Do you believe Conor Timmins will be a top-4 defenceman?

Do you believe Conor Timmins will be a top-4 defenceman?

• Total voters

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I have yet to see much evidence the Avs are willing to draft and develop anything other than top 4 picks to add to their D core. It’s no accident they haven’t drafted a first round D other than those two since Siemens and Shattenkirk. Timmins needs to go to another org to get a legit shot to become a top 4 D.

He made the team out of camp last season. I think he'll get his shot.

Reactions: Barklez

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He made the team out of camp last season. I think he'll get his shot.
That was largely for show. What he needs is a real callup.

Look, I’m sure he will get some games but there’s several hurdles to climb to a) get regular callups, b) stick on the team and c) become a top 4 D.

Ryan Clark keeps getting quotes how they see Graves’ path as something Timmins should look at. That’s not a good sign.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Look, I’m sure he will get some games but there’s several hurdles to climb to a) get regular callups, b) stick on the team and c) become a top 4 D.

Ryan Clark keeps getting quotes how they see Graves’ path as something Timmins should look at. That’s not a good sign.

Timmins forced his way on to the roster out of camp. It wasn’t just for show, they liked what he brought to the table.

I’ll maintain that he would of stuck with the team had it not been for the Avs having so many young players on defence this season.

If Timmins stayed up, the Avs would have iced essentially three rookie defenceman in Makar/Graves/Timmins, and a 21-year old Sam Girard. That’s just way too much inexperience on defence.

I think both Byram and Timmins are close to NHL ready, but neither would be hurt by a year in the AHL (I know that’s not a possibility for Byram).

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I have yet to see much evidence the Avs are willing to draft and develop anything other than top 4 picks to add to their D core. It’s no accident they haven’t drafted a first round D other than those two since Siemens and Shattenkirk. Timmins needs to go to another org to get a legit shot to become a top 4 D.
This is just ridiculous.

It was his first pro season last year, and he yet again couldn't stay healthy. Who cares what organization he plays for if he can't stay healthy.

Reactions: BrickNHL

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
@tigervixxxen Playing reliable top 3 minutes in the AHL than playing on/off as a 7th defender in the NHL as a rookie is called bad development?
084.png

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Right, how many years of examples need to keep piling up?

Playing reliable top 3 minutes in the AHL than playing on/off as a 7th defender in the NHL as a rookie is called bad development?

A player needs a callup to be in realistic consideration for the roster the next year. Graves got 26 games, that’s an appropriate process that leads to making the team. No callups, no bueno...

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

A player needs a callup to be in realistic consideration for the roster the next year. Graves got 26 games, that’s an appropriate process that leads to making the team. No callups, no bueno...
He was also coming off a year of recovering from a serious concussion. I think getting his feet back under him was more important than getting NHL time this year. He had a lot of rust to shake off. Now if he doesn't get any NHL time at all next year, than I think more questions are definitely needed.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

A prospect doesn’t necessarily have to be called up the previous year to have a chance at making the team.

Timmins wasn’t called up because they didn’t want to yank him around all season. After he was sent down I’m sure the Avs brass decided to keep him down for the season.

And I don’t think it puts his future in doubt if he doesn’t make the Avs next year. He’s only 21, another year in the AHL wouldn’t be a bad thing.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
He's got the ability to be a top pairing guy. Not a #1 but a great compliment to a guy like that. Think riding shotgun to someone like Morgan Rielly. That's his talent. As always his limits lie in his health

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

How many players that the Avalanche drafted were actually good enough to even warrant a call up?

The Avs haven't been good at drafting, there is no denying that but young-ish prospects/players leave this organization all the time and do **** all elsewhere.

And no, a player doesn't need a call-up to be in realistic consideration for the roster the following year. He just has to perform - period. If he's not head-and-shoulders above the defensemen already on the roster, why should a spot be given to him in training camp and at the start of the season?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This is my opinion as well, he is a 21 year old rookie coming off an entire season of missing games.
And I don’t think it puts his future in doubt if he doesn’t make the Avs next year. He’s only 21, another year in the AHL wouldn’t be a bad thing.
I will fully agree with you tigre if he doesn't get any prolong looks with the Avs if he's also healthy during that time-frame too. The problem is that Graves is 25 years old, meaning he is four years older during a very critical time of development. Plus, Graves was on one his last legs (or his last one) in either being a full-time NHLer or AHLer and I don't think we've come to that point of time with Timmins...yet. You're entitled to your opinion and you've been quite consistent with your view, but I also think you give up on players too early as well. There is a chance that Conor never makes the NHL due to the injury history that unfortunately has plagued his career up to now. However, I have faith in his talent that he will become an NHL player and a long one at that if he's able to handle something as unpredictable as injuries are.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

This was an awfully weird season though. The Avs like to make these callups in the second half of the season and the second half of the season was abruptly ended.

Take Mikko for example. Like Timmins, he played a few games to begin his rookie year but was sent down. Then was called up on March 20th. Kaut's another example. He was called up Feb 19. Every year Siemens was called up it was either late February or April.

Timmins easily could have been one of the first callups on defense, and I wouldn't be surprised if the plan was to give him another look before the season ended. For all the Avs bad luck with injuries this year to forwards, they were actually relatively lucky on defense.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Right.... Because history shows an ever growing list of Avs players that made it big in the NHL when they got traded cause the Avs didn't give them a fair shake.

Chris Bigras
Nicholas Meloche
Kyle Wood
Duncan Siemens

Just an ever growing list of todays best Dmen around the league :laugh: Might as well ad Timmins to that group yup.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I haven't read any of the quotes, so I'm not sure what the context is. Are they specifically referring to Graves' development when he was part of the Avs' organization, or the overall arc? Because really, Graves didn't spend a whole lot of time as a minor leaguer after the trade.

Also, the organization has already invested a ton of time and money into Timmins while he spent well over a year recuperating from a concussion, I can't imagine they're going to treat him like yesterday's news after all that.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Right.... Because history shows an ever growing list of Avs players that made it big in the NHL when they got traded cause the Avs didn't give them a fair shake.

Chris Bigras
Nicholas Meloche
Kyle Wood
Duncan Siemens

Just an ever growing list of todays best Dmen around the league :laugh: Might as well ad Timmins to that group yup.
What the hell happened to Kyle Wood? I remember this place was lit up when we traded him.

Anders Cain

Formerly JordoMack
Jul 7, 2018
Nova Scotia
What the hell happened to Kyle Wood? I remember this place was lit up when we traded him.

Oh that draft year.......

2014 Entry231Conner BleackleyCRed Deer Rebels [WHL]
2014 Entry843Kyle WoodDNorth Bay Battalion [OHL]
2014 Entry934Nick MagyarRKitchener Rangers [OHL]
2014 Entry1144Alexis PepinLGatineau Olympiques [QMJHL]
2014 Entry1445Anton LindholmDSkelleftea (Sweden Jrs.)6605516
2014 Entry1746Maximilian PajpachGSlovakia U18 (Slovakia Jrs.)
2014 Entry2047Julien NantelLRouyn-Noranda Huskies [QMJHL]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

When you had 7 selections (and a first rounder) and Anton Lindholm is the "best" of the group... sigh. lol

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
It's worth noting that Timmins finished with 0.68 points/game in the AHL, which puts him right on par with guys like Rasmus Sandin (0.71), Evan Bouchard (0.67), and Timothy Liljegren (0.75)

He's right on schedule as far as I'm concerned.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
It's worth noting that Timmins finished with 0.68 points/game in the AHL, which puts him right on par with guys like Rasmus Sandin (0.71), Evan Bouchard (0.67), and Timothy Liljegren (0.75)

He’s also going to join a solid group on the Avs, and won’t get overused. It’s the perfect situation

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009

Great comparisons. Really look forward to getting him a chance hopefully some extended time next season if not permanently with the team...

Reactions: Richard88

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
He’s also going to join a solid group on the Avs, and won’t get overused. It’s the perfect situation

Exactly, I think he gets some sheltered minutes when he joins the Avs next year, probably some valuable time with a veteran like Cole.

Timmins was actually a lot better than people remember in his 2 games with the Avs. He definitely needed to adjust to the speed, but he was quite effective.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I voted no, only because I have some major concern for his health. I feel at best he’s Ryan Murray (including health) and at worst he goes the Bigras route. Now Murray is a solid dman, but if his injuries play out how I think they will it’ll be hard to count on him as a top 4 dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad