Do McDavid and Laine pose any threat to Sid/Ovi's legacies?

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
I believe McDavid will become the greatest player since Mario. I wiuldn’t Be surprised with a 120 point season in 2018/19.

Laine doesn’t belong in any greatness potential discussion thread yet. He is a great young player but not even close to ovechkin at all. He might get a few Richard trophies in his career. Jets are lucky to have drafted him but he is in no way generational.

hockey4sale

Oct 19, 2014
At his peak in 07-10 Ovie was like McDavid+ Laine with even better shot + Tom Wilson combined, while we may already have better version of Crosby in McDavid it will be long time before another Ovie enters the league, the great 8 is just super unique player

Reactions: Hippasus

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Ovechkin has a Calder, Art Ross, 3 Hart, 3 Lindsey, 7 Richard and a Conn Smythe. Laine doesn't even hold his jock strap right now

Crosby has 3 cups, with 2 Smythe's as well as a number of other awards. McDavid has missed the playoffs 2/3 of his career so far.

Let's slow down any kind of comparison between these players...

Saekk

Jul 25, 2017
Ovechkin has a Calder, Art Ross, 3 Hart, 3 Lindsey, 7 Richard and a Conn Smythe. Laine doesn't even hold his jock strap right now

Crosby has 3 cups, with 2 Smythe's as well as a number of other awards. McDavid has missed the playoffs 2/3 of his career so far.

I found it impressive how badly you managed to undestand the OP though.

I'm not saying they are better or will be better, but basing your case on trophies when the other 2 have played only few seasons in the league.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

The concept of career projection is foreign to you?

Doyoulikeapples*

We stole Tavares
Feb 5, 2018
Laine doesn’t belong in this conversation. He isn’t even a franchise player, he’s simply a one dimensional scorer, a scorer who benefits greatly from the powerplay.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
If you wanna be compared to Sid/ovi/mcdavid I don't think it's too much to ask to be the best player on your team
I'm not saying Laine isnt a great youung player, he is just an all time great young player like these three were
Depends on the day if hes the best but hes certainly going to be the best. I dont know why it is so special to replicate someone elses career and player profile. Laine and Ovechkin have many similar strengths but they are different players

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Depends on the day if hes the best but hes certainly going to be the best. I dont know why it is so special to replicate someone elses career and player profile. Laine and Ovechkin have many similar strengths but they are different players

Please enlighten me as to what strengths Laine and Ovi share. Only thing I see is shooting ability. Thats it. I would honestly love to know what else you think they share in common.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
I'm talking points
Points > goals

Hahaha WHAT?

Do you not recognize the fact that there are 1.7 assists to every 1 goal, that an assist can not happen without a goal. The general idea that hockey game will only be won by scoring more goals than the opponent....

There is an obvious reason or several why goals are way more valuable than any other aspect in hockey. It is literally the objective of the game.

Goals are above everything else. All things outside of that are complimentary and secondary.

If you value assists more than goals, message me about a bridge I am selling.

Reactions: Deam78

Noldo

May 28, 2007
If ant player, be him McDavid, Laine or whoever, manages clearly separate himself from the pack over the course of next few years, it will definitely affect Crosby’s and Ovi’s legacies.

But I am talking about clear separation like winning back-to-back-to-back Art Rosses each with 130+ points while rest of the best struggle between PPG and 100 points or scoring 60+ goals several years in a row and winning each Rocket with 10+ goals ahead of the runner up.

Because such achievements would show that it is still possible to clearly stand above the peers even in straight numbers in this time and age. And that in turn would make Ovi’s and Crosby’s accomplishments seem more pedestrian - making a strong case that they are closer to Yzerman / Sakic -tier than Bobby Hull / Jean Beliveau -tier.

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
Hahaha WHAT?

Do you not recognize the fact that there are 1.7 assists to every 1 goal, that an assist can not happen without a goal. The general idea that hockey game will only be won by scoring more goals than the opponent....

There is an obvious reason or several why goals are way more valuable than any other aspect in hockey. It is literally the objective of the game.

Goals are above everything else. All things outside of that are complimentary and secondary.

If you value assists more than goals, message me about a bridge I am selling.

Quote me where I state I value assists over goals. I'll be waiting....forever
You are 0/2 accusing me of saying things/not saying things. You should work on your reading before trying to sound smart

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Laine still has work to do to reach his max potential. That can be said of any young person, but he is still pretty raw compared to the other 3 mentioned at the same age. Only 1 of the 4 that hasn't driven a 1st line offence. A lot of things need to go right for him to enter the greatness conversation.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Not yet. Not saying never but they need to keep up their performance for the next decade before they reach Sid, Malkin, or Ovi levels.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Watching early year Ovi, crosby and Mcdavid I don't see how Laine belongs in this conversation. He's still young but I don't see him having nearly the impact these guys had/have

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad