Do McDavid and Laine pose any threat to Sid/Ovi's legacies?

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Now that Ovi has his cup and Smythe both Sid and Ovi have their legacies locked down. But the worrying thing is a player like Jagr who won 5 art Rosses in a row loses to Sid now very clearly on the polls. Jagr despite everything he did has almost been replaced by Sid in the eyes of the new generation. But the players are different enough that Sid can not damage Jagr's legacy even if some seem him as better.

McDavid and Laine's favorite players are Sid and Ovi. They play a similar style to them. Is there a chance that Ovi and Sid will be looked at as unremarkable in the future because they are dwarfed by Laine and McDavid? Is there a chance that their legacies will crumble? Or are they safe? Or just Ovi? Or just Sid?

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
McDavid will have a better career then Crosby it's inevitable. Crosby gets placed higher then jagr because Crosby has (4) 20+ point playoff runs and (3) 25+ point playoff runs and (6) 19 + point playoff runs which is top 5 /10 all time easy.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Both players were HOFers before McDavid and Laine even entered the league. They've both accomplished pretty much everything they can at this point. They'll continue to compile statistics.

So, no.
Ya but some of the greats of last generation like Sakic Fedorov Yzerman are dwarfed by Sid and Ovi now

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Mcdavid will likely have more Art Rosses than Sid. They're already tied, and Mcdavid still has many years of his offensive prime left. Sid is exiting his, and unlikely to win any more Art Rosses. For career PPG, it's 1.29 (Sid) to 1.22 (Mcdavid). We'll need to wait a long time to see how this plays out because Mcdavids won't start to go down until he hits his 30s. In his 20's I think Sid's PPG was as high as 1.31ish. Chances are they will be pretty similar in PPG by careers end.

So that leaves Cups. Winning 3 Cups is really hard. And Sid may win another. If I were a betting man I'd say:

1) Mcdavid will capture at least 2-3 more Art Rosses than Sid

2) Career PPG will end up similar

3) Sid will edge him in Cup wins and Richard trophies

I think they'll be considered similar caliber players. If Mcdavid ends up winning a few Cups, he'll be considered even better than Sid whereas Sid will have that Mario vs Gretzky factor of "what if?" We'll always wonder how many more trophies/big seasons Sid had if he was healthy. He probably has at least 1-2 more Rosses if he doesn't miss as much time as he has.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Jagr is in the same place he was before the lockout except 1 or 2 places lower, Crosby doesn’t make him worse

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Laine plays on a second line of a powerhouse team with a powerhouse top six.

He doesent have to Play on the top line against the best defenders every night like certain other younger top stars.

He scores half his goals on the power play due to his sick shot (one of his only really impressive attributes compared to other younger top stars) which has some of the best playmakers in the nhl on the unit.

If he was on the sabres for instance playing with girgensens and Pominville would he be putting up 44 26 70 in 82 like he did last year?

How on earth do you get just 26 assists in 82 games playing with the likes of ehlhers little stastny, and on that PP unit with the others? Matthews has more assists then that in just 62 games. That’s atrocious. Eichel for instance got 39 assists this year In just 67 games on the lowest scoring team. In 15 less games, 13 more assists with a bunch of bums. Infact Eichel had more pts even strength in those 67 games that Laine had total goals powerplay and even strength and he had 44 in 82, and that’s his claim to fame lol.

Theme: there are better younger players then Laine in this league. Even one on the Jets top line.

And this is the guy that’s going to challenge the legacies of Sidney Crosby and Alex ovechkin.

Have you watched hockey over or under five years? Just curious?

Last edited:

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
McDavid will have a better career then Crosby it's inevitable. Crosby gets placed higher then jagr because Crosby has (4) 20+ point playoff runs and (3) 25+ point playoff runs and (6) 19 + point playoff runs which is top 5 /10 all time easy.

I don't think it's inevitable. Injuries can strike anyone (even affected McDavid's rookie season). And Crosby has team accomplishments that McDavid may not have control over (having a Malkin and a generally deep team in the last 2 Penguins Cup runs, and being part of a dominant Team Canada in 2010 and 2014). McDavid has to at least win a Cup before he can be matched up against Crosby.

Reactions: dukeofjive

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA

So McDavid is top 5 /10 all time easy too, since he's inevitably better the Crosby? That's quite the bar to set.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
laine lmao
he is not close to the same tier of player, and im confident that will never change
buddy isn't even a top 2 forward on his own team

The body of work just suggests otherwise.

Let's get this thing up to date (let me know if it is missing something):

2015-16 Liiga Rookie of the Year.
2015-16 Liiga Rookie Goals Leader.
2015-16 Liiga Rookie Points Leader.
2015-16 Liiga Playoff MVP and Champion.
2015-16 Liiga Playoff Goals Leader.
2015-16 Liiga Record Setter for Most Playoff Goals By a Rookie.
2016 World Junior All Star Team.
2016 World Junior Gold Medal.
2016 World Junior Goals Leader.
2015 U-18 All Star Team.
2015 U-18 Silver Medal.
2015 U-18 Goals Leader.
2016 World Championship MVP.
2016 World Championship Silver Medal.
2016 World Championship All-Star Team.
2016 World Championship, IIHF Directorate Award for Best Forward.
2016 World Championship, Award for Top 3 Player on Team.
2016 World Championship Goals Leader.
2016 World Championship Record Setter for Most Goals by a Player in First Year of NHL Draft Eligibility.
2016 World Championship Record Setter for Most Points by a Player in First Year of NHL Draft Eligibility.
Second-Highest Point Total by a U-19 Player at a World Championship Tournament (behind only Sidney Crosby, 2006).
Youngest player ever to score three hat tricks in the NHL
Fastest 18 Year-old to achieve 30 goals in the NHL (era-adjusted)
PPG player as an 18 Year-old in the NHL (56 games in. Finished season 73gp, 64 points)
3rd European teenager ever to reach 100 career points in the NHL
Longest point streak by a teenager in NHL history at 14 games
Scored 40 goals in less ice-time than anyone in the NHL since ice-time has been recorded (44 Goals averaging 16:29 minutes)

Kinda have to go with that argument rather than your assessment. Sorry. It's more convincing.

Reactions: jorge martinez

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I think the OP is on to something. But not for the reasons he expressed. First of all I want to say that I think that McD when his career is over will be better then Crosby. Laine I doubt will be better the Ovi but he will probably be close. The thing is as the years go by and age reduces Crosby and Ovi to ordinary players and eventually retire a new generation of hockey fans will eventually forget or not know how good both the players were. But they will see McD and Laine in their prime and consider them better players. The reason I believe this is I have been shocked on how many people on HFboards believe that Crosby or Ovi are even close to being the dominate players that Gretzky or Lemieux were in their prime. There has been no player since them that even comes close to their skill level. They were so dominate in their prime that no player since has even come close to date. McD has a chance but I doubt he will dominate the league like they did. The fact is as years go by new generation of hockey fans forget how good past players really were so yes there is a chance that McD and Laine will sometime in the future be considered better even if they really weren't. Since both are young they may become better but that does not mean that Crosby and Ovi's legacy will not diminish over time no matter how good McD or Laine eventually get.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Do they?

16BSPKU.gif

No.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I don't think it's inevitable. Injuries can strike anyone (even affected McDavid's rookie season). And Crosby has team accomplishments that McDavid may not have control over (having a Malkin and a generally deep team in the last 2 Penguins Cup runs, and being part of a dominant Team Canada in 2010 and 2014). McDavid has to at least win a Cup before he can be matched up against Crosby.

I disagree, if he wins 3/4 harts and 6/7 Art Rosses but no cup, it will be pretty tough not to make comparisons.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
laine lmao
he is not close to the same tier of player, and im confident that will never change
buddy isn't even a top 2 forward on his own team
You really think so he is not going to be top 2 forward on his own team? Winnipeg is a very deep team so no wonder a 20 year old isnt the best at this moment... Watch and learn

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Now that Ovi has his cup and Smythe both Sid and Ovi have their legacies locked down. But the worrying thing is a player like Jagr who won 5 art Rosses in a row loses to Sid now very clearly on the polls. Jagr despite everything he did has almost been replaced by Sid in the eyes of the new generation. But the players are different enough that Sid can not damage Jagr's legacy even if some seem him as better.

McDavid and Laine's favorite players are Sid and Ovi. They play a similar style to them. Is there a chance that Ovi and Sid will be looked at as unremarkable in the future because they are dwarfed by Laine and McDavid? Is there a chance that their legacies will crumble? Or are they safe? Or just Ovi? Or just Sid?

Worrying to who? Jagr loses to Crosby in playoff resume and in 2-way play.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
You really think so he is not going to be top 2 forward on his own team? Winnipeg is a very deep team so no wonder a 20 year old isnt the best at this moment... Watch and learn
the problem is that Crosby and Ovechkin were the top players the second they stepped on their teams and that's where the line lies.....he isn't being compared to normal stars here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad