Do you believe Conor Timmins will be a top-4 defenceman?

Do you believe Conor Timmins will be a top-4 defenceman?

• Total voters

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
On the balance, I say yes. I still believe in his potential to have bottom pairing be his floor, at the very least, barring another concussion. And I think it's a reasonable belief that #3/4D is still very much a possibility. I wouldn't bet my life on it but I think it's more likely than not at this stage.

Reactions: crue7 and LTC Pain

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
From what a saw purely from training camp, WJC, and preseason alone. I see legit second pairing potential. Barring his injuries, I truly believe he will be on the team next year. If not, mid season.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Absolutely. He'll probably top out as a high end #3, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. He's a smart defender who makes great outlet passes, but he's never going to score more than 10 goals imo, which will limit his upside. If he fits as a #4 with the Avs, that would be fine.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Absolutely. He'll probably top out as a high end #3, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. He's a smart defender who makes great outlet passes, but he's never going to score more than 10 goals imo, which will limit his upside. If he fits as a #4 with the Avs, that would be fine.
I agree. We already have a #1D and #2/3 in Girard, so if we can get another #2/3 in Byram and at least a #4 in Timmins that would be really solid.

Byram --- Makar
Girard --- Timmins

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I agree. We already have a #1D and #2/3 in Girard, so if we can get another #2/3 in Byram and at least a #4 in Timmins that would be really solid.

Byram --- Makar
Girard --- Timmins

Yep, if he pushes for a top-3 role on the Avs, I think that'll exceed expectations. Girard and Makar are already top 2 D imo, and Byram is potentially another.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Talent and IQ wise he easily has the potential to be a solid two-way #3 who can play on the secondary PP and PK units. The injury history though puts everything in the air now.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don’t believe in him like everyone else does. Career changing injuries and piss poor skating doesn’t really make me giddy. If we’re trading prospects to make this team better now he’s probably first on my list despite our need for a right handed defenseman with Conor Timmins’ ceiling.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Here's something, if we're strictly talking about being in the top-4... Since there's a limited amount of defensemen on a team at once, a lot of guys even with limited offensive skills will peak on the second pair.

So if we assume that he can at least put together an "average" NHL career, it almost becomes a question of defensive depth, and how long and how seriously the team contends in that time. It's really anywhere in between not even making it as a regular and being a high-end #3 probably, for all we can tell at this time.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don’t believe in him like everyone else does. Career changing injuries and piss poor skating doesn’t really make me giddy. If we’re trading prospects to make this team better now he’s probably first on my list despite our need for a right handed defenseman with Conor Timmins’ ceiling.

If the Avs draft a capable RD in the 1st round this year, I wouldn't at all be concerned with moving Timmins. The lack of RD depth though is pretty worrisome. All the eggs in the Helleson basket (as much as I love the kid) is not something I'd suggest.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
If the Avs draft a capable RD in the 1st round this year, I wouldn't at all be concerned with moving Timmins. The lack of RD depth though is pretty worrisome. All the eggs in the Helleson basket (as much as I love the kid) is not something I'd suggest.
I agree about not enough Rhd , Sakic sign Pietrangelo or offer sheet to Cernak..

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Drafting Niemela / Schneider / Barron would help.

I like RHD with the first pick of the draft.

Now you want to find the right value, so maybe that means trading up, or trading down, but they could use another prospect on the right side.

Wing could also be a consideration, but I think they need to hit LHD, Centre, or Goaltender too hard in this coming draft.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I like RHD with the first pick of the draft.

Now you want to find the right value, so maybe that means trading up, or trading down, but they could use another prospect on the right side.

Wing could also be a consideration, but I think they need to hit LHD, Centre, or Goaltender too hard in this coming draft.
Unless we manage to acquire a high 2nd round pick (eg. Zadorov trade) I think RHD is the way to go with that late 1st pick as well. If we did acquire a high 2nd then I'd be more inclined to pick a forward first and then go with a RHD early in the 2nd.

The sweet-spot to pick a RHD might be at the top of the 2nd round, so if there are still some good RHD's on the board at our late 1st pick I think there would potentially also be some value in trading down a few picks (eg. trade for Detroit #32, Ottawa's #33, SJ #34, LAK #35, etc) if it allows us to pick up an extra 2nd.

Either way I'd love to find a way to walk away from the draft with a high end RHD (eg. Niemela/Schneider) as well as a high-ceiling forward (eg. Peterka, Reichel, Mysak).

RHD and a forward are definitely our two biggest priorities. Beyond that I think LHD, C, and G are our priorities (in that order). After picking a RHD and forward with our highest two picks I'd use mid-round picks on those 3 positions, and then round out the draft by selection some boom-or-bust forwards with our late-round picks.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
The system is going to have needs all across the board. If there's a solid RHD prospect there for the taking, great. But scoring wingers, depth centers, and goalies are still a big need. About the only area I think they're relatively okay is in scoring line centers, but again, if there's a really good prospect there, don't pass him up.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I have yet to see much evidence the Avs are willing to draft and develop anything other than top 4 picks to add to their D core. It’s no accident they haven’t drafted a first round D other than those two since Siemens and Shattenkirk. Timmins needs to go to another org to get a legit shot to become a top 4 D.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I have yet to see much evidence the Avs are willing to draft and develop anything other than top 4 picks to add to their D core. It’s no accident they haven’t drafted a first round D other than those two since Siemens and Shattenkirk. Timmins needs to go to another org to get a legit shot to become a top 4 D.
Timmins is going to get his shot

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The Avs are more than fair with their prospects. If they deserves to play they get a chance, if it looks like more development is needed they get sent down.

It's all up to Timmins to show that he deserves to be a regular NHL player. The Avs are one of the best teams in the league with solid depth, rookies need to impress to make the team.

Reactions: Mac Attack

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->