Do you believe Conor Timmins will be a top-4 defenceman?

Do you believe Conor Timmins will be a top-4 defenceman?

• Total voters

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It wouldn’t even carry the same pronunciation. Timmins rolls off the tongue much easier than Timmons, which almost demands it be said with British accent.

Great, now I can't stop saying Timmins name in my head with an english accent.

And now I can't stop thinking about Michael Caine calling an Avalanche game.

How can we make this happen? I'll settle for guest host for one period. Or one shift even. It'd be glorious.

Reactions: McMetal

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Yeah, I said before I don't think he's a good fit for the Avalanche anymore--they really need someone a little less "fun" on the bottom pairing. He was great as an interim top-four guy alongside Makar though.

Next season I'll love it if this is the opening night lineup.

Toews - Girard
Byram - Makar
MacDonald - Timmins

I think, one way or another, both Graves and Johnson are goners.
You think MacDonald is the "less fun" solution for the bottom pairing? :huh::laugh:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

How can we make this happen? I'll settle for guest host for one period. Or one shift even. It'd be glorious.
If you want to learn how to say "Michael Caine" in a British accent, say "My Cocaine".

Likewise, say "Beer can" if you want to learn to say "bacon" in jamaican.

:teach2: The more you know!

Mackinnonen

Sep 6, 2015
Yeah, I said before I don't think he's a good fit for the Avalanche anymore--they really need someone a little less "fun" on the bottom pairing. He was great as an interim top-four guy alongside Makar though.

Toews - Girard
Byram - Makar
MacDonald - Timmins

I would love for this to be the playoffs opening night lineup. Every guy can move the puck.

Reactions: Pokecheque

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

That would be glorious.

“Timmins to Jost (very long J). JoooST over to MacKinnon.”!

“what a shot. Goal for the team from Colorado.”

In the Queens English, sounds awesome.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

Toews - Girard
Byram - Makar
MacDonald - Timmins

That’s way too much faith in MacDonald and the line up 1-6 is also too small. Where is the size? Where is PK #1.

spend some bucks on a ring chaser in UFA. sign a guy like Savard to a 1 year deal. MacDonald needs to be a guy you play in case of injury. His defensive game kinda sucks. His coverage sucks. His stick isn’t active enough. He’s not physical. Defenders need to be able to defend. Especially on your bottom pair.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Graves...I agree. Unfortunately the Avs have acknowledged that Johnson is on a timeline to recover and that it should be available if the Avs get far enough, or past the first round or something like that. I don't see him getting traded or claimed and since he'll be healthy at some point in the POs, unless he's injured, he should be reporting to camp and while he's eating up cap until he goes back on the IR, I'm just not sure how much you can budget counting on it. I think he's got this last return and then at his next significant injury both he and the team decide it's not worth risking long-term damage and he legitimately goes on long term career ending IR allowing him to pursue breeding horses and appear at special functions or nights as an alumni. Not a guy who's going to get his jersey raised but a guy who should be remembered for how much he gave during the crappy years and his wanting to stay and be part of the re-re-re-build. Also, while in business matters Joe can be cunning, ruthless and sometimes straight up gangster as a person he's always been classy...except for that one time the motherf***ing :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:er signed with the Rangers. Or the time he was about to clear IR and come back to run out the clock with one of our clearly not good enough teams and just couldn't take it...so he just stuck his dick-skinner in a snow blower. Gotta admire his dedication. That said, I just can't see him buying out EJ without making him whole financially, or trading him to retire in another sweater unless EJ asks for it. In which case, EJ should have his jersey retired if it either clears cap space and/or gives us a useful asset.

[edit...that's a funny way of editing organ blower.]
EJ isn’t returning an asset. His contract is definitely negative value. The injuries and unreliable presence on game night roster have made that so. He should be bought out. He can sign elsewhere to make up the difference. Avs ownership isn’t going to piss away $4mm just cause. Nor should they. This is a business. Not a charity. EJs made a lot of money. But he’s no longer worth the roster spot and cap space.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
EJ isn’t returning an asset. His contract is definitely negative value. The injuries and unreliable presence on game night roster have made that so. He should be bought out. He can sign elsewhere to make up the difference. Avs ownership isn’t going to piss away $4mm just cause. Nor should they. This is a business. Not a charity. EJs made a lot of money. But he’s no longer worth the roster spot and cap space.
Agree with all of this. However, it remains to be seen if the Avs really want to buyout the glass man.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Agree with all of this. However, it remains to be seen if the Avs really want to buyout the glass man.
What other options do they have? LTIR is the only realistic one it appears to me.

They can’t waste another $6mm season of cap space on a guy that is now a China doll. He’s not tradable.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
What other options do they have? LTIR is the only realistic one it appears to me.

They can’t waste another $6mm season of cap space on a guy that is now a China doll. He’s not tradable.
They can waste the cap space by keeping EJ, they shouldn't but they can.

Don't think EJ will retire at this point so no LTIR.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If the main concern with EJ is his cap hit impacting the team during their competitive window, I just don't see how it makes sense to buy him out.

$3M x 2 in salary retained trade is better than $2M x 4 in a buyout.

Even more so with $3M x 1, which I think is the more likely time they'd trade EJ.

Reactions: Richard88

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
If the main concern with EJ is his cap hit impacting the team during their competitive window, I just don't see how it makes sense to buy him out.

$3M x 2 in salary retained trade is better than $2M x 4 in a buyout.

Even more so with $3M x 1, which I think is the more likely time they'd trade EJ.
Then you have the issue of paying assess to trade a top 4 dman who at best will play ~60% of the season in an environment where cap space is crucial. I just don’t think trading him will happen at a reasonable price.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Then you have the issue of paying assess to trade a top 4 dman who at best will play ~60% of the season in an environment where cap space is crucial. I just don’t think trading him will happen at a reasonable price.

I guess it depends on the asset then right? I don't think Seattle would be that upset with EJ in a leadership role at $3M if they're picking up an asset. Even if it's not a high end asset.

Especially if it's only for one year, but I can see the case being the same with two.

Avs are positioned well enough to lose an asset if they need to clear cap space too.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Joe ain't going to trade him without his consent and he's not going to buy him out either. He either goes on LTIR for the rest of it, or he plays a few games a year while not on IR or LTIR. But his career will end with the Avs and I just don't see it happening with a buyout.

Now we can talk about what should happen and what most likely will happen all day and I'll agree what I would prefer isn't going to happen but I just don't see buying him out being any more realistic.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Timmins may not have the room in our lineup to be a top-4 but he has talent to be a top-4 D level player in the NHL.

He’s a fairly cerebral player and it took some time for his brain to adjust to the NHL speed but he has turned the corner. I’m very pleased.

If he was XD eligible he would be Seattle’s choice in an instant.

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
Timmins will never be a great skater pretty obvious, but do we still have the same skating trainers that got RoR and others to new levels in terms of skating?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
He seems to have good instincts for when to jump up in the play. He's not a very fast guy but uses his range fairly well to protect the puck. Good passer. He needs to be healthy a few off-seasons in a row to work on getting faster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad