Do you believe Conor Timmins will be a top-4 defenceman?

Do you believe Conor Timmins will be a top-4 defenceman?

• Total voters

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Just stop, you got Bo wrong and you got Timmins wrong. You're terrible at evaluating talent and you need to stop. I could be wrong, it may have been Makar you thought was going to bust. Either way please stop with the talent evaluations.
Hey... that’s just like your opinion man.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Just stop, you got Bo wrong and you got Timmins wrong. You're terrible at evaluating talent and you need to stop. I could be wrong, it may have been Makar you thought was going to bust. Either way please stop with the talent evaluations.
Because after 15 and 16 games both of these guys’ development is done and this is who they will be for their entire careers.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
We seem to forget that Timmins missed over a calendar year at a time when development is so important. Also missed six weeks the following season for a different injury. And then made it onto the lineup in the playoffs only to leave thanks to a late hit from that shitbag Cogliano.

I don’t think he has anything to learn at the AHL level but he’s lost essentially two full seasons’ worth of development. Stands to reason he’s struggling a bit to adjust to the pace of the NHL.

I thought he was fine tonight. A couple oh-shit moments but he didn’t bother me a lot.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Just bumping this thread with the last few posts from the other misspelled thread because we need to let that one die.

Agreed, but I am still under the notion that he hasn't really bad that bad this season. He's had some really bad moments don't get me wrong, but akin to Graves he's thrown under the coach (some of that is warranted though). He reminds me a lot of O'Reilly as a defenceman, someone with bad skating but can get around with off the charts anticipation and overall cerebral play. I do buy the fact that I am not sure it will be with us though. I mean I think it would be stupid to trade him at the value he is at now, but I think we're going to see the best of his ability on a team with a different sweater. He might be a player Avs could trade away to recoup a draft pick pick here or there that we got rid of in the next two drafts.

I remember that comment and not even close of being correct. After Makar came here for the rookie camp, which he looked like a MacKinnon version of a defender that exploded all the hype with him.

Yeah Timmins was never considered a better prospect than Makar... McNabb is just ridiculous sometimes

Timmins has looked every bit a top 4 Dman the past handful of games. Excellent D zone handles and passing. Creative breakouts that key transition offense. Nice looking shot.

he’s still not physical enough in front of his net. His skating isn’t as bad as the hyperbole here but it’s below average.

I’m very glad we didn’t trade him for a rental. Seeing this version of Timmins gives the Avs the roadmap for EJ. Buy him out, trade and retain or LTIR. Give his minutes to Timmins as another RHD and then sign a ring chaser like a Savard to a short term deal to replace Graves (Seattle) role on the PK and bottom pair.

He's really starting to gain confidence in his offensive game, specifically his passing, but he's still struggling a big with bad turnovers in the D zone. Which tells me he hasn't fully gotten used to the pace yet.

Hopefully those turnovers become less and less though. Would be so great if he can reach that top 4 potential he has.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
giphy.gif

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Timmins was a +2, as was Graves, in the game last night where Nemeth was a hot mess and richly deserved -2.

Timmins continues to demonstrate why he was and remains such a highly regarded prospect. Dude is going to have a 10 plus year career if the concussions don’t derail him. He’s very much a plus defender in terms of transition hockey. The defensive side will come with more experience and weight room work. Dude missed a season and lost more time to c19. He’s looking more in the groove with each passing game.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
What is Timmins status for the expansion draft, is he exempt?

sorry if this has been asked.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
What is Timmins status for the expansion draft, is he exempt?

sorry if this has been asked.
First and second year players exempt. Makar considered 3rd year due to his playoff run after leaving UMass. So a player like Kaut is also exempt.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Ahh, he pinched again, huh?

Well, or he just got beat, I can't remember what caused that.

Gravy to me is the ultimate YOLO defenseman. I think he plays his best when you just let him do whatever--don't try and make him play "responsibly." The more aggressive he is, the better he seems to play, even if such risks leave his defensive partner vulnerable.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Well, or he just got beat, I can't remember what caused that.

Gravy to me is the ultimate YOLO defenseman. I think he plays his best when you just let him do whatever--don't try and make him play "responsibly." The more aggressive he is, the better he seems to play, even if such risks leave his defensive partner vulnerable.
MacDonald is more yolo than Graves...

Reactions: McJedi

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
MacDonald is more yolo than Graves...

MacDonald is smarter about his pinches than Graves, and is a good-enough skater that it doesn't matter as much. He also seems to be more adept at winning puck battles and retaining possession, which has never been Graves' strong suit.

I've said before that I feel the coaches have overdone it with Graves--and it's not just with the penalty kill. They clearly were trying to get him to hang back more and take on a stay-at-home role and that's absolutely the WORST thing you could do with a guy like that. At the beginning of the season he was either way too reluctant and backing way off incoming puck carriers or he was choosing the worst possible moments to be aggressive. It screwed with his game in a really bad way and he didn't get it back (for the most part) until recently. They appear to be leaving MacDonald alone because for reasons I don't entirely understand, his aggressive style just seems to fit more with what the Avs are doing.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
MacDonald gets away with his stuff because he makes better decisions (still not always great, but compared to Graves he's the smartest man alive) and he's actually a pretty damn good skater. Along with that, MacDonald also has really high end hockey creativity. Many of his plays are against the grain in a good way. Sometimes they bite with a terrible turnover, but if there is more good than bad... you accept it. I'm not comparing here, but it is kinda like Zegras. He's going to make some really bad plays just because he's trying something... but if he pulls off 20%, he's creating some great scoring chances. MacDonald has a little of that in his game. Which has honestly, probably killed many of his chances at ending up in the NHL. NHL coaches want their lower guys to be safe all the time and coach out the aggressiveness. If you do that with MacDonald, you have a meh 7/8 guy.

With Graves, you get what he is now... a bottom pairing guy who is a bit frustrating. If they let him off his leash, he'd probably be a better defensemen... but he wouldn't be a defensemen you want on a contending team. His cons would just be too much. Would be a fantastic guy for a team rebuilding or just trying to get into the playoffs though.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
With Graves, you get what he is now... a bottom pairing guy who is a bit frustrating. If they let him off his leash, he'd probably be a better defensemen... but he wouldn't be a defensemen you want on a contending team. His cons would just be too much. Would be a fantastic guy for a team rebuilding or just trying to get into the playoffs though.

Yeah, I said before I don't think he's a good fit for the Avalanche anymore--they really need someone a little less "fun" on the bottom pairing. He was great as an interim top-four guy alongside Makar though.

Next season I'll love it if this is the opening night lineup.

Toews - Girard
Byram - Makar
MacDonald - Timmins

I think, one way or another, both Graves and Johnson are goners.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Yeah, I said before I don't think he's a good fit for the Avalanche anymore--they really need someone a little less "fun" on the bottom pairing. He was great as an interim top-four guy alongside Makar though.

Next season I'll love it if this is the opening night lineup.

Toews - Girard
Byram - Makar
MacDonald - Timmins

I think, one way or another, both Graves and Johnson are goners.
Graves...I agree. Unfortunately the Avs have acknowledged that Johnson is on a timeline to recover and that it should be available if the Avs get far enough, or past the first round or something like that. I don't see him getting traded or claimed and since he'll be healthy at some point in the POs, unless he's injured, he should be reporting to camp and while he's eating up cap until he goes back on the IR, I'm just not sure how much you can budget counting on it. I think he's got this last return and then at his next significant injury both he and the team decide it's not worth risking long-term damage and he legitimately goes on long term career ending IR allowing him to pursue breeding horses and appear at special functions or nights as an alumni. Not a guy who's going to get his jersey raised but a guy who should be remembered for how much he gave during the crappy years and his wanting to stay and be part of the re-re-re-build. Also, while in business matters Joe can be cunning, ruthless and sometimes straight up gangster as a person he's always been classy...except for that one time the motherf***ing :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:er signed with the Rangers. Or the time he was about to clear IR and come back to run out the clock with one of our clearly not good enough teams and just couldn't take it...so he just stuck his dick-skinner in a snow blower. Gotta admire his dedication. That said, I just can't see him buying out EJ without making him whole financially, or trading him to retire in another sweater unless EJ asks for it. In which case, EJ should have his jersey retired if it either clears cap space and/or gives us a useful asset.

[edit...that's a funny way of editing organ blower.]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad