Disney Star Wars General Discussion

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
There isn't a single frame in the entirety of the trilogy that has any value.

I wouldn't go that far. I get goosebumps when "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." appears on screen, followed by "STAR WARS" in yellow to the blaring of John Williams' epic score... before the text crawl appears and my heart sinks. That's a solid 20 seconds in each movie or 1440 total frames in the trilogy. That's a lot of frames.

Last edited:
Reactions: RobBrown4PM

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
There isn't a single frame in the entirety of the trilogy that has any value.

I think aesthetically the trilogy did a lot rights. It was a really cool looking trilogy. Force Awakens was at least a little bit intriguing so I think I’d be able to enjoy watching that again. Just not the sequels.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I think aesthetically the trilogy did a lot rights. It was a really cool looking trilogy. Force Awakens was at least a little bit intriguing so I think I’d be able to enjoy watching that again. Just not the sequels.

You're right that the movies are visually appealing, but I would expect that the largest movie franchise in the world, being developed by the biggest film production company in the world in 2020 would look amazing.

It's to bad there is nothing else to the movies.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
TFA is a fine background watch or when nothing else is on. TLJ is unwatchable to me. The yoda scene was cool but other than that? Garbage. Upon first watch I liked ROS about the same as TFA, maybe a little more. But the later it got in the movie the worse it seemed to get. The Palpatine stuff was dumb and basically killed both trilogies before it. I still have to watch it again.

Say what you will about the prequels, but it was still canon. RoS basically retconned the whole concept of midichlorians with Finn being force sensitive. Then Palpatine being alive at all destroyed Anikan's entire arc of being "the chosen one" who would kill the Emperor/Sidious and bring balance.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
TFA is a fine background watch or when nothing else is on. TLJ is unwatchable to me. The yoda scene was cool but other than that? Garbage. Upon first watch I liked ROS about the same as TFA, maybe a little more. But the later it got in the movie the worse it seemed to get. The Palpatine stuff was dumb and basically killed both trilogies before it. I still have to watch it again.

Say what you will about the prequels, but it was still canon. RoS basically retconned the whole concept of midichlorians with Finn being force sensitive. Then Palpatine being alive at all destroyed Anikan's entire arc of being "the chosen one" who would kill the Emperor/Sidious and bring balance.

The prophecy was, was that Anakin would bring balance to the force. The PT did a piss job of setting this up and explaining it.

Enter Filoni and the Mortis Arc.

Anakin, Ashoka and Obi wan find them selves trapped on Mortis, the home world of the 3 aspects of the Force, the Dark side (the brother), the Light side (the sister), and the Father (the thing keeping the two balanced).

The father was dying and so he reached out to find a replacement for him, someone who had a strong enough attachment to the force that he would be able to keep the Brother and Sister in check.

Unfortunately Anakin ultimately refuses to take the father's place and he (the father) dies.

Left unbalanced, the dark side takes hold and the real world suffers the consequences.

That was the prophecy and how it played out.

Edit: Eventually the prophecy does play through when Anakin, now Vader, sacrifices himself to kill the emperor to bring balance back to the force.

Possibly then becoming the father........

Last edited:

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
So I finally watched Solo. Not nearly as bad as I expected. Pretty mediocre but I don't hate it. I think more now that it got caught in the TLJ blowback and not many really gave it a chance. I still prefer the old EU origin, but not much to be done about that.

Last edited:

TheUltimateOiler

Oct 21, 2019
Overall Disney did okay for star wars. I only disliked the last Jedi movie.
Rogue one stands as my second favorite star wars movie next to empire strikes back.

Reactions: kingsholygrail

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I like the sequel trilogy just fine, but I do realize that they were a huge missed opportunity of what it could've been. We can criticize the prequels all we want, but at least there was a direction. The sequels were making it up as they went along.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
TFA is okay. It had some promise even if it re-hashed a lot from the original trilogy. The 2 other movies are pure stupid trash. I feel the same about them as I do season 8 of GoT... never again.

D&D were really trying hard to impress Disney that last season with all the Nazi imagery and subversion of expectations lol.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I still haven't watching the last one- I can't even remember the name.

The last Jedi enraged me in the theater and I decided basically I was done with Star wars (trilogy films).

Mandalorian is good shit, not perfect but really good. Why couldn't those people have made the new trilogy

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
Looking at box office take I think a lot of people did the same thing. A lot more excitement going into the 2nd film than the 3rd one.

openings for the ST in the US

247 > 220 > 155

total gross

936 > 620 > 515

Reactions: x Tame Impala

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Looking at box office take I think a lot of people did the same thing. A lot more excitement going into the 2nd film than the 3rd one.

openings for the ST in the US

247 > 220 > 155

total gross

936 > 620 > 515

Damn. Didn’t realize they made less and less money with each new movie.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
The acting in the sequel trilogy was easily the best of the three trilogies. Lucas appeared to be more concerned about special effects than getting good performances out of his actors, particularly with the prequels.

At least 7,8, 9 have that going for them.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I don't like Star Wars so my opinion isn't worth shit, but I think The Last Jedi is arguably the best film of the whole lot, maybe second to Empire. And nothing else comes really close.

Reactions: Cas

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
The acting in the sequel trilogy was easily the best of the three trilogies. Lucas appeared to be more concerned about special effects than getting good performances out of his actors, particularly with the prequels.

At least 7,8, 9 have that going for them.

I think any good acting from the sequel trilogy is easily overshadowed by the lack of a coherent story arc.

Reactions: Jussi

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I don't like Star Wars so my opinion isn't worth shit, but I think The Last Jedi is arguably the best film of the whole lot, maybe second to Empire. And nothing else comes really close.

I really liked the themes in The Last Jedi and that nothing that happened was predictable. But because there was no overall plan to the three movies, it feels redundant. If there had been a plan and the events of TLJ belonged to it, then the last one would've been interesting to see.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad