Do Boston, Toronto and Tampa repeat as top 3 in Atlantic?

Do Boston, Toronto and Tampa finish top 3 in Atlantic this year (in whatever order)?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Florida are being overrated ITT imo. Top 3 stays the same. Order might change, but if it stays the same, I wouldn't be surprised.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I think if any fall out of the top 3 it will be Boston.
I would agree with that. I don't expect it to happen but it could.

Why?

They're a team very heavily dependant on one line at forward. And the glue of that line is 33 years old. He's also been somewhat fragile in his career.

They've also got a 41 or 42 year old dman that logs a lot of minutes for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: HoBOonFiRE

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
There have been several posters who pointed out that the GA was a result of good goaltending, not good defending, in other threads. This was explained to you.

Also, you’re exaggerating, again, that the universe conspired against the Leafs by suggesting many believe they are a bottom five team defensively. They aren’t, but they aren’t a top ten team either.
And as was explained to those posters, Andersen did not post any particularly strong numbers. Those posters you are mentioining stated Andersen "Stood on his head" all year. Uh, no he did not. Good season no doubt, but far from great. He posted .918 save %. That's his career average, and good, but not great overall.
It's a myth that's been destroyed FYI.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Tampa has a Norris winning defenseman and a Vezina finalist goaltender. Of course you would think Toronto is better.
But you just said Andersen was the reason for the Leafs being top 3 in GA in the East and better than Tampa.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
They're easily the best 3 teams in the division and I don't think it's close, Florida is solid as well but I'd count Toronto, Boston, and Tampa all among the top ~8 teams in the league or so. If they're healthy I think those 3 teams easily repeat but if one of those teams runs into serious injury trouble I think Florida could pass them. Boston is the most susceptible I think, Bergeron is really important to that team and he's had some injury trouble in recent years. Krejci is fine but the Bruins C depth without Bergeron is a lot worse than what Toronto or Tampa could run if Matthews/Stamkos got hurt.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
And as was explained to those posters, Andersen did not post any particularly strong numbers. Those posters you are mentioining stated Andersen "Stood on his head" all year. Uh, no he did not. Good season no doubt, but far from great. He posted .918 save %. That's his career average, and good, but not great overall.

Your backup goalie did, which was the difference between TO's and Tampa's GA, because their backups were garbage. Best high danger save % in the league with a minimum of 15 games.

Andersen was also 8th in the league in GSAA, (goals saved above average) and McElhiney was 13th.

TOR 1718 5v5 Shot Locations (Against)

Not saying your defense is as bad as HFBoards makes it out to be, but it certainly wasn't third best in the east.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Your backup goalie did, which was the difference between TO's and Tampa's GA, because their backups were garbage. Best high danger save % in the league with a minimum of 15 games.

Andersen was also 8th in the league in 5v5 GSAA, (goals saved above average) and McElhiney was 13th.

Not saying your defense is as bad as HFBoards makes it out to be, but it certainly wasn't third best in the east.

Not all back up goalies suck ass, it's not a fault if their back-up plays well.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

Myths been destroyed: Andersen faced the most shots of any goaltender in the NHL, via hockey reference.com

So no, the Leafs defence is not great. A great defence wouldn’t allow that many shots.

Before you go on about shot quality and perimeter shots, that’s been bunked too. The Leafs D group allowed a high percentage of shots in the slot.

I’m pretty sure Romang67 already went in this with you, with much more detail than this post. I’m not shocked you didn’t take anything away from it.

And another poster pointed it out: the Leafs had good goaltending via backup too.

But you just said Andersen was the reason for the Leafs being top 3 in GA in the East and better than Tampa.

Are you suggesting that you’d take the Leafs defence over the Lightning Defence?

What I said in both cases were not wrong.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Myths been destroyed: Andersen faced the most shots of any goaltender in the NHL, via hockey reference.com

So no, the Leafs defence is not great. A great defence wouldn’t allow that many shots.

Before you go on about shot quality and perimeter shots, that’s been bunked too. The Leafs D group allowed a high percentage of shots in the slot.

I’m pretty sure Romang67 already went in this with you, with much more detail than this post. I’m not shocked you didn’t take anything away from it.

Are you suggesting that you’d take the Leafs defence over the Lightning Defence?

What I said in both cases were not wrong.
This is correct. He also started the most games and played the most minutes, via hockey reference.com
Toronto's career backup with that same D had better numbers than Andersen did FYI.

And it is documented Leafs allowed a low % of high danger shots.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

Andersen was also 8th in the league in GSAA, (goals saved above average) and McElhiney was 13th.

Leafs backup was on waivers the previous season. Yet he did better than Andersen. Why is that? Maybe the D isn't that bad?

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Florida has a loaded top 6 and could definitely break into the top 3 if they stay healthy but I voted yes for now. Boston is probably most in danger of losing their spot.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Because goalies have crazy one off years. It's the most volatile position in hockey. How elite was Ottawa's D when Hammond carried them to a playoffs?
Why is it with the Leafs there's always excuses to try to explain the low GA? I don't see that with any other team in terms of people trying so hard to discredit a stat.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
If I had to bet my life on one of these answers...I'd say no.

I don't see which team is going to fall or which team is going to rise up and steal that spot, but I think it's more likely than not. One of the four written off teams or Florida is going to surprise and one of the three top teams isn't going to be as good.

It's not quite as good of an example since it wasn't quite as much of a consensus, but remember that going into this season the vast majority of people thought Edmonton-Anaheim-Calgary were the clear top 3 of the Pacific.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad