Disney Star Wars General Discussion

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I figured instead of the Rise of Skywalker thread we can use this thread to talk about all things Disney Star Wars. Maybe your general feelings of what they've done so far, what you hope to see in the future, as well as any exciting news and updates for upcoming projects.

I think this thread would be best served if we all stayed away from the specific arguments we've been having the last two years. We all know what they are. We all know you're basically either on side A or side B and there's not much to be said that can change anyone's mind.

So far Disney has given us...

The Force Awakens
Rogue One
The Last Jedi
Solo
Rise of Skywalker

...as well as The Mandalorian on Disney +

What are your overall thoughts on the work Disney Star Wars has put out so far? Are you excited for their upcoming projects? What do you hope to see from Star Wars in the future?

Reactions: Villella McMeans

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The Mandalorian has gotten me excited again, but I was someone who was never much interested in an Obi-Wan series and I really don't care about the Cassian Andor series. If they are well done, I'm sure I'll be a big fan, but on the surface they just don't excite me. I really want to see what they can do when they aren't relying on OT content. I felt all of the ST heavily leaned on the OT.

I hope they get a solid film plan put together and stick to it.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Going forward, the further they get away from the 3 previous trilogies the better IMO. I want to see things i've never seen before with characters i've never seen before. The Mandalorian did an excellent job of that.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Have been watching the movies the past couple of days. When Yoda is first introduced in Empire, it was pretty cringey imo. The way he acted was up there with Jar Jar Binks. It wasn't until Luke finds out that he's actually talking to Yoda when Yoda starts acting normal. It didn't last long but am I the only one who thinks this?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The trilogy as a whole is a mess, but I think they work better as their own individual movies. Force Awakens was safe but relatively enjoyable, Last Jedi had interesting ideas but flubbed the landing, and The Rise of Skywalker... I don't really know, that was just a mess although it had enjoyable moments. But yeah, it was an unmitigated disaster as a cohesive unit. Each title was reactionary to the last. Kylo Ren remained interesting throughout though, he was easily the best part of the trilogy.

Mandalorian is great. It's nothing exceptional, but it is really good and it's the best Star Wars thing I've ever seen.

Haven't seen Rogue One or Solo.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Have been watching the movies the past couple of days. When Yoda is first introduced in Empire, it was pretty cringey imo. The way he acted was up there with Jar Jar Binks. It wasn't until Luke finds out that he's actually talking to Yoda when Yoda starts acting normal. It didn't last long but am I the only one who thinks this?

You could not be more wrong.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

This thread is for Disney Star Wars movies only. Not the first 6 movies. The content they’ve released is listed in the OP.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
You couldn't be more wrong in thinking someones opinion is wrong.

The way he laughs at everything... cringe

I’ve seen it recently, no need to show me. It’s a fine scene.

If you don’t want someone to disagree with you, don’t post on a forum.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Back to the thread topic; I give the following grades for what Disney has done.

Rogue One: B+
The Mandalorian: A-
Force Awakens: C-
The Last Jedi: F
Rise of Skywalker: C+

Haven’t seen Solo yet.

I like the grittier feeling that the first two have. I know that’s not an option for a major film, but still. I am quasi-optimistic for the future projects.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I’ve seen it recently, no need to show me. It’s a fine scene.

If you don’t want someone to disagree with you, don’t post on a forum.
I dont mind if people disagree with me. I do mind if people tell me my opinion is wrong. If you feel differently thats fine, but just because you do, doesn't mean someone else is wrong.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
If I had to give a grade to Disney so far I would give them a C. They really blew it with the sequel trilogy overall. I also agree they need to move away from these trilogies as much as possible.
For the Obi-Wan series, the only reason I would be interested if Ewan McGregor does the character. I am not interested what Obi-Wan did between the prequels and originals. I mean... he's suppose to be hiding and not do anything crazy.
The Cassian series idea I might have been interested at one time, but what's the point? He's just some guy who dies in Rogue One, and as far as I'm concerned everything the Rebellion accomplished has been pretty much undone because of the sequel trilogy. Their early struggles no longer matter.

Edit: Mandolorian has been pretty good so far, hopefully season 2 will continue to build on things in a good way.

I mean I guess, but uh, who cares. :laugh:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
My view was always that he did this on purpose as a test for Luke, and that's why I liked it.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
At the start I would disagree that they need to move away from the three trilogy's, but considering the story they decided to tell and the finality and emptiness they left with there really isn't much choice here.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This thread is for Disney Star Wars movies only. Not the first 6 movies. The content they’ve released is listed in the OP.
If you don't mind I just wanted to mention what a great job Disney did in creating Star Wars Galaxy's Edge at Walt Disney World in Orlando which I went to in August 2019 (During their Annual Passholder previews) and December 2019. It's also opened in Disneyland in Anaheim as well.

Anyway the land itself is themed after Battu and if you purchase something and the cost is $15.00 as an example, they will say the cost is 15.00 credits like in the movies.

The two attractions they opened up is Millennium Falcon Smugglers Run, which features Hondo Ohnaka where you fly in inside the Falcon, however last month they opened Rise of The Resistance which is a much better attraction.

You can build your own custom Lightsaber or custom droid. Now the cost for both is $199 and you need a reservation in advance to do them, however a lot of people seem to be doing that from what I have seen. However they also sell legacy Lightsabers which cost between $129 - $139, so for example you can get Obi-Wan Kenobi's authentic lightsaber. However the blade is sold separately. They also sell pre built droids of RD-D2 and BB8.

Plus one of the stores they created sells items from the shows. For example if you remember the Star Wars The Clone Wars series or Star Wars Rebels featured those Jedi and Sith Holocrons, they are being sold and I purchased them both.

These videos will show it off a lot better than me describing it.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
At the start I would disagree that they need to move away from the three trilogy's, but considering the story they decided to tell and the finality and emptiness they left with there really isn't much choice here.

Yeah, my hope was that the sequel trilogy had done a couple things-begin a properly reformed Jedi Order, and a properly reformed New Republic. Instead bad guys are just going to pop up again and the galaxy will never experience lasting peace ever again...

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
The trilogy as a whole is a mess, but I think they work better as their own individual movies. Force Awakens was safe but relatively enjoyable, Last Jedi had interesting ideas but flubbed the landing, and The Rise of Skywalker... I don't really know, that was just a mess although it had enjoyable moments. But yeah, it was an unmitigated disaster as a cohesive unit. Each title was reactionary to the last. Kylo Ren remained interesting throughout though, he was easily the best part of the trilogy.

Mandalorian is great. It's nothing exceptional, but it is really good and it's the best Star Wars thing I've ever seen.

Haven't seen Rogue One or Solo.

The trilogy really didn't feel like it was part of the Skywalker Saga. It felt like a Rey trilogy with the Skywalkers as supporting cast to be killed off.

Reactions: Osprey

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
If you don't mind I just wanted to mention what a great job Disney did in creating Star Wars Galaxy's Edge at Walt Disney World in Orlando which I went to in August 2019 (During their Annual Passholder previews) and December 2019. It's also opened in Disneyland in Anaheim as well.

Anyway the land itself is themed after Battu and if you purchase something and the cost is $15.00 as an example, they will say the cost is 15.00 credits like in the movies.

The two attractions they opened up is Millennium Falcon Smugglers Run, which features Hondo Ohnaka where you fly in inside the Falcon, however last month they opened Rise of The Resistance which is a much better attraction.

You can build your own custom Lightsaber or custom droid. Now the cost for both is $199 and you need a reservation in advance to do them, however a lot of people seem to be doing that from what I have seen. However they also sell legacy Lightsabers which cost between $129 - $139, so for example you can get Obi-Wan Kenobi's authentic lightsaber. However the blade is sold separately. They also sell pre built droids of RD-D2 and BB8.

Plus one of the stores they created sells items from the shows. For example if you remember the Star Wars The Clone Wars series or Star Wars Rebels featured those Jedi and Sith Holocrons, they are being sold and I purchased them both.

These videos will show it off a lot better than me describing it.

I'm actually going there with my sister sometime in the next week or 2. Really looking forward to it!

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm actually going there with my sister sometime in the next week or 2. Really looking forward to it!
I hope you have a great time and just a heads up at first it's a bit confusing on where you need to go, however once you know where everything is it's not bad. Also if you are going to the one in Walt Disney World they also have an entrance/exit for Galaxy's Edge located in Toy Story Land.

Finally if you want to get on Rise of The Resistance you will need the My Disney Experience App and get a boarding pass, because they are not using regular lines or Fast Pass + at this time. To get the boarding pass you need to physically be inside Hollywood Studios when they open and since last month along with this month they have been changing the opening to 7:00 AM which is when you can get a boarding pass. It will say your boarding group number and send you a push notification through the app saying it's time to get in line and it gives you a 2 hour window. Both times I went on last month I happened to get boarding group 97 and I was in Hollywood Studios just after 7:00 AM. Now on the plus side you are not forced to remain inside Hollywood Studios until your boarding group is called. For example I left to go back to my WDW Resort which was the Boardwalk Inn, so I checked the app to see what groups they were at and walked back to Hollywood Studios once they got closer to my boarding group.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
On the film side of things, I think they started off pretty well with TFA and Rogue One, but it was downhill after that. Their complete lack of planning made the sequel trilogy feel like a duology with a completely different film in between. Solo was okay, but they completely botched it by releasing it in May instead of waiting until December. Plus you've got all the behind the scenes drama with multiple directors being fired, not to mention all the drama created in fandom because of TLJ. Business wise, they've made a ton of money off the films, but in terms of actual quality, I'd say it's been very underwhelming. Hopefully through all of this they've learned some lessons and the next wave of films are better for it.

On the TV side of things they've hit it out of the park. Mandalorian was some of the best Star Wars we've had in years. Clone Wars I expect to be good as well. The Obi-Wan series appears to be in very good hands with Deborah Chow, who directed some of the best episodes of Mandalorian. The Cassian series I'm kind of meh on, but I think it's being run by the same guy who did The Americans on FX, and I enjoyed that show. I think streaming might be the future of Star Wars. As much as I love the experience of going to a Star Wars movie in theaters, I think there's far more room for telling good Star Wars stories in series format. Clone Wars, Rebels, and Mandalorian have been the best Star Wars, probably since the OT. Not surprisingly, those shows have all been run by people who love and understand Star Wars. I mean hell, Filoni was basically George Lucas' apprentice.

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->