Do you believe in Frederik Andersen? Would you re-sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
2018 game 7

2019 game 7

2020 game 5

Hellll no i would not resign him at this point. If he goes somewhere else we might get to play him in a game 7.

SO Freddy puts up a shutout and 2 wins with a 1.84 GAA and a .936 SAV % and he's the reason the Leafs didn't beat CBJ? GET A CLUE

How can anyone be this clueless??

EDIT:
Freddy vs BOS (2018-2019) 3 W 2.75 GAA .922 SAV%

Reactions: NikoEhlers

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
A larger sample size over multiple seasons might be more useful if teams' rosters never changed / players didn't age / coaches replaced etc.

Unfortunately for you they do so treating team-defence as a unchanging constant across 3+ years with the only variable changing being the goaltender's performance, is well, wildly wrong...

The opposite is more likely true where the goaltender's performance is steadier and more consistent across the sample and the play of the roster in front of him subject to greater volatility.

Hey if you want your argument to be "2 leafs goalies showed a quick bump after leaving that quickly fizzled (while other leafs goalies didn't) so that proves that the leafs hurt goalies' save percentages" that's fine.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Hey if you want your argument to be "2 leafs goalies showed a quick bump after leaving that quickly fizzled (while other leafs goalies didn't) so that proves that the leafs hurt goalies' save percentages" that's fine.
This feels like a weird argument for Fred given the teams improved defensively and his stats have regressed

Do people really think we were a better defensive team prior to Keefe?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
If we don't start Hutch, I can save the team about 750,000 in cap space. I will volunteer to put the pads on and sit on the bench. Just don't put me in. I would just puke, Keefe could then put the zamboni guy in.

Reactions: authentic

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
PLAYOFFS:
2020 vs CBJ 2 wins, 1 shutout, 1.84 GAA, .936 SAV%
2019 vs BOS 3 wins, 2.75 GAA, .922 SAV %

You dont have a clue of what you are talking about.

Series came down to a 1 game winner take all. Which goalie played better in game 5.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
SO Freddy puts up a shutout and 2 wins with a 1.84 GAA and a .936 SAV % and he's the reason the Leafs didn't beat CBJ? GET A CLUE

How can anyone be this clueless??

EDIT:
Freddy vs BOS (2018-2019) 3 W 2.75 GAA .922 SAV%

Colombus was the lowest scoring team out of the 24 that went to the bubble. I'm not at all surprised how "clueless" you are, looking at the numbers with no context.

When the series was on the line Fred gave up an awful goal to sink his team, like he always does.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
This feels like a weird argument for Fred given the teams improved defensively and his stats have regressed

Do people really think we were a better defensive team prior to Keefe?
They defend very differently i would imagine. Babcock seemed to allow more shots but often from the outside while Keefe teams allow less shots but a higher percentage of really high danger shots(look how many breakaways/2 on 1s the leafs give up per game because of how active the defenders pinch in Keefe's system). Could be that Andy plays better as a volume stopper rather a high danger stopper.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
They defend very differently i would imagine. Babcock seemed to allow more shots but often from the outside while Keefe teams allow less shots but a higher percentage of really high danger shots(look how many breakaways/2 on 1s the leafs give up per game because of how active the defenders pinch in Keefe's system). Could be that Andy plays better as a volume stopper rather a high danger stopper.
I'd say that's likely recency bias and not well supported by the data.

I don't have access at the minute, but I'm also pretty sure Andy was much more effective as a high danger goalie than routine shots - but I'm less confident with that statement than saying the HDCA and SCA have gone down under Keefe

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I'd say that's likely recency bias and not well supported by the data
Unfortunately I haven't seen data that can quantify certain elements. I wouldnt say it is recency bias at all as they are system related differences between the coaches.

For example as I said, Keefe teams have very very active defenders. This leads to teams getting more odd man rushes and/or breakaways (pretty much a guarantee with this style of system). I haven't found a stat to back this up, if you can point me in that direction. It is pretty obvious though and I imagine you will see quite a few odd man rushes in the next game.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Unfortunately I haven't seen data that can quantify certain elements. I wouldnt say it is recency bias at all as they are system related differences between the coaches.

For example as I said, Keefe teams have very very active defenders. This leads to teams getting more odd man rushes and/or breakaways. I haven't found a stat to back this up, if you can point me in that direction. It is pretty obvious though and I imagine you will see quite a few odd man rushes in the next game.
Natural statstrick tracks high danger chances and scoring chances. Closest I can think of.

The reputation with those Babcock teams was also their loose style and how he couldn't get them to play outside of their pond hockey ways and commit to defensive hockey

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Natural statstrick tracks high danger chances and scoring chances. Closest I can think of.

The reputation with those Babcock teams was also their loose style and how he couldn't get them to play outside of their pond hockey ways and commit to defensive hockey
Ya those don't really properly distinguish high danger odd man rush chances vs high danger during the cycle play etc. which is an issue. Still useful stats but they don't accurate represent what I'm talking about in this context.

I would say that was very much what Babcock was trying to go against and was a function of the roster rather than the system he implemented.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Ya those don't really properly distinguish high danger odd man rush chances vs high danger during the cycle play etc. which is an issue. Still useful stats but they don't accurate represent what I'm talking about in this context.

I would say that was very much what Babcock was trying to go against and was a function of the roster rather than the system he implemented.
It's a large issue of what Babs was fired for though.

And you're right, it doesn't track things like a breakaway or 2on1, but those will have their own imperfections and issues as well. I'd rather face a 2on1 from a tired 4th line than a onetimer in the slot by Ovi/Stamkos for example

Reactions: stickty111

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
For example as I said, Keefe teams have very very active defenders. This leads to teams getting more odd man rushes and/or breakaways (pretty much a guarantee with this style of system). I haven't found a stat to back this up, .

You won't find a stat to back it up because it's obviously untrue, as keefe's leafs give up far, far fewer odd man rushes and far fewer prolonged defensive zone scrambles ending in breakdowns.

Fred's stats have been bad since halfway through the 18-19 season, regardless of who was coaching.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
You won't find a stat to back it up because it's obviously untrue, as keefe's leafs give up far, far fewer odd man rushes and far fewer prolonged defensive zone scrambles ending in breakdowns.

Fred's stats have been bad since halfway through the 18-19 season, regardless of who was coaching.
I am quite sure you are just making that statement up...

I think there is a case to say he has been overworked the last few years and that is why some of his numbers may be slipping a bit too.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

If that was true than McBackup must have been the greatest goalie of all time.

Reactions: stickty111 and zeke

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
According to hockeybuzz (yeah, I know) the Leafs are going to go hard after Jordan Binnington after the season....

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
According to hockeybuzz (yeah, I know) the Leafs are going to go hard after Jordan Binnington after the season....
Depends on his ask. I don't think any goalie is worth giving more than 5 or 6 million per to

Reactions: nofehr

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Depends on his ask. I don't think any goalie is worth giving more than 5 or 6 million per to

I'm ok with 6*6 for binnington. 7m if it's a Vasilevskiy type goalie. Over 7m right now is too risky and starts to chip away from the depth of your roster.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
I'm ok with 6*6 for binnington. 7m if it's a Vasilevskiy type goalie. Over 7m right now is too risky and starts to chip away from the depth of your roster.
It's just risky, So many of these big deals to goalies are busts. And boy, he looked terrible last year. There are some damn good goalies making 2-3 million per.

Reactions: WildWolfdog

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

I'd hope for there to be interest. I just don't know that the team will be looking to spend more on an incoming goalie than what Andersen makes now.

Reactions: nofehr

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Colombus was the lowest scoring team out of the 24 that went to the bubble. I'm not at all surprised how "clueless" you are, looking at the numbers with no context.

When the series was on the line Fred gave up an awful goal to sink his team, like he always does.

do you also subtract goals from Gretzky's totals because he lit up last place teams with SUB-NHL goalies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->