Do you believe Conor Timmins will be a top-4 defenceman?

Do you believe Conor Timmins will be a top-4 defenceman?

• Total voters

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Timmins has 0 points on the season. That takes real effort when you get PP time even. I think he could need more time in the AHL to build confidence and stop making high risk decisions.
AHL time isn't gonna do much. He just needs to get used to the NHL pace. The last few games have been rough, but his first few games he was making good plays and his decision making was fine.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I dunno, maybe a demotion is warranted, if nothing else it may allow him to get his confidence back. I remember Tyson Barrie looked shaky as hell to start 2013, got demoted, played maybe one game for Lake Erie, then got called back up and had his breakout season. Not saying it'll happen the same way with Timmins, but ya never know. If nothing else, if they choose not to put him back in the lineup at this time, they should send him down to at least get some games in.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." Timmins is looking like a bust and I don't see the silver lining. I would be okay with trading him before his stock plummets further and the rest of the league is on notice that he isn't NHL caliber. I'd take a 3rd for him today, from the back end of the round.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He’s too slow to contribute in the ozone. The instant he gets caught up ice it’s all over and the avs are screwed on the play

I get that he's slow but y'all are exaggerating his lack of speed. He's not Carl Soderberg out there, and IMO he's a better skater than Tyson Jost. But that's just MHO.

He can contribute offensively. He had a nice play in a recent game where he carried it around the perimeter in the attacking zone, made at least one give-and-go pass to make some space for himself, and then cut inside to the high slot and put a good shot on net. He just needs to pick it up a little, maybe improve that shot in terms of power and release, and he'll be onto something. Some guys develop slower than others--we as fans have been extremely lucky (and spoiled) to see three guys in Girard, Makar, and now Byram hit the NHL ice running and never look back.

Reactions: McMetal

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." Timmins is looking like a bust and I don't see the silver lining. I would be okay with trading him before his stock plummets further and the rest of the league is on notice that he isn't NHL caliber. I'd take a 3rd for him today, from the back end of the round.

Timmins has only played 15 games in the NHL and missed an entire year of hockey as a 20 year old. Way too early to be making declarations about him like this.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't believe that. Jost might have better top-end speed but he has the very worst acceleration/first step on the team AINEC.

Timmins has NO acceleration whatsoever, he looks like he's stuck in molasses. Once he gets going (which takes forever) he's not bad at carrying the puck actually.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Timmins has 0 points on the season. That takes real effort when you get PP time even. I think he could need more time in the AHL to build confidence and stop making high risk decisions.
He's been taking a lot more shots lately, though, and getting some good looks. I think he just needs to find the balance between offense and defense, and right now I don't know if the AHL is the place to do that. He needs to adjust to NHL speed, for better or worse, and there's no other place to do that than with the Avs. If we're not worried about Byram with his two assists in 15 games, we shouldn't be worried about Timmins, IMO.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
I get that he's slow but y'all are exaggerating his lack of speed. He's not Carl Soderberg out there, and IMO he's a better skater than Tyson Jost. But that's just MHO.

He can contribute offensively. He had a nice play in a recent game where he carried it around the perimeter in the attacking zone, made at least one give-and-go pass to make some space for himself, and then cut inside to the high slot and put a good shot on net. He just needs to pick it up a little, maybe improve that shot in terms of power and release, and he'll be onto something. Some guys develop slower than others--we as fans have been extremely lucky (and spoiled) to see three guys in Girard, Makar, and now Byram hit the NHL ice running and never look back.

im not saying he can’t create offense, I’m saying when he puts himself in positions to produce offense like pinching, trying to hold the zone, and getting deeper than the blue line his utter lack of speed pulls him out of the play the instant the puck starts going the other way. He is very close to One eyed Carl slow and that’s just not a trait that’s going to work for a defenseman on this team. I think he actually has good offensive instincts as he displayed in international play. Maybe he just looks so slow because he’s making decisions slowly due to lack of confidence or maybe he’s just slow. Either way I think his benching is warranted and I hope he comes back stronger

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

This was a real head scratcher to me, that they gave Timmins PP time instead of Byram, when Byram had been outplaying Timmins by a fair bit at the time, and Makar and Girard were out of the lineup.

Either they were trying to get Timmins going and build some confidence, or they were hoping to showcase him in different roles.

Not sure which, but I keep having the feeling they might be playing him, because other teams want to evaluate him.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
This was a real head scratcher to me, that they gave Timmins PP time instead of Byram, when Byram had been outplaying Timmins by a fair bit at the time, and Makar and Girard were out of the lineup.

Either they were trying to get Timmins going and build some confidence, or they were hoping to showcase him in different roles.

Not sure which, but I keep having the feeling they might be playing him, because other teams want to evaluate him.

I think they just wanted to see what he could do on the power play. That’s definitely one area where his lack of speed isn’t quite as big a hindrance.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
AHL time isn't gonna do much. He just needs to get used to the NHL pace. The last few games have been rough, but his first few games he was making good plays and his decision making was fine.

I didn't see it.

I saw him consistently making bad decisions and poor passes resulting in turnovers.

I think he had his chance and he is done on this team. McDonald and Renouf are now clearly ahead of him.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think he had his chance and he is done on this team. McDonald and Renouf are now clearly ahead of him.

Riiiight. You can make the assertion an AHL scrub is “clearly ahead” of a top prospect because you, what, watched him play for ten minutes?

Bro if you jerk that knee any harder it’s gonna need surgery.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I didn't see it.

I saw him consistently making bad decisions and poor passes resulting in turnovers.

lol ok.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

And fortunately, you are not Joe Sakic.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm everywhere and have been for a long time.

giphy.gif

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Show me the post where I called Bo a low level Defenseman :laugh:
Just stop, you got Bo wrong and you got Timmins wrong. You're terrible at evaluating talent and you need to stop. I could be wrong, it may have been Makar you thought was going to bust. Either way please stop with the talent evaluations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad