Do Boston, Toronto and Tampa repeat as top 3 in Atlantic?

Do Boston, Toronto and Tampa finish top 3 in Atlantic this year (in whatever order)?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

member 157595

I think most of us were surprised at just how successful the Bruins were last season but it goes back further than that really - ever since Claude left (still one of our greatest coaches ever) the Bruins turned a 180. The Bruins went from mostly defensive structure to a three zone transition effort and the Bergeron line, Krug, the kids all excelled from it.

I think it will continue barring injury. As for the Krejci/second line dilemma, we shall see. The first line alone makes it a playoff team with Chara/Krug/McAvoy and Rask.

I think Boston's deeper than some give them credit for. Their talented youth are starting to fill out the lineup.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I think most of us were surprised at just how successful the Bruins were last season but it goes back further than that really - ever since Claude left (still one of our greatest coaches ever) the Bruins turned a 180. The Bruins went from mostly defensive structure to a three zone transition effort and the Bergeron line, Krug, the kids all excelled from it.

I think it will continue barring injury. As for the Krejci/second line dilemma, we shall see. The first line alone makes it a playoff team with Chara/Krug/McAvoy and Rask.
IMO the biggest threat to the Bruins is whether or not the top line can score 38% of the teams goals like they did last season. No other team relied so heavily on one line. I don't buy into the regression theories around age, but I do question if that line can drag the rest of the team to a 100+ point finish again.

Toronto's top line: 26%
Tampa's top line: 31%

I think Boston's deeper than some give them credit for. Their talented youth are starting to fill out the lineup.

What's this based off? Certainly not stats.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I know everyone who's voting no is saying Florida.

I'm actually predicting one of the other 4 teams qualifies for the playoffs. I could see Montreal on the back of Price making noise (of course i'm a habs fan so i'm bias) or possibly Buffalo finally putting it together. Even Detroit is a dark horse

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Of the 4 teams everyone is dismissing, I think Montreal does have a shot. Only because goaltending can cover up a lot of problems and it's always possible Price bounces back and performs like the best in the world again.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I think it's likely the top 3 remain the same but would be a mistake to sleep on Buffalo. This year probably won't be their year, but I expect Buffalo will make some strides this coming season.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
It's unlikely, things change too much year to year. The season before last Tampa missed the playoffs and Ottawa was a top 3 team.

Reactions: bobholly39

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Of the 4 teams everyone is dismissing, I think Montreal does have a shot. Only because goaltending can cover up a lot of problems and it's always possible Price bounces back and performs like the best in the world again.
Luongo was just as good as Price is now during his initial run with the Panthers. He couldn't drag that team to the playoffs because there wasn't enough scoring on the roster. The Habs have that same problem especially now that Weber is out for most if not all of the season.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Luongo was just as good as Price is now during his initial run with the Panthers. He couldn't drag that team to the playoffs because there wasn't enough scoring on the roster. The Habs have that same problem especially now that Weber is out for most if not all of the season.

No question about the Habs scoring problem, but the Luongo anecdote doesn't sway me. If Price puts up a .933 SV% like he did in 14-15, I'm confident the Habs will make the playoffs. Of course that's a huge ask of him and I don't expect it. But I can at least see a path, albeit unlikely, for the Habs having success. I really can't with the other three teams people are dismissing.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Voted yes but man are people stupidly confident all the bad teams last year will be bad next year for a sport as volatile as this....

Reactions: bobholly39

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Also - regarding Boston and Winnipeg. Going into last season, by HF Boston was ranked 18th Stanley cup favorite, and Winnipeg 19th. Edmonton was #2. This was from a series of polls that was conducted right before the season started. Here's the link:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2018-stanley-cup-favourite-22.2383803/

So yeah - things change a lot from year to year, and it's hardly only a couple of fringe posters who didn't see Bos/Winnipeg coming. It was a majority opinion around here.

Teams you think suck (Buffalo, Mtl, Ottawa & Detroit) often skyrocket, and teams you think should dominate (Boston, Tor, Tampa) can often falter. Just as happened last year

Winnipeg had one of the best depths in the league on paper last summer(said that year ago already), they had maybe the best wing depth in the league with franchise C and one of Buff/Trouba/Myers always on the ice.
They had the talent to go far, the question was can they click 17-18 already.

Boston had re-tooled for few seasons and had multiple franchise players on the roster, comparing those 2 teams to Montreal/Ottawa/Buffalo doesn't make any sense.

I think it's likely the top 3 remain the same but would be a mistake to sleep on Buffalo. This year probably won't be their year, but I expect Buffalo will make some strides this coming season.

Worst team in the league, mid season gave up one of their best wingers and this summer their 2nd best forward who was playing some of the toughest minutes in the league, have nothing proven at net still.

I don't get the improved logic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ookhaab

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Ill go further and say that not only will the top 3 stay at the top, but 3 of Montreal, Buffalo, Ottawa and Detroit will remain in the bottom 5 of the standings

I also think Florida could steal a wildcard spot

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Ill go further and say that not only will the top 3 stay at the top, but 3 of Montreal, Buffalo, Ottawa and Detroit will remain in the bottom 5 of the standings

I also think Florida could steal a wildcard spot
I really don't get the O'Reilly trade. That dude is a hell of a gamer.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Polak, although he had a good stretch while being carried by Dermott is one of the worst defenseman in the entire NHL. Carrick is arguably our best RD (yes, over Zaitsev/Hainsey).

If Carrick is the best RHD on the team, maybe Babcock should be fired. Carrick was used so little late in the season and the playoffs.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
No question about the Habs scoring problem, but the Luongo anecdote doesn't sway me. If Price puts up a .933 SV% like he did in 14-15, I'm confident the Habs will make the playoffs. Of course that's a huge ask of him and I don't expect it. But I can at least see a path, albeit unlikely, for the Habs having success. I really can't with the other three teams people are dismissing.
in 03/04 Luongo put up a 2.31 SV % and a 2.43 GAA. The Panthers finished with 75 points. I don't think the Habs are that level bad, but they are easily one of the bottom 7ish rosters in the NHL and that's with Pacioretty. It's going to take Price having a Vezina season plus a couple players blossoming into 60+ point players for the Habs to be in the playoff race.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
If Carrick is the best RHD on the team, maybe Babcock should be fired. Carrick was used so little late in the season and the playoffs.

Babcock just doesn't like him. Similar situation to Leivo, except Carrick has actually proved himself to be at minimum an ok top-4 guy or a great 6.

He suppresses shots/chances and generates shots/chances much better than both Hainsey and Zaitsev.

Reactions: loyaltotheend

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I really don't get the O'Reilly trade. That dude is a hell of a gamer.

He is a gamer, and I get the impression that makes him very difficult to manage when he’s on a bad team. Or at least, I hope that’s the only reason he seems to rub management the wrong way.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Babcock just doesn't like him. Similar situation to Leivo, except Carrick has actually proved himself to be at minimum an ok top-4 guy or a great 6.

He suppresses shots/chances and generates shots/chances much better than both Hainsey and Zaitsev.

Hey, Leafs management and fans hope you're right. Leafs need one of Carrick, Holl, Ozhignokov to step up and play NHL minutes this season. One thing I kinda object with Babcock's coaching is that some of the "extras" never see the ice. Awful difficult to play up to NHL speed if you have been sitting in the press box for weeks.
In the Washington series, Polak was injured and then Marincin came in and played I believe his second game in six weeks. He was burned a few times and fans were really on him. Admitting he isn't that good but how could he up to NHL playoff speed after sitting out so long.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
probably

but you never know,all it takes is a couple major injuries and some bad team performing better than expected and pretty much anyone could theoretically finish above pretty much anyone else

i'd be shocked if they didn't at the very minimum make up 2 of the top 3 though

Reactions: dukeofjive
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad