I dont get why fans here gives so much pass to the offence while putting the whole blame on Andy, I mean I dont see TBL and BOS fans just giving the opposing goalie full credit when their offence lays an egg for an entire series.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I dont get why fans here gives so much pass to the offence while putting the whole blame on Andy, I mean I dont see TBL and BOS fans just giving the opposing goalie full credit when their offence lays an egg for an entire series.

Because when it's all said and done, it's far easier for some to just pin a win or a loss on the two goalies on the ice.

Or luck.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021

Because Boston and Tampa don't have their starters be the 2nd or 3rd best goalie in every single playoff series for years. If they did, you'd see the same criticism.

LFCTML

Nov 29, 2019
Carey Price has one of the NHLs worst contracts.. He's 33 and clearly regressing for awhile

Yes, and?
I never said anything about contract or regression, but I'd agree with you on both.
If you think Price isn't currently a top 15 goalie in the league though... that tells me everything I need to know.

My point is that, to base an argument off of a single-stat, in a small sample size, is pretty out of touch.
For reference, in our division the only starters with a better save percentage than Freddy are Markstrom and Hellebuyck. The others, aside from Price, are well below .900. It's an insane year, and an incredibly offensive division. And the run and gun play is going to hurt goalies numbers on each team. Freddy has been excellent for the majority of the season. He's not 10-3 for no reason.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Yes, and?
I never said anything about contract or regression, but I'd agree with you on both.
If you think Price isn't currently a top 15 goalie in the league though... that tells me everything I need to know.

My point is that, to base an argument off of a single-stat, in a small sample size, is pretty out of touch.
For reference, in our division the only starters with a better save percentage than Freddy are Markstrom and Hellebuyck. The others, aside from Price, are well below .900. It's an insane year, and an incredibly offensive division. And the run and gun play is going to hurt goalies numbers on each team. Freddy has been excellent for the majority of the season. He's not 10-3 for no reason.

I'd put him top 15, but most still have him top 5 it seems. That contract is horrible though. Never pay that money to any goalie.

My issue with Andersen is his play has been slipping for 2 years. It's not just about this year and the division.

Reactions: stickty111

LFCTML

Nov 29, 2019
Because when it's all said and done, it's far easier for some to just pin a win or a loss on the two goalies on the ice.

Or luck.
It's baffling man. The people defending him aren't even saying anything outrageous. No one is calling him a Vezina candidate. But he's a very solid NHL starter, and the only one we have, playing behind a very offensive-minded team.
Part of me wishes Dubas would be stupid enough to let him walk (though I don't think for a second that he would), just so the fans can see how much he did for us.. when we're bleeding goals and scrambling for a starter.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
It's baffling man. The people defending him aren't even saying anything outrageous. No one is calling him a Vezina candidate. But he's a very solid NHL starter, and the only one we have, playing behind a very offensive-minded team.
Part of me wishes Dubas would be stupid enough to let him walk (though I don't think for a second that he would), just so the fans can see how much he did for us.. when we're bleeding goals and scrambling for a starter.

If he wants even 5 million again Dubas has to let him walk,. People whine about cap hits to early 20's superstars. They should not want Freddy getting any raise the way he's played.
And FYI, there are better goalies out there you can get, and even cheaper than Freddy.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
If he wants even 5 million again Dubas has to let him walk,. People whine about cap hits to early 20's superstars. They should not want Freddy getting any raise the way he's played.
And FYI, there are better goalies out there you can get, and even cheaper than Freddy.

He got his current contract based on his performance in Anaheim where he was a split starter.

Why the hell would he now get less since he's established himself as a workhorse starter with good numbers and an excellent win-loss record?

He's getting paid regardless of whether it's with the Leafs.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

The only thing baffling is why some people can't accept that a goalie with a below average save percentage is a below average goalie.

Mar 14, 2011
Because Boston and Tampa don't have their starters be the 2nd or 3rd best goalie in every single playoff series for years. If they did, you'd see the same criticism.
When the Leafs top 5 offence only scores 1 goal in their last 2 game 7/5 elimination COMBINED against BOS and CBJ and when a former backup goalie puts up a sv % against these high powered team that will put even Hasek and Tim Thomas to shame, yea things might look that way. You are literally asking Andy to pitch a shutout just so the team could win or go to OT, no, the main difference here is their star forwards actually performed like star forwards come playoff time, outside of Matthews the Leafs big 4 looked like pedestrians for the last 2 playoff series.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
He got his current contract based on his performance in Anaheim where he was a split starter.

Why the hell would he now get less since he's established himself as a workhorse starter with good numbers and an excellent win-loss record?

He's getting paid regardless of whether it's with the Leafs.

Now you're going back so far ago. The market has changed. THe top goalies last offseason got 5 and 6 milion per. Both are better than Freddy.
How much do you honestly think he's worth? His numbers are bad and he's won nothing. He's looking at the Hotby contract right now.

LFCTML

Nov 29, 2019
The only thing baffling is why some people can't accept that a goalie with a below average save percentage is a below average goalie.
Do you really view goalies in isolation? You don't think team play has any impact on their numbers?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Do you really view goalies in isolation? You don't think team play has any impact on their numbers?

Do you really believe the leafs are some unique team that makes all their goalies have worse save percentages?

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Andersen is a known slow starter. He had no pre season this season and has been showing flashes of late to coming into his own.

People really need to lay off the guy and let him play his game. As early as tonight you all may come to realize how good this guy really is. I hope I am wrong and Hutch plays a hell of a game tonight. But leave Andersen alone.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Andersen is a known slow starter. He had no pre season this season and has been showing flashes of late to coming into his own.

People really need to lay off the guy and let him play his game. As early as tonight you all may come to realize how good this guy really is. I hope I am wrong and Hutch plays a hell of a game tonight. But leave Andersen alone.

He's been bad for 2 years. And really, we can't excuse yearly "slow starts" which cost the team. The season is 25% done already

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Do people really think Freddy will get some Bobrovsky contract from a team? LOL

LFCTML

Nov 29, 2019
Do you really believe the leafs are some unique team that makes all their goalies have worse save percentages?
Not unique, no lol.
But yes - team play impacts goalie save percentages. And ours tends to impact them negatively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad