Do McDavid and Laine pose any threat to Sid/Ovi's legacies?

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Literally none of that suggests he is on 97/8/87 level
Ovi had 300 points in his first 3 yeas, and he was 3rd in scoring in his rookie year, so unless Laine is dropping 150 next year, he ain't close
Sid had an art Ross in his first three years
Mcdavid has 2 art rosses in his first three years
But , Laine ppg so he is so good
By laine's age, all three were already top players in the entire league. Laine ain't even a top player on his own team

Again, Ovechkin at the age Laine is now, had only played in RSL. I know, I followed his junior years.

I have also followed Laine and he has had OV beat 17,18,19 years old. Don't see any reason it's not going to continue at 20 as well.

Know your facts before you comment with such certainty and conviction.

Laine is the best european 18 year old ever to enter the league in points. He beat Jagrs record. Ovechkin started in the NHL as draft+3 because of the lockout. Next season is draft+3 for Laine

HockeyAnalystGenius

Jun 15, 2017
I think the OP is on to something. But not for the reasons he expressed. First of all I want to say that I think that McD when his career is over will be better then Crosby. Laine I doubt will be better the Ovi but he will probably be close. The thing is as the years go by and age reduces Crosby and Ovi to ordinary players and eventually retire a new generation of hockey fans will eventually forget or not know how good both the players were. But they will see McD and Laine in their prime and consider them better players. The reason I believe this is I have been shocked on how many people on HFboards believe that Crosby or Ovi are even close to being the dominate players that Gretzky or Lemieux were in their prime. There has been no player since them that even comes close to their skill level. They were so dominate in their prime that no player since has even come close to date. McD has a chance but I doubt he will dominate the league like they did. The fact is as years go by new generation of hockey fans forget how good past players really were so yes there is a chance that McD and Laine will sometime in the future be considered better even if they really weren't. Since both are young they may become better but that does not mean that Crosby and Ovi's legacy will not diminish over time no matter how good McD or Laine eventually get.

Young hockey Fans are the Death of this Forum.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Laine is closer to Stamkos than he is Ovechkin. Almost zilch chance he can overtake him.

McDavid has a legit shot to ovetake Crosby though. Despite the scoring trophies in his first two full years and sexy speed, I still think Crosby was the slightly better player at the same age and point in their careers.

Reactions: 99664987

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Ahaha Laine.

McDavid MAYBE but he's really in his own era so it's not a challenge.

Laine is fantastic but not even close to McDavid. There are two DEFENSEMEN that have more points than Laine over the past two seasons. McDavid is 20 points ahead of second place over the last two seasons (which, surprisingly to me, is Kucherov).

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Laine could not even surpass a 32yo Ovi for a Rocket.

He had all of 3 more goals than McDavid total, and 12 LESS than McDavid at ES. Yet this is the guy that is some goal scoring wizard who is going to push Ovi's legacy anywhere? Haha no

There always was, and still is, a heated debate about who was the best player of their generation between Ovi/Crosby, and it started year 1. There is no debate at all between McDavid and Laine, and for good reason. One is a mighty fine goalscorer, and PP goalscorer, and that's about it at this point, the other is already a top 5 player in the NHL, that still has Crosby/Ovi playing at a high level, and poised to be the unquestioned best player if he keeps improving even marginally over the next couple years.

I would kill to have Laine on my team, and every team in the NHL would say the same thing, but he is no where near the Ovi/Crosby/McDavid tier of player. Not saying he cant get there, but as of now, hes not even close. Maybe instead of comparing him to Ovi, we wait until he can even surpass the players on his own team first.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Wow. Pretty harsh for a guy who just turned 20. Come back in 10 years to give a fair analysis.

Why does Laine get such a pass because of his age all the time. Wow he’s a year younger then most of the other young talent he’s compared too, and looks half as impressive playing with much better players ...it’s just so impressive.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
I appreciate the fact the poster above said I put “effort” into my Laine hate posts which he respects and all, but call me a hater because I don’t like Laine being with names like mcdavid or hearing how he’s going to threaten the careers of Crosby and ovechkin. That’s ludicrous at this point.

McDavid might.

Laine though should certainly pose threat to Ovechkin's legacy. His team looks to be in a better standing than Ovechkin's when Ovechkin entered the league which gives him a better platform for success. In addition, he has a significant head start in terms of goals scored.

All this Laine threatening ovechkin s legacy stuff we get it. He goes on hot streaks where he scores tons of goals. The kid is a cerebral goal scorer playing against weaker opposition (half his goals come on a star studded power play) could he....yeah if he goes all world.

Ovechkin came into the league and in his first year took the league by storm, highlight reel goals and hits every night, over 100 pts in a garbage teams with linemates like Chris Clark and taking a Calder trophy away from sid the most hyped prospect since Lemieux kid who potted over 100 pts.

Ovechkin was every teams focus, teams don’t just focus on Laine. You can say because he’s on a stacked team. Or maybe because he’s not as good as there top line centre or RW?

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Mcdavid will need to have a great playoff resume to compete. At 21 sid already had 27 and 31 point playoff runs.

That doesent really count when sid made the playoffs and went on two cup runs to get those points when mcdavids made the playoffs once playing in two rounds.

I totally agree that he’s gonna need a lot of help to pass sid and while that’s surely an impressive stat it isn’t a good comparison stat given circumstance.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
The OP is not asking if they will be comparable. This is the OP's exact question:

Is there a chance that Ovi and Sid will be looked at as unremarkable in the future because they are dwarfed by Laine and McDavid?

I think McDavid can certainly make a career that compares with Crosby's and even surpasses it in some aspects, but I don't think that he'll overshadow him to the degree where Crosby's career "looks unremarkable because it was dwarfed." In order to make Sid look unremarkable, McDavid would have to play like Gretzky or Lemieux, and I don't think he has that in him.

Okay, but I wasn't quoting the OP. You used the term, "matched up", not unremarkable. I don't believe he needs a cup in order to be matched up against Crosby's legacy if he has a significant advantage in Art Ross and Hart trophies.

In response to the Op, nothing he does will make Crosby look unremarkable. The only player who makes other plyers look unremarkable is 99. McDavid, not matter how good, probably won't be the next great one. So we agree there. I was responding to you saying he wouldn't be comparable without a cup.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Legacy is probably the wrong term. I think if McDavid can keep healthy through his prime years he should eclipse Crosby's point totals. McDavid has all of the tools to be this generations best player each and every year.

While I think Laine might be this generations goal scorer, he will have too much competition for him to be compared to Ovechkin. And we're only comparing their goal scoring as a younger Ovechkin had a lot more tools. When you look at Matthews, McDavid and Kucherov, either one of those guys could be a multiple Rocket trophy winners. I think Laine while he may be the best goal scorer will have a lot less separation between him and the next best then OV did.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I think the OP is on to something. But not for the reasons he expressed. First of all I want to say that I think that McD when his career is over will be better then Crosby. Laine I doubt will be better the Ovi but he will probably be close. The thing is as the years go by and age reduces Crosby and Ovi to ordinary players and eventually retire a new generation of hockey fans will eventually forget or not know how good both the players were. But they will see McD and Laine in their prime and consider them better players. The reason I believe this is I have been shocked on how many people on HFboards believe that Crosby or Ovi are even close to being the dominate players that Gretzky or Lemieux were in their prime. There has been no player since them that even comes close to their skill level. They were so dominate in their prime that no player since has even come close to date. McD has a chance but I doubt he will dominate the league like they did. The fact is as years go by new generation of hockey fans forget how good past players really were so yes there is a chance that McD and Laine will sometime in the future be considered better even if they really weren't. Since both are young they may become better but that does not mean that Crosby and Ovi's legacy will not diminish over time no matter how good McD or Laine eventually get.
Yeah, this is a similar dynamic to, although a different sport, Jordan and Lebron.
Most of the people who engage in that argument didn't even see Jordan in the 80s. And I mean live, as it happened, not YouTube highlights.
It will probably be the situation you described above.

Reactions: libertarian

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Why does Laine get such a pass because of his age all the time. Wow he’s a year younger then most of the other young talent he’s compared too, and looks half as impressive playing with much better players ...it’s just so impressive.

Looks half as impressive when you usea subjective eye test. When you look at the actual numbers he is more impressive than OV at that age.

Do you go by subjective or objective? I only care about objective.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
McDavid quite possibly could rival Crosby far down the road. Laine though I feel would be a bit of a longshot to challenge Ovi's legacy (hope he proves me wrong)

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
Again, Ovechkin at the age Laine is now, had only played in RSL. I know, I followed his junior years.

I have also followed Laine and he has had OV beat 17,18,19 years old. Don't see any reason it's not going to continue at 20 as well.

Know your facts before you comment with such certainty and conviction.

Laine is the best european 18 year old ever to enter the league in points. He beat Jagrs record. Ovechkin started in the NHL as draft+3 because of the lockout. Next season is draft+3 for Laine

I said ovi was 20 in his rookie year lmao
oh you followed laine and think he is better, what a shocker, and what an argument
omg he is the best 18 year old euro, omg that must be a sufficient condition to claim laine=ovi

hit me up when laine leads the league in scoring next year because that is what ovi did in his 3rd year, or you can wait till he gets 3rd in scoring, like ovi did in his rookie year with hell of alot less help. Ovi was actually the best player on his team from day 1, unlike Laine

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
McDavid was born to be one of the legends in the game, Laine clearly not. He has a great shot and he does score goals but is he Ovi? Hell no. He has yet to score 50 let alone 60 and 65. Just not happening, give it a rest.

While McDavid is going to score points and will compete in that regards with Crosby, he is playing for Edmonton of this generation. Let’s be real here, for him to win a championship or more the whole management has to find a new magic just like Leafs did unless it won’t happen regardless of how great of a player he is and will be.

Or he can do what Tavares does if by the end of 8 years he still hasn’t won anything and leave for a better team. He is going to be paid anywhere in the hockey world.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
hit me up when laine leads the league in scoring next year because that is what ovi did in his 3rd year, or you can wait till he gets 3rd in scoring, like ovi did in his rookie year with hell of alot less help.
Laine was 2nd in goals as a 19-year-old(younger than Ovechkin when he played his first game).

Reactions: amethyst

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Laine will never be on the same level as Sid/OV. McDavid could reach both their levels, if he can stay healthy, which is something Sid had trouble with. But even he's got a LONG way to go. I would venture to say OV's status as a goalscorer is untouchable (by any current player) and Sid's playoff resume is also pretty safe.

As bold as it is to say (and I don't care), the more time goes on, the more I could see both Sid and OV challenging for top 10 players of all time. Their numbers and accomplishments are just insane for two players in the modern era. Only the big four will be clearly higher than them but, after that, there's no reason they can't be in the conversation.

That's a big hill to climb for any young player, if they want to be seen in the same light.

Last edited:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
People actually stay up at night thinking about this?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Laine isn't close to young Ovie right now. This Jets team is is stacked. Laine on the PP plays with 2 PPG+ players in Scheifele and Wheeler and even-strength wise he's played with Little (who had a down year last year but was good the year previous), Ehlers, Scheifele, and Wheeler over the past 2 seasons. Ovie in his rookie year was +49 pts and +29 goals on the next 2 players. The guy was potting 50 Gs with Jeff Halpern and Zubrus as his Cs and was a wrecking ball all over the ice. Granted Ovie started his career a little older due to the lock-out, but imo it's hard to imagine Laine nearing Ovie's accolades.

McDavid will have a hard time competing w/ Sid's playoff resume imo but I think he will rival his regular season resume when it is all said and done. I don't see McDavid having the same goal scoring prowess as Ovie.

Reactions: Garthinater

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad