Disney Star Wars General Discussion

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I really liked the themes in The Last Jedi and that nothing that happened was predictable. But because there was no overall plan to the three movies, it feels redundant. If there had been a plan and the events of TLJ belonged to it, then the last one would've been interesting to see.

I think it's safe to say that if there was a plan for the trilogy, then Episode VIII would have been radically different from what we got.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I still haven't watching the last one- I can't even remember the name.

The last Jedi enraged me in the theater and I decided basically I was done with Star wars (trilogy films).

Mandalorian is good shit, not perfect but really good. Why couldn't those people have made the new trilogy

Filoni was handpicked by Lucas himself, there for he is his man. Right off the bat, after acquiring the franchise, Disney scrapped the CW and created their own animated series. While Filoni was still involved, the show was very much Disney's product in feel and look. To his credit, Filoni did everything that he could to mold the series into something that held true to Lucas's vision and to the spirit of the franchise but it was Disney's product now.

After the new trilogy was met with overwhelming meh to bleh, it was quite clear that the series wasn't going to critically survive without help. Queue Filoni.

Disney renewed the CW and gave him a position at the helm in running the Mandalorian, both of which have been met with overwhelming critical success.

Filoni knows his shit. He was handpicked by Lucas and is, at this point, essentially his successor. There isn't another being on this planet, except for Lucas, that knows and cares as much about the franchise as he does.

Reactions: Richard

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Now you've done it. Time to change your name again :D.

Let me set fire to my coffin first....

T1. The Empire Strikes Back
T1. The Last Jedi
-
-
3. A New Hope
4. The Force Awakens
-
-
5. Return of the Jedi
-
-
-
A burning pile of shit
-
6. The Rise of the Skywalker
7. Attack of the Clones
8. Revenge of the Sith
9. The Phantom Menace

The last Jedi enraged me in the theater and I decided basically I was done with Star wars (trilogy films).

Enraged? Damn.... :)

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Filoni was handpicked by Lucas himself, there for he is his man. Right off the bat, after acquiring the franchise, Disney scrapped the CW and created their own animated series. While Filoni was still involved, the show was very much Disney's product in feel and look. To his credit, Filoni did everything that he could to mold the series into something that held true to Lucas's vision and to the spirit of the franchise but it was Disney's product now.

After the new trilogy was met with overwhelming meh to bleh, it was quite clear that the series wasn't going to critically survive without help. Queue Filoni.

Disney renewed the CW and gave him a position at the helm in running the Mandalorian, both of which have been met with overwhelming critical success.

Filoni knows his shit. He was handpicked by Lucas and is, at this point, essentially his successor. There isn't another being on this planet, except for Lucas, that knows and cares as much about the franchise as he does.

Let’s be honest at this point, Disney needs to can Kennedy. Hire Filoni to be Star Wars Feige. Take a step back, and count the Billions he would make them.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The acting in the sequel trilogy was easily the best of the three trilogies. Lucas appeared to be more concerned about special effects than getting good performances out of his actors, particularly with the prequels.

At least 7,8, 9 have that going for them.

If you combined the acting and visuals of the ST with the story of the PT you'd have a hell of a trilogy.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I don't like Star Wars so my opinion isn't worth shit, but I think The Last Jedi is arguably the best film of the whole lot, maybe second to Empire. And nothing else comes really close.

I really liked the themes in The Last Jedi and that nothing that happened was predictable. But because there was no overall plan to the three movies, it feels redundant. If there had been a plan and the events of TLJ belonged to it, then the last one would've been interesting to see.
There must have been a better way to fix some of the issues fans had with the last Jedi while moving the franchise forward with a plot that wasn't just a remixed version of Return of the Jedi like Rise of Skywalk was. JJ Abrams was probably the wrong choice for the last movie since his style only seems to be remakes/reimagining's of existing idea's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jussi

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Jon Favreau. He's written The Mandalorian. He's in an even bigger role than Filoni.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
There must have been a better way to fix some of the issues fans had with the last Jedi while moving the franchise forward with a plot that wasn't just a remixed version of Return of the Jedi like Rise of Skywalk was. JJ Abrams was probably the wrong choice for the last movie since his style only seems to be remakes/reimagining's of existing idea's.

I don't think there was ever going to be much hope for Episode IX after the Last Jedi regardless of who was at the helm of the project. Johnson basically ignored what came before and had no regard for what would come after his film.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012

Thats good shit, I didn't know that. I never watched the clone wars (its a cartoon) but everyone has told me to get into that.

The "sequel" trilogy was so so bad and disappointing that I will likely never go to the theater to see a Star Wars movie again but I will watch the live action series so far ( except for that weird all female martial arts one-NAH PASS).

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Damn. Didn’t realize they made less and less money with each new movie.
This was the case for all three trilogies, except that ROTS made more than AOTC (which didn't even make as much as ANH).

Star Wars Franchise Box Office History - The Numbers

If you combined the acting and visuals of the ST with the story of the PT you'd have a hell of a trilogy.
Can someone explain to me what was so great about the Prequel Trilogy story?

It had potential, sure, but it was executed terribly.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
This was the case for all three trilogies, except that ROTS made more than AOTC (which didn't even make as much as ANH).

Star Wars Franchise Box Office History - The Numbers

Can someone explain to me what was so great about the Prequel Trilogy story?

It had potential, sure, but it was executed terribly.
I think people mainly like the prequel’s because George wasn’t afraid to tell new stories and bring in new characters and concepts. Also there is a whole generation of people who grew up with the prequels who are now mostly in their 20s who do not have a good understanding of the backlash the prequel movies received at the time they came out.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I think people mainly like the prequel’s because George wasn’t afraid to tell new stories and bring in new characters and concepts. Also there is a whole generation of people who grew up with the prequels who are now mostly in their 20s who do not have a good understanding of the backlash the prequel movies received at the time they came out.

Despite all their flaws, the prequels at least told a coherent story and felt like actual Star Wars films. Not to mention they greatly expanded Star Wars lore.

Also, too much of what happened leading up to to the events of the sequel trilogy happened off-screen that the viewer had to take for granted. Ben Solo falling to the dark side. The rise of the First Order. Why the new Republic was so incompetent and in a position to be eradicated so quickly. Much of this IMO was done just so Disney could more or less re-tell the original trilogy plot with different characters.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I'm just asking specifically about the story. I don't see how even modern visuals saves that trilogy, as the writing was so brutal, regardless of how "original" or "new" it was.

Attack of the Clones was the biggest demonstration of this.

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I'm all in on the Obi Wan and Rogue Squadron shows.

The High Republic stuff is looking promising as well. I'm looking forward to a fresh timeline without having to do mental gymnastics to make all the pieces fit

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Lol just a huge dump of Star Wars content on the horizon. I figured Ashoka was pretty much a lock to be announced with the Cassian and Obi Wan series already or pretty much confirmed. Wasn't quite expecting everything else.

Rogue Squadron has me the most excited though.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
On one hand I like Patty Jenkins, on the other hand I don’t particularly care about a fighter pilot movie

I guess this gives them more time to get their shit figured out for the next series of movies

Also if that Rangers of the New Republic show is centered around Cara Dune, big pass. No idea what Disney is thinking dumping money into a side character

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'm sure some of these will be good, some meh. I still lament the loss of the Star Wars brand as a large even/spectacle, putting out a whole bunch of series quickly will be the nail in the coffin of that.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad