Do you believe Conor Timmins will be a top-4 defenceman?

Do you believe Conor Timmins will be a top-4 defenceman?

• Total voters

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
IMO tonight was his worst game in the NHL. He struggled quite a bit throughout the game and then lost the puck twice late in the 3rd which led to the Wild missing an empty net and almost tying the game.

Bednar said that he needs more from him (and we all know what that means).

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Olympic gold medalist and World Cup of hockey champion?

Picked to play on Team Canada in best on best competitions at a time when Pronger Blake and Neidermeyer were in their primes?

Timmins in his prime doesn't compare to Brewer.

tenor.gif

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yeah, I don't necessarily think he needs more seasoning at lower levels, but his development is clearly just a little behind where it might have been without those concussions. He just missed too much time.

He's reading plays in the D zone just a little too late, but recovering just enough to prevent them from getting him in too much trouble.

I still think he can be a solid two way defenseman in the NHL, but I'm not sure it will be in Colorado. We'll see how it plays out, but with Helleson as a righty playing well, another righty in Barron being drafted and playing fairly well at the WJC, and the addition of Toews to the top 4, it feels like the writing is on the wall for Timmins to be used as trade bait to address an area of need.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I don't see Timmins having much trade value right now, so it seems strange to right him off. I personally think he has been fine and he has made a number of strong, subtle plays in the defensive zone. The problem arises when you look at the other younger defensemen on the team in Makar, Girard, and Byam and then compare them to Timmins.

I think it is far more likely that Barron and/or Helleson end up being traded in the near term, simply because they will have more value. Timmins will have to remain healthy for some time to assuage fears from other GMs.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I don't see Timmins having much trade value right now, so it seems strange to right him off. I personally think he has been fine and he has made a number of strong, subtle plays in the defensive zone. The problem arises when you look at the other younger defensemen on the team in Makar, Girard, and Byam and then compare them to Timmins.

I think it is far more likely that Barron and/or Helleson end up being traded in the near term, simply because they will have more value. Timmins will have to remain healthy for some time to assuage fears from other GMs.

I don’t see that happening. And I don’t agree about his value. I think Timmins being the most (after Byram) pro ready D gives him value. On a lot of teams he could be a top 4 D with ups and downs that come with a rookie season. There’s no shame if a rookie isn’t cracking the top 4 on the Avs.

Stylistically, Barron is the better fit. I don’t see them trading him. Timmins could have a nice career with a lot of teams in the league. The Avs would do right for him by trading him a some point soon (before next season).

I think part of the problem with trades at this point is it’s too early in the season. I wouldn’t put too much emphasis on HF’s trade value for players. Once people realize it’s virtually impossible to trade for young D like Makar, Byram, Heiskanen, etc, they’ll start to realize Timmins is a good get. And I think real GMs probably already know this.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

AKA the Avalanche fan base is spoiled. Timmins looks like a normal rookie dman. The problem is we saw what those other guys did as rookie dman so in comparison Timmins looks "bad". Also, I want no part in trading Helleson. Just too much there to like to trade him away.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Timmins probably has about as much trade value as any prospect, outside Byram and Barron. Probably close to Kaut because young defenseman are valued so much more than middle six forward types. Probably more than Bowers. Might have a bit less than Helleson but it's hard to tell, and probably dependent on team needs.

It's not an issue of comparing Timmins to Makar, Bryam, and Girard. It's that he's straddling the fence of whether he should get his seasoning in the NHL or the AHL right now. The AHL season just started two days ago though, and the Avs have three key guys missing from their blueline right now, so he should be up with the big club playing anyway.

They'll need Barron and Helleson's cheap three year ELC's. I'd be surprised if they traded them before Timmins. Even though Timmins has the potential to be the best of the three. I think Barron might end up with that nod though. I'd be really surprised if they traded him.

LTC Pain

Jul 1, 2006
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm going to put this out there that I don't think Timmins' skating is all that bad. He's whiffed with the puck a few times and had a couple of questionable penalties, but overall not that bad. I can see Timmins has a high IQ with some of the things he does (or tries to do) with the puck. Positioning has been good, excellent passer, and I like that he's not getting pushed around. It doesn't seem that the speed of the game is more than Timmins can handle or adjust to. Keep coaching him through mistakes and giving him ice time!

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
Clearly Timmins is still at the very beginning of his NHL career, I have no doubt that he will calm down once he gets more confident and when he gets more experienced. He just needs to adapt to the NHL speed and little time reaction, but if given the chance he will become a NHLer for sure, be patient.

He won’t be a Malar or even a Byram but he could become a cheap 6D with ability to play low end top4 D when needed.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
He looked terrible on the PP but it's his first game there so I'm gonna give him a pass. First pp unit was awful too. I still like his game, I don't see a liability, just not a game changer.

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
What I see is a kid who makes two nice plays and follows it with a whoa, that was close stinker. I also think that is consistent with his age/experience. The coach likes him and I don't see why he won't trend up with more usage. He is playing like a third pairing guy but with upside to be more than that. BB and CM are complete exceptions to the normal arc of young d-men. CT is more mortal that's all.

Reactions: Mr Zappalanche

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
He looked terrible on the PP but it's his first game there so I'm gonna give him a pass. First pp unit was awful too. I still like his game, I don't see a liability, just not a game changer.

You must've blinked every single time he turned the puck over for no reason last night

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
I like his IQ and passing ability, but I don't think the skating is quite there. It's not horrible or anything, but it definitely does limit him.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I think he’ll be fine. He’s hasn’t looked great but he hasn’t looked terrible either so far. I think a big part of why people are a bit down on him is because we got spoiled with G, Makar and Byram stepping right in at a young age and looking like high end D-men. People forget that he’s 22 with a grand total of 14 games under his belt and that he lost a shit ton of development time due to concussions.

I don’t know if he’s going to turn into a top 4 d-man or not but he should at least be a solid #5 that can slot in on the middle pairing when needed.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
Exactly. Also remember the WJC some years ago, he was dominating, he still possess the skills to be an NHLer, and at least he won’t cost too much

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
At a minimum, Timmins is the Tyson Jost of defense. Not spectacular and will get hated on a bit due to not meeting our overly high expectations, but still a NHL player.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
He’s a normal rookie D. He makes some good plays and some bad plays.

The speed of the game against Vegas was a bit too much for him, but now that he’s going back to a bottom pair role I think he’ll be fine. Playing as the 7D this season should be a good role for him. He can get into some games when injuries occur and continue to work on his game when the D core is healthy.

Reactions: LTC Pain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad