Do you believe Conor Timmins will be a top-4 defenceman?

Do you believe Conor Timmins will be a top-4 defenceman?

• Total voters

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
He'll always be limited by his skating and he won't be able to play the game that he wants to play at the NHL level because of that.

But he has the IQ and talent to reinvent himself and still be useful in the NHL (similar to what Graves is currently trying to do).

Timmins is 22 with and lost a bunch of development time, you act like his skating isn't going to get any better. He's still very much a rookie and IMO, should be consider similar to where Byram is at his developmental phase. Still lots of room to grow with a lot less upside than Byram, but we should be expecting mistakes from Timmins as he learns what he can and cannot do.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I am convinced that he is at least a NHL dman if he stays healthy. His skating isn't that bad and his ability to process the game is perfect for the modern day NHL. He doesn't lack size either.

Reactions: LTC Pain

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
I want him to succeed, but I can't tell what he is supposed to be good at still. Rooting for the kid, not optimistic yet. Not even seeing flashes this season is alarming me.

Reactions: AvsGuy

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
His skating isn’t his strong suit, but I think he makes it work. He’s not nearly as good in transition as Byram/Makar/Girard/Toews, but he finds other ways to make the plays.

His gift is with his hockey IQ. He’s so good at making quick plays inside his own d zone. The Avs should use him on the PK over Graves.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think he’s been ok. He seems to panic a little bit, but that’s expected from a young defenceman. Hopefully he’ll settle in with more steady playing time.

There’s top-4 upside to his game, but I doubt it happens in Colorado given the D they already have on the roster. We’ll see if he can force his way into more minutes if Toews and EJ remain out of the lineup. I was surprised he only played 12:27 against Minni considering all the injuries.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
His decision making has been good overall and that is his make or break in the NHL. He maintains that, he's going to stick and likely become a top 4 level guy. The skating issues are there, but his game isn't about skating, it is about his brain. If he was 5'10" I would say there isn't a chance that he could make it work in the NHL, but he's 6'2" and will fill out to 200. He doesn't need to be the greatest skater to make it work, he just needs to make consistently good decisions with the puck and be sound positionally.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If he was 5'10" I would say there isn't a chance that he could make it work in the NHL

You said the same thing about Ty Smith and look at him now :sarcasm:

Seriously though I disagree that his game isn't about skating, it kinda is actually and it's a problem. He's always looking to carry the puck and he has to change his game.

I could eventually see him in the top 4 on the same team that would have Kerfoot in the top 6 (ie: bottom team).

Reactions: MaKarter

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
You said the same thing about Ty Smith and look at him now :sarcasm:

Seriously though I disagree that his game isn't about skating, it kinda is actually and it's a problem. He's always looking to carry the puck. He has to change his game.

I could eventually see him in the top 4 on the same team that would have Kerfoot in the top 6 (ie: bottom team).

Smith has played well so far and I'm curious how it goes as that team develops, but I've never said Smith was a bad skater. He's a good skater that is average/above average at the NHL level when adjusted for size. The production and good at everything, great at nothing is where my concern lies for him. Right now he is keyed in on the prime offensive minutes for New Jersey on a team that is lacking overall. That can inflate stats sometimes. You don't even have to leave that same team... Will Butcher popped onto the scene with some huge numbers the first part of his rookie season and ended up with 44 overall that year. He's been in decline ever since. Now Smith is a lot better than Butcher ever was and he's going to be a good defensemen, it is just about levels.

Carrying the puck doesn't mean he relies on skating. Rantanen's game has a lot of carrying the puck in it, and he's a bad skater. Timmins isn't about skating away and creating space that way, his hands are how he creates space with the puck and he looks fine in that area. The game is a bit fast for him right now, and he isn't strong enough yet... but what really matters in his game isn't showing a large flaw at this point. It could pop in as teams get tape and target him in different ways, but right now I don't see a large concern.

Reactions: PAZ

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I don’t know about top-4 in the future. What I can say is that for a cup team he is not good enough for a top-6, now.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Smith has played well so far and I'm curious how it goes as that team develops, but I've never said Smith was a bad skater. He's a good skater that is average/above average at the NHL level when adjusted for size. The production and good at everything, great at nothing is where my concern lies for him. Right now he is keyed in on the prime offensive minutes for New Jersey on a team that is lacking overall. That can inflate stats sometimes. You don't even have to leave that same team... Will Butcher popped onto the scene with some huge numbers the first part of his rookie season and ended up with 44 overall that year. He's been in decline ever since. Now Smith is a lot better than Butcher ever was and he's going to be a good defensemen, it is just about levels.

Carrying the puck doesn't mean he relies on skating. Rantanen's game has a lot of carrying the puck in it, and he's a bad skater. Timmins isn't about skating away and creating space that way, his hands are how he creates space with the puck and he looks fine in that area. The game is a bit fast for him right now, and he isn't strong enough yet... but what really matters in his game isn't showing a large flaw at this point. It could pop in as teams get tape and target him in different ways, but right now I don't see a large concern.

They're also sheltering the living hell outta Smith. Don't know if they can do that indefinitely, but who knows.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Anyway, I've liked Timmins for the most part. There have been a few big mistakes but overall he's been solid, if unspectacular. Can carry the puck and gets it out of danger effectively, which is all you can ask. Hopefully the offensive side of his game develops further and he gets his name on the scoresheet with a little more regularity.

I still think the Avs are grooming him for a trade, but either way I've really liked his game thus far.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Anyway, I've liked Timmins for the most part. There have been a few big mistakes but overall he's been solid, if unspectacular. Can carry the puck and gets it out of danger effectively, which is all you can ask. Hopefully the offensive side of his game develops further and he gets his name on the scoresheet with a little more regularity.

I still think the Avs are grooming him for a trade, but either way I've really liked his game thus far.

I'm not sure if they are grooming him for a trade, but he's probably the most likely to be traded out of the young defensemen. With G, Makar, Toews, and Byram around... Timmins is a luxury piece that has names in the pipeline that could supplant his role. With the needs of the team and injuries shining a light, he's probably as available as he has ever been.

atreyuavenged

Nov 28, 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba
He's got size and he's right handed. Always a spot for those guys. He won't be able to develop a nasty streak cuz the guy is a few hits away from being done for good. Hope he succeeds for us.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
He won’t be a top 4 on the avs team when the roster is healthy but I could see him rounding his game into a 4/5 role on a good chunk of nhl teams. I think he has more offensive upside than he’s shown so far. He needs some confidence to play his brand of hockey and right now he looks really shaky in his own end.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
His decision making has been good overall and that is his make or break in the NHL. He maintains that, he's going to stick and likely become a top 4 level guy. The skating issues are there, but his game isn't about skating, it is about his brain. If he was 5'10" I would say there isn't a chance that he could make it work in the NHL, but he's 6'2" and will fill out to 200. He doesn't need to be the greatest skater to make it work, he just needs to make consistently good decisions with the puck and be sound positionally.

Yup. His agility is fine, doesn't have a big problem with skating backwards either. Not everyone has to be a burner like Makar.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I don't quite see it honestly

I do think he's some of our best quality trade fodder if that means anything

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
There still some things in his game that look shaky(but I mean he’s like 15 games into his NHL career) but I’m always impressed with his puck movement and decision making with the puck is so good. With time the other stuff should come around a bit, but he has one of the harder parts locked down it seems which is a great sign.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad