Do Boston, Toronto and Tampa repeat as top 3 in Atlantic?

Do Boston, Toronto and Tampa finish top 3 in Atlantic this year (in whatever order)?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Florida has a loaded top 6 and could definitely break into the top 3 if they stay healthy but I voted yes for now. Boston is probably most in danger of losing their spot.
They had a horrible start last season but came on really strong. I don't think there's as big a gap as many seem to feel there is.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Probably because there's a certain poster that continues to misuse GA as proof that the Leafs had a better defense than they did last year?

:eek:

GA is the total result of how effective goal tending and defense were combined. Leafs have Freddy who finished 4th in Vezina voting and a defense that is deemed one of the worst by "neutral fans" and it resulted in the 3rd best in the East. Better than Washington, Tampa, and Pittsburgh.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
They had a horrible start last season but came on really strong. I don't think there's as big a gap as many seem to feel there is.

Kitties may turn some heads.
They're also the Panthers, and can easily find a way to f*** that up.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I dunno, the fourth most shots allowed all season by your team seems like good enough proof but you keep ignoring it.
How is that proof? You can't decide if Andersen stood on his head or not. They allowed a low amount of high danger shots: ie they were easy saves.
Are you aware of the fact the Leafs will be viewed everywhere outside of HF as a major cup contender right now?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
How is that proof? You can't decide if Andersen stood on his head or not. They allowed a low amount of high danger shots: ie they were easy saves.
Are you aware of the fact the Leafs will be viewed everywhere outside of HF as a major cup contender right now?
Here is the proof in a form that you may understand:
TOR 1718 5v5 Shot Locations (Against)

That's a lot of high danger chances they gave up.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa

You may as well not even bother. The posters that continue to cite GA as proof of good defense will disregard any in depth discussion surrounding it.

I’m a Leaf fan too, but it’s easy to admit there’s a glaring weakness on the back end that may ultimately set other top teams in the East apart from the Leafs. It doesn’t mean the Leafs aren’t a contender, but there is a problem that they may not be able to out score.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
You may as well not even bother. The posters that continue to cite GA as proof of good defense will disregard any in depth discussion surrounding it.

I’m a Leaf fan too, but it’s easy to admit there’s a glaring weakness on the back end that may ultimately set other top teams in the East apart from the Leafs. It doesn’t mean the Leafs aren’t a contender, but there is a problem that they may not be able to out score.
It's a shame more leaf fans don't realize this.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Strange that so many think Andersen "stood on his head" all season to get his 2.81 GAA and .918 Save%.
Then in 18 games,,,,McIilerney has 2.15 GAA, .935 Save %.
Somehow the critics of Leaf defence, say the Leaf Dmen were so bad, but they finished 13th overall in GAA with similar stats to up champs Washington.
Yep, there is room improvement for sure, but it's not like they have to replace six Dmen

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

Yet Shots allowed means more than GA. What in-depth discussion is that exactly?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Strange that so many think Andersen "stood on his head" all season to get his 2.81 GAA and .918 Save%.
Then in 18 games,,,,McIilerney has 2.15 GAA, .935 Save %.

Somehow the critics of Leaf defence, say the Leaf Dmen were so bad, but they finished 13th overall in GAA with similar stats to up champs Washington.
Yep, there is room improvement for sure, but it's not like they have to replace six Dmen
Exactly.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
This "the Leafs defense is actually good" feels just like back when the Kessel Leafs were out preforming their Corsi and Leafs fans were telling everyone it was about shot quality.

In the regular season, against regular teams, the Leafs can get by with mediocre D because they prevent goals by playing offense. But, in the playoffs they are not that much better than everyone else to get away with that. It is just that simple. Leafs D got exposed by a team they dominated in the regular season. Weird how that happens. Almost like its different hockey.

And "but look, the backup!" arguments are just the worst. Ah yes, the rested backup who usually plays against lesser comp has good numbers in a small sample size. Proof!

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
This "the Leafs defense is actually good" feels just like back when the Kessel Leafs were out preforming their Corsi and Leafs fans were telling everyone it was about shot quality.

In the regular season, against regular teams, the Leafs can get by with mediocre D because they prevent goals by playing offense. But, in the playoffs they are not that much better than everyone else to get away with that. It is just that simple. Leafs D got exposed by a team they dominated in the regular season. Weird how that happens. Almost like its different hockey.

And "but look, the backup!" arguments are just the worst. Ah yes, the rested backup who usually plays against lesser comp has good numbers in a small sample size. Proof!
Sorry, but anyone who watched that series knows that every playoff series the Leafs won't lose Kadri to a 3 game suspension and virtually all of their core players won't play poorly.
You really think the Leafs lost that series only because of D? Andersen gave the Leafs the WORST goaltending out of 16 playoff series. .896 Save %. And they still had the lead going in the 3rd with all of that happening.
Tavares will make a massive difference.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Sorry, but anyone who watched that series knows that every playoff series the Leafs won't lose Kadri to a 3 game suspension and virtually all of their core players won't play poorly.
You really think the Leafs lost that series only because of D? Andersen gave the Leafs the WORST goaltending out of 16 playoff series. .896 Save %. And they still had the lead going in the 3rd with all of that happening.
Tavares will make a massive difference.

Everyone talks about the .896 but no one points to all these bad goals he gave up. His save % was that because of game 2. I saw turnovers from Matthews, Bruins alone in front, breakdowns in coverage in the D zone...

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Everyone talks about the .896 but no one points to all these bad goals he gave up. His save % was that because of game 2. I saw turnovers from Matthews, Bruins alone in front, breakdowns in coverage in the D zone...
I mean the go ahead goal to DeBrusk in game 7 was an extremely bad goal to give up. Barely anything on it head on and straight through the 5 hole. He was either great or absolutely awful in that series and there wasnt any in between.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

Look at the post below.

I’m not talking about “everywhere outside of HF sees the Leafs as contenders.”. Stop going off track.

ARE you purposely ignoring this information?

If you allow more high quality shots, which you said that the Leafs didn’t (that myths been destroyed FYI) it will lead to more goals.

I feel like you’re not addressing this point because it ruins your narrative.

Last edited:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
He was brutal. It was not just game 2 at all.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Look at the post below.

I’m not talking about “everywhere outside of HF sees the Leafs as contenders.”. Stop going off track.

ARE you purposely ignoring this information?

If you allow more high quality shots, which you said that the Leafs didn’t (that myths been destroyed FYI) it will lead to more goals.

I feel like you’re not addressing this point because it ruins your narrative.

Don't you see? Shots from the slot are not "high danger", only shots from the blue paint. :sarcasm:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
It's pretty obvious to anyone taking an objective look at the Leafs that they haven't been a strong defensive team at all really. Give up far to many shots and a big reason for that is just failing to make a good first pass and ending up pinned in because of it. Happened countless times last season. The only point that I seem to argue with people is that the Leafs absolutely need a true number one defensemen in order to compete. I find a lot of people on HF identify problems and get completely narrow minded in how the best way to actually address that problem.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
It's pretty obvious to anyone taking an objective look at the Leafs that they haven't been a strong defensive team at all really. Give up far to many shots and a big reason for that is just failing to make a good first pass and ending up pinned in because of it. Happened countless times last season. The only point that I seem to argue with people is that the Leafs absolutely need a true number one defensemen in order to compete. I find a lot of people on HF identify problems and get completely narrow minded in how the best way to actually address that problem.

You don’t need an elite #1D. But if you don’t you need a top 4 with minimal weakness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad