Do Boston, Toronto and Tampa repeat as top 3 in Atlantic?

Do Boston, Toronto and Tampa finish top 3 in Atlantic this year (in whatever order)?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Barring some major injuries, I think the top 3 is unchanged. Florida makes the playoffs this year as a wild card though.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
I'm one who think the Leafs might even have a lower point total than last year. Yes they got Tavares, but also lost JVR, Bozak, Komarov, and Polak.
Johnson, Kapanen, Dermot, maybe Borgman will get a chance to play big minutes for the first time. Also rookies Lindholm, Ozhignkov and Sparks might be NHLers too.
Leafs might be better at the end of the season that they were last year, but there might be bumps on the road along the way.
Yes the "Tampa, Boston, Leafs and Panthers make the playoffs.

Lower than our best point total ever? Things could be worse.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
What's the outlook for Florida's defense heading into this season?

Same as last season, only addition and wild card addition is KHL Kiselevich.

So could say they are hoping Matheson& Ekblad will get better and improve the defense.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Same as last season, only addition and wild card addition is KHL Kiselevich.

So could say they are hoping Matheson& Ekblad will get better and improve the defense.

This would be my biggest concern for people suggesting Florida has outright surpassed Boston. Boston was much better defensively and added a guy who played top-4 minutes in John Moore to play a third pairing role. McAvoy and Carlo taking steps forward seems like a good bet as well.

Also the same people counting on Boston’s core to already be over the hill seem to forget Florida employs a 39 year old starter.

kyle o connor

enjoying first line highlife
Apr 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
I think Florida rises up and takes a top 3 spot. The most likely candidate to fall is Toronto because they have the weakest goaltending/defense of the 3. Toronto still likely makes the playoffs again but gets steamrolled by Tampa or 1st in the Metro in the 1st round.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
This would be my biggest concern for people suggesting Florida has outright surpassed Boston. Boston was much better defensively and added a guy who played top-4 minutes in John Moore to play a third pairing role. McAvoy and Carlo taking steps forward seems like a good bet as well.

Also the same people counting on Boston’s core to already be over the hill seem to forget Florida employs a 39 year old starter.

Defense/goaltending is the biggest question mark with Florida definitely.

Their offense should see a clear boost from the last year though, with ppg 2way C and 5 60+ forwards& Borgstrom& Tippett looking to step in as well, lack of quality depth on offense hurt them bad last year. This is potentially a strenght for them over Boston next year, where as Boston has the clear edge defensively/on goaltending.

I have Florida 4th on the division right now, with injuries the rankings could change.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I think Florida rises up and takes a top 3 spot. The most likely candidate to fall is Toronto because they have the weakest goaltending/defense of the 3. Toronto still likely makes the playoffs again but gets steamrolled by Tampa or 1st in the Metro in the 1st round.
The Panthers don't have D or goaltending concerns? The Leafs D and goaltending is better than Florida's and Toronto just added a superstar #1 C.
Not sure why Toronto's D is such a concern when a team like Florida clearly has bigger issues.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The Panthers don't have D or goaltending concerns? The Leafs D and goaltending is better than Florida's and Toronto just added a superstar #1 C.
Not sure why Toronto's D is such a concern when a team like Florida clearly has bigger issues.
Hey don't forget we actually let in less GA than Tampa last year too! Maybe we might *gasp* have better defense/goaltending than Tampa?!?!

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I don’t think ‘many’ have said they are bottom 5. I’d say they are about middle of the pack.
I mean that is a pretty reasonable take I feel like most Leaf fans would agree with....There are definitely a number of posters that seem to think the Leafs are bottom tier defensively or need to get a norris calibre defensemen in order to compete which is where the arguments begin. If the Leafs are able to settle in the 10-15 range in goals against with a top 5 offense in the league they can compete for a cup....If it slips to the back half of the league that's where it becomes a tougher task.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Maybe not but the Leafs aren't bottom 5 like many believe.
Their GA was better than Tampa all year.

There have been several posters who pointed out that the GA was a result of good goaltending, not good defending, in other threads. This was explained to you.

Also, you’re exaggerating, again, that the universe conspired against the Leafs by suggesting many believe they are a bottom five team defensively. They aren’t, but they aren’t a top ten team either.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I'll play the odds and say one of the 3 teams has injury troubles plus Florida has a strong season, so the Panthers get one of those top 3 spots

Reactions: bert

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
I'm going by results buddy, unlike you. Results say Toronto > Tampa.

That’s such a narrow minded way of looking at it and you know it.

In no way, shape, or form, does Toronto have a better defense than Tampa.

Andersen got shelled with shots last year. GA is not a good indicator of how good our defense is here.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Yes, I think Leafs finish either 1st or 2nd in Atlantic. Either way they aren't finishing any lower than 3rd and the same goes for the Bruins and Lightning.

Although it wouldn't surprise me to see the Panthers finish top 3, I mean they finished with 96 points, they aren't a bad team if a few more bounces went their way FLA is a 100 point team themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: bert

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yes, I think Leafs finish either 1st or 2nd in Atlantic. Either way they aren't finishing any lower than 3rd and the same goes for the Bruins and Lightning.

Although it wouldn't surprise me to see the Panthers finish top 3, I mean they finished with 96 points, they aren't a bad team if a few more bounces went their way FLA is a 100 point team themselves.
Agreed. Florida is the dark horse. I have trouble seeing them unseat any of the top 3 but I think the Bruins are the most likely candidate for dropping. A key injury probably impacts them the most IMO. Injuries could definitely impact things.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Went with option 2. Could see injuries bringing one of the top 3 down to the wildcard spot.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Probably for the next couple years.
Tampa and Boston are simply two of the best teams out there.
Toronto seems to have closed the gap but want to wait at least a few games before knowing whether they fixed some of their difficulties or if Tavares washes them over.

I think the division will be around the same next year. Tampa and Boston around 110+ points. Toronto playing a bit of catch-up and fending off Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->