Do you believe Conor Timmins will be a top-4 defenceman?

Do you believe Conor Timmins will be a top-4 defenceman?

• Total voters

Anders Cain

Formerly JordoMack
Jul 7, 2018
Nova Scotia
Exactly, I think he gets some sheltered minutes when he joins the Avs next year, probably some valuable time with a veteran like Cole.

Timmins was actually a lot better than people remember in his 2 games with the Avs. He definitely needed to adjust to the speed, but he was quite effective.
I do agree, I didn't mind Timmins in his 2 games.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Exactly, I think he gets some sheltered minutes when he joins the Avs next year, probably some valuable time with a veteran like Cole.

Timmins was actually a lot better than people remember in his 2 games with the Avs. He definitely needed to adjust to the speed, but he was quite effective.
Due to Byram not being allowed to play in the AHL I think the likeliest scenario is that we start the season with Byram-Cole on the bottom pairing, with Timmins starting the season in the AHL and only getting a callup if/when there's an injury, or at least once Byram has established himself.

Graves -- Makar
Girard --- Johnson
Byram --- Cole
(7D and Timmins first AHL callup)

That said, if Timmins does well in some playoff games this season and/or seriously impresses in camp I could see the temptation in moving Graves for a top 6 forward and rolling with the youthful but talented group below:

Girard --- Makar
Byram --- Johnson
Cole ----- Timmins
7D

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Due to Byram not being allowed to play in the AHL I think the likeliest scenario is that we start the season with Byram-Cole on the bottom pairing, with Timmins starting the season in the AHL and only getting a callup if/when there's an injury, or at least once Byram has established himself.

Graves -- Makar
Girard --- Johnson
Byram --- Cole
(7D and Timmins first AHL callup)

That said, if Timmins does well in some playoff games this season and/or seriously impresses in camp I could see the temptation in moving Graves for a top 6 forward and rolling with the youthful but talented group below:

Girard --- Makar
Byram --- Johnson
Cole ----- Timmins
7D

That's the thing too, we can project the lines in an ideal world, but it's almost guaranteed that there will be at least one D hurt at any point in the season. Even if Timmins starts as the 7th D, or even Byram, I think they'll get plenty of ice time. Avs are pretty good at rolling their D.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Based on his time in the WJC I think he'll be a top 4 Dman.

That being said, based on his time in the WJC Marc Denis could have been the next elite starting goaltender.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Resurrecting this thread.

I don't think he's going to be a regular top 4 in the NHL, his ceiling is probably a very good #5.

He seems to be able to stay healthy so far so that's good.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Resurrecting this thread.

I don't think he's going to be a regular top 4 in the NHL, his ceiling is probably a very good #5.

He seems to be able to stay healthy so far so that's good.
He has the smarts just not the foot speed to do the things he wants to do. I thought he was pretty bad last night in the first two periods and then the blowing the tire was just...

Reactions: Avs71

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
He just needs to get more offensive and more physical. His puck moving, zone exits and zone entries are on point.

Reactions: klozge

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I think he's got the skill set to be a top 4 Dman but also don't think he's got the durability so voted no.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yes but not i Colorado

This is something I could see however.

Both Toews and Byram have looked so much better then I expected, that I think our Top 4 Defense is essentially set now when you add G and Makar to that duo.

As much as I love Timmies game, I think his future as a Top 4 Defender likely comes on a different team.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I think there might be a misunderstanding. He's Top 4 caliber, but will play in the 5 or 6 spot on the Avs.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I could see him in the top 4 on a lesser team. His only chance in the top 4 here is after Toews leaves.

Assuming that other GM's are OK with his health, we could trade him this year to get a very good return. A potential top 4 RHD on ELC and expansion draft exempt must carry quite a bit of value.

Not sure Sakic is OK with the idea of trading him though.

IMO he should be the main piece going the other way for a long term solution at 3C.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I still maintain he's going to be a top 4 defenseman. He's played a total of 8 NHL games and 50 hockey games in the past 2 years. Even if we extend it to 3 years back, he's just cracking 100 hockey games total and he had a full year of no training. That's a lot of hockey he's missed out on. I don't think we're close to seeing the best of Timmins yet, if anything it's quite impressive what he's shown so far.

His hockey IQ is still by far his best asset, and as he plays more games he's going to continue to get better. If Jost can turn around his skating in the span of an offseason, I see no reason why Timmins can't either.

Last edited:

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I still maintain he's going to be a top 4 defenseman. He's played a total of 8 NHL games and 50 hockey games in the past 2 years. Even if we extend it to 3 years back, he's just cracking 100 hockey games total and he had a full year of no training. That's a lot of hockey he's missed out on. I don't think we're close to seeing the best of Timmins yet, if anything it's quite impressive what he's shown so far.

His hockey IQ is still by far his best asset, and as he plays more games he's going to continue to get better.

He'll always be limited by his skating and he won't be able to play the game that he wants to play at the NHL level because of that.

But he has the IQ and talent to reinvent himself and still be useful in the NHL (similar to what Graves is currently trying to do).

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
I don’t see why he can’t jump into the top 4 when Toews contract is up. He’s bigger than the current top 4 and has three and a half seasons to improve his skating.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
I don't see it. If he was bigger and more physical he might have a shot...but I don't feel like he does anything well enough (or will do anything well enough) to outweigh his faults.

Reactions: AvsGuy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad