Do Boston, Toronto and Tampa repeat as top 3 in Atlantic?

Do Boston, Toronto and Tampa finish top 3 in Atlantic this year (in whatever order)?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Well, losing Komarov and Polak is a gigantic plus. Also, losing Bozak/JVR means that no line in our top-9 needs to be fed sheltered offensive minutes all game.

Losing everyone of those guys is probably a net plus besides JVR.

JVR was only a plus 1, this past year.
I was happy to see these players go (not in the shootout though), because as many have said, they're defensively deficient.
Komarov and Polak, though loved are ineffective.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Of the 4 teams everyone is dismissing, I think Montreal does have a shot. Only because goaltending can cover up a lot of problems and it's always possible Price bounces back and performs like the best in the world again.

Mtl's success will come on the backs of 1-0, 2-0 and 2-1 games.
Their fans are even saying Price only had really one good year.
He's also 31

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
What's this based off? Certainly not stats.

The hope that Donato and Bjork make the impact that DeBrusk and Heinen did. Bjork was the Bruins best prospect not named Charlie heading into last season and he played well in the top 6 before getting injured. The goal going into last season was to break up 63/37/88. They will try again this season.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
The hope that Donato and Bjork make the impact that DeBrusk and Heinen did. Bjork was the Bruins best prospect not named Charlie heading into last season and he played well in the top 6 before getting injured. The goal going into last season was to break up 63/37/88. They will try again this season.

If Boston can break up that top line and still get results, they are going to be a lean mean machine. If they rely on the top line again, I dont think it will work out as well as it did this year.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I think it's a 4-way battle this season. I do acknowledge that i seem higher than the majority here on Florida.

Reactions: BruinsBtn

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
What's this based off? Certainly not stats.
They have plenty of good secondary scoring. Krejci, Heinen, DeBrusk, Donato, and lots of bottom 6 guys who can chip in. Plenty of decent prospects too. They're not as deep as the Leafs or Tampa, those are two of the deepest offenses in the league, but the Bruins are certainly not suffering for depth. And the ratio of scoring is definitely going to be skewed when they've got the best line in the league eating up a boatload of minutes and PP time.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Ill go further and say that not only will the top 3 stay at the top, but 3 of Montreal, Buffalo, Ottawa and Detroit will remain in the bottom 5 of the standings

I also think Florida could steal a wildcard spot

They have potentially 5 60+ forwards and Borgstrom& Tippett in the lineup, they certainly should make that push.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If Boston can break up that top line and still get results, they are going to be a lean mean machine. If they rely on the top line again, I dont think it will work out as well as it did this year.
Based on what? A gut feeling? It worked out last year. Why would that change?
Having a top line that not only scores a lot but also shuts down other teams top lines is a double threat that no other team has. Boston would be crazy to break up the top line.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
TBay
Boston
Toronto
Florida

Could change with injuries to key players. I’m not quite sold on Florida yet although they have made some improvements and look to be building a good team.

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
I think Buffalo will be a better team than Florida going into the season.

Yeah of course, a team that traded their starting goalie, 2nd best forward and their best winger, will for some reason be better than a team that's arguably better at every position.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
No. NHL is so random that it's likely that at least one of them drops.

How often do the three expected leaders of a division actually end up the top three? Not a rhetorical guestion.

Reactions: Koivu11

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Simple question.

Do Boston, Toronto and Tampa repeat as top 3 ranked teams in the Atlantic Division this year? In whatever order.

If you vote for options 2 or 3 - feel free to say who you think bumps them, who gets bumped, and if you feel that the team(s) that get bumped still qualify for playoffs as a wildcard or if they miss playoffs entirely.

Recency bias-being what it is on HF - I expect 80% of people to vote for option 1. I personally will vote option 2. I expect Boston to miss playoffs this year.
Why do you think Boston will get worse? Makes no sense, they have a young and up and coming team with lots of good young players and prospects coming up.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
No. NHL is so random that it's likely that at least one of them drops.

How often do the three expected leaders of a division actually end up the top three? Not a rhetorical guestion.

Well considering how elite the top 3 teams are and how bad the rest of the division is outside of florida its a bit of a unique situation.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Oh I hate Boston so it's definitely wishful thinking that they suck :)

But it's also based on the fact that prior to last season, they had had a very underwhelming 2-3 season stretch, and seemed to be on the decline. I'm not sure yet if last year confirms they are again a top team, or was more of a lucky season.

I'll say this - if they have another great season this year, i'll be more inclined to predict good things for them the following year.
So much wrong with this lol they finished ahead of Toronto two seasons in a row... two seasons ago they had amazing underlying advanced stats. Your argument makes no sense if you dont include toronto in it.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Why do you think Boston will get worse? Makes no sense, they have a young and up and coming team with lots of good young players and prospects coming up.

So much wrong with this lol they finished ahead of Toronto two seasons in a row... two seasons ago they had amazing underlying advanced stats. Your argument makes no sense if you dont include toronto in it.

I was very underwhelmed how Boston seemed to disappoint in the past few seasons. They missed the playoffs on the last day of the season almost 2x in a row. Then they lost in round 1 a year ago. And last year (fantastic season of course) - they were never really in it vs Tampa in the playoffs.

Toronto - for starters I absolutely love Tavares. So I expect great things there. Second, I like their coach a lot, and feel they have improved and even exceeded expectations every year recently. They made the playoffs 2 years ago when they weren't really expected to, and last season I expected them to be a bubble team and instead had another great season.

Mostly though - it simply comes down to things change from year to year. Every season teams expected to makes playoffs/dominate falter, and teams expected to be bottom feeders excel and contend. So as a result i expect one of the 3 teams to falter, and my guess is Boston. It probably helps that I hate Boston.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I was very underwhelmed how Boston seemed to disappoint in the past few seasons. They missed the playoffs on the last day of the season almost 2x in a row. Then they lost in round 1 a year ago. And last year (fantastic season of course) - they were never really in it vs Tampa in the playoffs.

Toronto - for starters I absolutely love Tavares. So I expect great things there. Second, I like their coach a lot, and feel they have improved and even exceeded expectations every year recently. They made the playoffs 2 years ago when they weren't really expected to, and last season I expected them to be a bubble team and instead had another great season.

Mostly though - it simply comes down to things change from year to year. Every season teams expected to makes playoffs/dominate falter,
nd teams expected to be bottom feeders excel and contend. So as a result i expect one of the 3 teams to falter, and my guess is Boston. It probably helps that I hate Boston.

Boston was decimated by injuries against Ottawa still went to o.t 4 of the 6 games and Ottawa turned out to be a pretty tough opponent during that run they had.

McAvoy is only going to get better and better here he will be a Norris contending D eventually, Carlo, Debrusk etc are going to get better too. If Krejci and Bergeron stay healthy they will compete for the division no doubt in my mind.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
yea, but that 1st line is imo the best in the NHL. It has 3 players who would be the best player on at least 15 teams in the NHL and has perfect balance. They have a sniper with 40+ goal talent, a 60+ point pest who is willing to get dirty in the corners, and an elite 2 way center in between them. There is really no way to counter it because it has the skill and balance to play any style the opponent wants.

Point, Palat, and Johnson sure found a way to counter it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad