Do McDavid and Laine pose any threat to Sid/Ovi's legacies?

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
Laine plays on a second line of a powerhouse team with a powerhouse top six.

He doesent have to Play on the top line against the best defenders every night like certain other younger top stars.

He scores half his goals on the power play due to his sick shot (one of his only really impressive attributes compared to other younger top stars) which has some of the best playmakers in the nhl on the unit.

If he was on the sabres for instance playing with girgensens and Pominville would he be putting up 44 26 70 in 82 like he did last year?

How on earth do you get just 26 assists in 82 games playing with the likes of ehlhers little stastny, and on that PP unit with the others? Matthews has more assists then that in just 62 games. That’s atrocious. Eichel for instance got 39 assists this year In just 67 games on the lowest scoring team. In 15 less games, 13 more assists with a bunch of bums. Infact Eichel had more pts even strength in those 67 games that Laine had total goals powerplay and even strength and he had 44 in 82, and that’s his claim to fame lol.

Theme: there are better younger players then Laine in this league. Even one on the Jets top line.

And this is the guy that’s going to challenge the legacies of Sidney Crosby and Alex ovechkin.

Have you watched hockey over or under five years? Just curious?
You do put some work into your Laine bashing posts which I can respect, but the fact is he is the best GOALSCORING prospect in a while and if anyone can challenge the amounts of goals scored by Ovie it's him.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
McDavid might.

Laine though should certainly pose threat to Ovechkin's legacy. His team looks to be in a better standing than Ovechkin's when Ovechkin entered the league which gives him a better platform for success. In addition, he has a significant head start in terms of goals scored.

Reactions: 99664987

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
If McDavid was with a different organization, it would certainly help his case. The Oilers management and staff have not been good in over a decade, and that is not going to change soon.

As for Laine, he will either win the Richard Trophy or come within striking distance to winning it in the next 5 seasons, but I doubt he will be as good as Ovechkin ever.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
McDavid will make Crosby look like a jobber after he's done with him. McDavid has already got 2 Art Rosses and is a massive favorite to win in 2018-19 as well and if Edmonton makes the playoffs he'll take home his second Hart too. So by next year you can already make a good argument that McDavid has been a better regular season player than Crosby. And McDavid will still have 10 years of his prime left after that.

With Laine it's more difficult to say. He'll face better competition for the Rocket than Ovechkin ever did so it's unlikely he'll win as many Rockets. But he's already got a massive head start on Ovechkin with 80 goals compared to 0 goals for Ovechkin at the same age. And with McDavid around and the fact that Laine doesn't seem to care about assists, it's basically impossible for him to ever win an Art Ross. My guess is Laine won't have the Trophy case of Ovechkin by the time he's 32, but he might very well have more than 607 goals by then...

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
How does a players success taint another players legacy? Makes no sense. Crosby will always be one of the best to play the game, and McDavid' success will never change that. Same for McDavid in 10 years, the new generational guy will never taint what McDavid has accomplished at that point.

Reactions: 99664987

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
The body of work just suggests otherwise.

Kinda have to go with that argument rather than your assessment. Sorry. It's more convincing.

Literally none of that suggests he is on 97/8/87 level
Ovi had 300 points in his first 3 yeas, and he was 3rd in scoring in his rookie year, so unless Laine is dropping 150 next year, he ain't close
Sid had an art Ross in his first three years
Mcdavid has 2 art rosses in his first three years
But , Laine ppg so he is so good
By laine's age, all three were already top players in the entire league. Laine ain't even a top player on his own team

Last edited:

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
You really think so he is not going to be top 2 forward on his own team? Winnipeg is a very deep team so no wonder a 20 year old isnt the best at this moment... Watch and learn

If you wanna be compared to Sid/ovi/mcdavid I don't think it's too much to ask to be the best player on your team
I'm not saying Laine isnt a great youung player, he is just an all time great young player like these three were

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
Wow. Pretty harsh for a guy who just turned 20. Come back in 10 years to give a fair analysis.
I'm pretty sure ovi was 20 in rookie year. He was 3rd in points. I guarantee that is a higher placement than what Laine does next year
Hell, look at what mcdavid is doing right freaking now at the same age. That is a Sid/ovi level player and he is rightfully being compared to them in this thread

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I'm pretty sure ovi was 20 in rookie year. He was 3rd in points. I guarantee that is a higher placement than what Laine does next year
Hell, look at what mcdavid is doing right freaking now at the same age. That is a Sid/ovi level player and he is rightfully being compared to them in this thread

Yeah. Next season Laine will be older than Ovechkin was in his rookie season and he'll have two full seasons and one deep playoff round worth of NHL experience. Yet I'd be very surprised if he finishes third in points. It's not impossible but honestly, how many of us actually believe he'll finish third in points?

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I disagree, if he wins 3/4 harts and 6/7 Art Rosses but no cup, it will be pretty tough not to make comparisons.

The OP is not asking if they will be comparable. This is the OP's exact question:

Is there a chance that Ovi and Sid will be looked at as unremarkable in the future because they are dwarfed by Laine and McDavid?

I think McDavid can certainly make a career that compares with Crosby's and even surpasses it in some aspects, but I don't think that he'll overshadow him to the degree where Crosby's career "looks unremarkable because it was dwarfed." In order to make Sid look unremarkable, McDavid would have to play like Gretzky or Lemieux, and I don't think he has that in him.

Reactions: glovesave_35
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Ya but some of the greats of last generation like Sakic Fedorov Yzerman are dwarfed by Sid and Ovi now
I really dislike this word "dwarfed". Ovechkin and Crosby have had better careers than all those players. I don't think they dwarf their accomplishments, though.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
Because Laine doesn't have the outrageous shot numbers that Ovechkin has I'm not sure he can really pour the goals in at a commensurate rate. Ovechkin shoots 4-5 times a game whereas Laine gets about 3. Laine's total shots attempted last year was 80% of Ovechkin's lowest total ever in a full season.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Now that Ovi has his cup and Smythe both Sid and Ovi have their legacies locked down. But the worrying thing is a player like Jagr who won 5 art Rosses in a row loses to Sid now very clearly on the polls. Jagr despite everything he did has almost been replaced by Sid in the eyes of the new generation. But the players are different enough that Sid can not damage Jagr's legacy even if some seem him as better.

McDavid and Laine's favorite players are Sid and Ovi. They play a similar style to them. Is there a chance that Ovi and Sid will be looked at as unremarkable in the future because they are dwarfed by Laine and McDavid? Is there a chance that their legacies will crumble? Or are they safe? Or just Ovi? Or just Sid?

I have seen it time and again. They will still get respect but after they have been out of the league for 10 years Sid and Ovi are going to be looked at like Yzerman and Sakic, all time greats but right now people look at Crosby and Ovechkin as being better than they were by a lot. The same thing could happen when Sid and Ovi are just a memory.

The bias of being in the moment has to pass. So in short, while those guys are in their peak, maybe they displace Crosby and Ovechkin for 10 or so years until their time passes and they take their place in history. Maybe not, Crosby and Ovechkin have done so much more than they have, they need do the same things.

On top of that, I can't say how I could possibly know that they won't be better than SId and Ovi, maybe that happens too. I say let's just enjoy watching them play and let history figure that out later.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Literally none of that suggests he is on 97/8/87 level
Ovi had 300 points in his first 3 yeas, and he was 3rd in scoring in his rookie year, so unless Laine is dropping 150 next year, he ain't close
Sid had an art Ross in his first three years
Mcdavid has 2 art rosses in his first three years
But , Laine ppg so he is so good
By laine's age, all three were already top players in the entire league. Laine ain't even a top player on his own team

Ovechkins first year is comparable to Laine in his 3rd season, due to age.

There is one player in Jets who can be considered better so far and that is Scheifele who was nowhere near Laines level at his age.. When those two played together Laine was outscoring Scheifele slightly.

Laine has 80 goals in NHL at the age when Ovechkin had 0.

Last edited:

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Laine has very little chance of catching Ovi.

McDavid has a realistic chance of eclipsing Crosby if he stays healthy.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Laine has very little chance of catching Ovi.

McDavid has a realistic chance of eclipsing Crosby if he stays healthy.

At this age he has 80 more NHL goals than Ovie did. Let's keep facts straight when making head to head comparisons. Most would consider era too but we don't have to.

Timeless Winter

SaveD the Crew
Oct 13, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
I didn't realize I entered a bash Laine thread. Did he turn so popular that he's not a trendy player to like since he's not under the radar anymore??
He's had quite an impressive career thus far. Just to be compared in the company of Sid and Ovi is a compliment.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
At this age he has 80 more NHL goals than Ovie did. Let's keep facts straight when making head to head comparisons. Most would consider era too but we don't have to.

What the hell does era have to do with it? Where was I not keeping facts straight? Laine is great. And has very little chance of matching Ovi’s career.

Reactions: Garthinater

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Why would McDavid and Laine having great careers effect the legacy of other players with great careers? I don't get it.

HF007

Sep 9, 2008

Will laine win be winning rocket trophies a decade later? Doubt it.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
laine lmao
he is not close to the same tier of player, and im confident that will never change
buddy isn't even a top 2 forward on his own team
Agree except for the bolded, he does have a chance to become that player it’s just unlikely. More likely he’s just a consistent rocket threat and not much else as a player.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
You do put some work into your Laine bashing posts which I can respect, but the fact is he is the best GOALSCORING prospect in a while and if anyone can challenge the amounts of goals scored by Ovie it's him.

Not only is Matthews a better player, he's also a better goal scorer.

With additional PP time and health this year I think he will win the Rocket.

Laine's shot and goal scoring are basically all he has to his game, this is why people hone in on him being "the best GOALSCORING prospect in a while". Yet Matthews is scoring at the same rates while doing it at even strength but his game is so good in many aspects that his goal scoring isn't talked about as much.

Reactions: Kelly

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Ovechkin's legacy is distinct from McDavid's. I'm sure McDavid will have some great scoring seasons, but I don't see him having 55+ goal or consistent 50 goal seasons like Ovechkin. There really won't be any reason to compare those two.

Crosby and McDavid will be more comparable, but neither would hurt each other's legacy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad