Disney Star Wars General Discussion

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I mean it’s obvious the team came up with the Palpatine idea late in the process for TROS. The Lucas people were lying to everyone about that always being the plan to cover up that the process was a mess.

And people were speculating the Kenobi thing the moment they walked out of the Force Awakens

I wonder how Disney and Kennedy feel about two of their leads for this generations Star Wars just airing them out the last week.

Just an insane lack of planning all around for the most valuable pop culture IP on earth

Last edited:
Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I mean it’s obvious the team came up with the Palpatine idea late in the process for TROS. The Lucas people were lying to everyone about that always being the plan to cover up that the process was a mess.

And people were speculating the Kenobi thing the moment they walked out of the Force Awakens

I wonder how Disney and Kennedy feel about two of their leads for this generations Star Wars just airing them out the last week.

Just an insane lack of planning all around for the most valuable pop culture IP on earth

At this point you have to ask why Disney hasn't already fired Kennedy.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Her contract is up in 2021 and it’s just easier from an optics standpoint to not renew her

Assuming they even want to do that. Iger wasn’t the biggests fan of her but he’s not calling the shots anymore so who knows

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Probably because they made a shitload of money off of those films, even with the vitriol among the fans over them. It's also probably easier to do the "mutually parting of ways" when her contract is up in 2021 (which is not that far away) than it is to fire her.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
At about 7:30 into the video:

I just remember this being brought up to him multiple times and him acting like it wasn't a big deal. "Where the racists at?"

I mean he does say he wants to fixate on the positives (Star Wars fans who reacted positively and bought so many tickets to see the movie), and mentions that the racism was more of a "stateside thing." I also think that a person acts more candidly about their experience working AFTER no longer working for/with a group/company/individual.

Do people think he is now making up the racism, or what?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I mean he does say he wants to fixate on the positives (Star Wars fans who reacted positively and bought so many tickets to see the movie), and mentions that the racism was more of a "stateside thing." I also think that a person acts more candidly about their experience working AFTER no longer working for/with a group/company/individual.

The argument is like how he put it, where are the racists at? The movies made billions with a female lead and a black supporting/co-lead character. The racists and sexists either aren't apart of the fandom or grossly overstated. Those people definitely exist though, but he's always seemed to have a pretty good attitude when dealing with it.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
The argument is like how he put it, where are the racists at? The movies made billions with a female lead and a black supporting/co-lead character. The racists and sexists either aren't apart of the fandom or grossly overstated. Those people definitely exist though, but he's always seemed to have a pretty good attitude when dealing with it.
Yeah, I'm not arguing that they are a majority of the fandom, just that they are significant enough for actors to take notice, and I don't think the clip posted really demonstrates otherwise.

There is no fandom with completely good or completely bad people. It is perfectly fine to accept that, especially since we are all fans of sports teams.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, I'm not arguing that they are a majority of the fandom, just that they are significant enough for actors to take notice, and I don't think the clip posted really demonstrates otherwise.

There is no fandom with completely good or completely bad people. It is perfectly fine to accept that, especially since we are all fans of sports teams.
What amount is significant enough though, it probably only takes a hundred or so trolls to make people notice them on twitter. Gina Carano has been getting trolls going after her on social media lately too. A few people can be very loud on those platforms, that's why people shouldn't even bother with them IMO.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
What amount is significant enough though, it probably only takes a hundred or so trolls to make people notice them on twitter. Gina Carano has been getting trolls going after her on social media lately too. A few people can be very loud on those platforms, that's why people shouldn't even bother with them IMO.
Do you think it was only a hundred or so trolls who influenced an actor to make a mention of it years after the fact? Do you think it was only a hundred or so trolls who caused an actor to delete their instagram account?

Regardless of the exact number, when fans actually influence actors to take notice and either comment on it or change their routine as a result, that is significant in my opinion. It isn't a knock on all Star Wars fans, just is evidence that there are enough Star Wars fans who are incredibly toxic/racist/sexist/etc. that it affects the people trying to simply work and create content for others to enjoy.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And my point is similar to Boyega's. Why do we assume that they are Star Wars fans? Plenty of people get involved in controversies when they aren't actual fans of that thing. I'm sure there were a ton of non-NFL fans being very upset over Kaep.

My point with the numbers is, we really don't know how many real-life individuals are involved with any of those harassment campaigns. People can make multiple accounts, they can create bots. I still go back to Ahmed Best, the fans love him and he always gets a great reception at events, and back when he was getting crap, he called out the media for it, not the fans. For years people got called sexist and racist when the ST got criticized when that had nothing to do with the actual critiques.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
And my point is similar to Boyega's. Why do we assume that they are Star Wars fans? Plenty of people get involved in controversies when they aren't actual fans of that thing. I'm sure there were a ton of non-NFL fans being very upset over Kaep.

My point with the numbers is, we really don't know how many real-life individuals are involved with any of those harassment campaigns. People can make multiple accounts, they can create bots. I still go back to Ahmed Best, the fans love him and he always gets a great reception at events, and back when he was getting crap, he called out the media for it, not the fans. For years people got called sexist and racist when the ST got criticized when that had nothing to do with the actual critiques.
Ahmed Best called out both.

Jar Jar Binks Actor Says He Considered Suicide After 'Star Wars' Backlash | Hollywood Reporter
"I had death threats through the internet," Best told Wired. "I had people come to me and say, 'You destroyed my childhood.' That's difficult for a 25-year-old to hear."

This is something that George Lucas also was familiar with.

How the Guy Who Played Jar Jar Survived the Fandom Menace
Throughout the controversy, Best had largely remained quiet. But Lucas wanted to talk. “George said, ‘This happened with the Ewoks. It happened with Chewbacca. It happened with Lando Calrissian,’” Best recalled. “He was used to this. He knew what was going to happen.”

I don't understand why you are so against the idea that toxic Star Wars fans exist and actually can be impactful on the lives of actors/directors/writers/etc. Every single fanbase has them. To argue otherwise comes across as a "my fans are better than yours", which I see all the time among sports fandom.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Jar Jar Binks Actor Says He Considered Suicide After 'Star Wars' Backlash | Hollywood Reporter

I don't understand why you are so against the idea that toxic Star Wars fans exist and actually can be impactful on the lives of actors/directors/writers/etc. Every single fanbase has them. To argue otherwise comes across as a "my fans are better than yours", which I see all the time among sports fandom.
I'm not against the idea that toxic SW fans exist, I'm saying the number of them have been grossly over-estimated. I'm not arguing that "my fans are better than yours", I'm arguing against the idea that "SW fans are worse than others". Star Wars fandom is one of the only one that gets bashed in main-stream, mainly because it's arguably the biggest fandom out there. I have a problem when people too much on the negatives of it.

Very few people can make a very big harassment campaign, that's what my primary pushback is. And why would we even assume that all those people are fans to begin with and not just actual racists looking to cause chaos?

I also don't care for fandoms because very few people see themselves of just Star Wars fans and dislike everything else in that genre or other genres. Only crazy die-hards go for that Star Wars vs Star Trek stuff.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I'm not against the idea that toxic SW fans exist, I'm saying the number of them have been grossly over-estimated. I'm not arguing that "my fans are better than yours", I'm arguing against the idea that "SW fans are worse than others". Star Wars fandom is one of the only one that gets bashed in main-stream, mainly because it's arguably the biggest fandom out there. I have a problem when people too much on the negatives of it.
In what way do you think people are over-estimating it? I am not really speaking to media interpretation (because I don't really care about clickbait journalism, and finding toxic people no matter how big or small is a great way to get clicks), but more of those who are explaining their experiences with toxic fans, like John Boyega or Kelly Marie Tran. That's really the extent of the experience I am focusing on, because that is directly related to the interview John Boyega did that brought this discussion up.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
In what way do you think people are over-estimating it? I am not really speaking to media interpretation (because I don't really care about clickbait journalism, and finding toxic people no matter how big or small is a great way to get clicks), but more of those who are explaining their experiences with toxic fans, like John Boyega or Kelly Marie Tran. That's really the extent of the experience I am focusing on, because that is directly related to the interview John Boyega did that brought this discussion up.
Boyega downplayed it. He was asked about all the backlash, and his response during all his years has been some variation of, "where are the racists at?". They either spent their money to see him and Daisy play lead roles, so not that racist, or there really isn't that many of them. I'm not saying it doesn't exist.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Boyega downplayed it. He was asked about all the backlash, and his response during all his years has been some variation of, "where are the racists at?". They either spent their money to see him and Daisy play lead roles, so not that racist, or there really isn't that many of them. I'm not saying it doesn't exist.
Boyega downplayed it in the past (during filming/production of the trilogy), and brought it up as a problem after ROS was released. The exact number of toxic fans isn't really relevant. What is relevant is if they made a negative impact on the actors, and they absolutely did. That is all I am trying to say, and there seems to be a lot of pushback on just that idea.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Boyega downplayed it in the past (during filming/production of the trilogy), and brought it up as a problem after ROS was released. The exact number of toxic fans isn't really relevant. What is relevant is if they made a negative impact on the actors, and they absolutely did. That is all I am trying to say, and there seems to be a lot of pushback on just that idea.
There isn't pushback on that idea, so I guess we'll leave it at that.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

No I don't think he's making it up. I do wonder if his perception/opinion has changed and why. I recall many times in interviews when the media brought this up he acted like it wasn't a big deal.

We're talking about years ago, and he could have had more experiences since then. Also, nothing wrong with people changing there opinion. I'm not being critical of him.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014

This is something that George Lucas also was familiar with.

How the Guy Who Played Jar Jar Survived the Fandom Menace

The treatment Ahmad Best and Jake Lloyd received by Star Wars “fans” was/is downright shameful.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Asking for a number that we all know cannot be quantified is a pointless diversion as is wanting to know if the bad fans are "real" fans or just using Star Wars as a Trojan horse for their disgusting biases.

We are never going to have answers to those questions. Fixating on that is useless.

The bad "fans" exist. They're real. There's ample evidence.

I'm an Ohio State football fan. That's a fanbase with a lot of stupidity and toxicity. It SUCKS to be associated with that at times. But the bad fans are real (and loud) even if I can't say it's 10%, 33%, 50%, 72%, etc. of the fanbase.

The best we can do is to not be the bad fan ourselves and to not tolerate or hand wave the bad behavior.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
The treatment Ahmad Best and Jake Lloyd received by Star Wars “fans” was/is downright shameful.

Poor Jake was brutalized and Star Wars ruined his life. He was bullied in school and basically destroyed be the media and fan base.

It doesn't help that he has paranoid schizophrenia

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Life on the internet, especially as a public figure. Just look at Gina Carano too. Doesn't excuse horrible behavior either though.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Yea. I'll never understand people attacking actors for their character's actions. Like, I get people going after celebs that have gone out of their way to make inflammatory statements, but attacking someone because of something the fictional character they played did - is just so mind boggling stupid it almost defies belief.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad