NHL 20 Discussion Thread

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I like the game...follow Tito's sliders and it works pretty well. Really have to be on your game to get a win.

at the NHL level it is hard to establish a forecheck as the breakouts are so clean but that's a small complaint.

I do miss the fact the players nationalities are not available...first time in a long time.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
just bought the game two days ago. First online vs game I have Price in goal and the other guy has Holtby...there were 11 total goals scored on like the first 17 shots combined. Two highly rated goalies letting in the same damn type of goal every single time. It's just bad man.

Then I'm like screw it, maybe I'll just do offline franchise mode stuff. So I get past the pre-season and am about to begin the regular season but then the game suddenly freezes annnnnnnnnnnd..........I shut the f***er off.

I guess I made another mistake buying this one and will stick to playing Fifa as my go to sports game.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
just bought the game two days ago. First online vs game I have Price in goal and the other guy has Holtby...there were 11 total goals scored on like the first 17 shots combined. Two highly rated goalies letting in the same damn type of goal every single time. It's just bad man.

Then I'm like screw it, maybe I'll just do offline franchise mode stuff. So I get past the pre-season and am about to begin the regular season but then the game suddenly freezes annnnnnnnnnnd..........I shut the ****er off.

I guess I made another mistake buying this one and will stick to playing Fifa as my go to sports game.
Literally never had either of those problems with the game. Also 11 goals in 17 shots feels fake unless both players literally arent playing defense at all.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Game isn't nearly as popular anymore due to years of producing a trash product. Back in the prime years around 2010, this would have filled up in an instant.

this.

The past....what....decade of complete and utter mediocrity and little to no improvements(deprovements when moving to current gen) really soured a LOT of the hardcore fanbase that has been buying these games year in-year out. I used to be 1 of them. I used to be big into GM log posting, like a lot.
But...EA does what EA does best...mess everything up. this franchise has seen minimalistic improvements between iterations and eventually not only does it get 'old' but it also gets boring when nothing new or really exciting gets added.

I abstained from getting 20, after buying 19 and seeing how that was. As a solely offline player, there's little to basically nothing enticing me to keep playing these games. GM mode has become very monotonous and the SIM is very bipolar. some very bad teams can make playoffs while stacked teams end up bottom of the league. GM mode has been same ole shizz for the past decade. the best thing they've added in that time? Trade finder for NHL 20(when other sports titles have had that feature for well over 5+ yrs).

and Be a pro isn't even a game mode. it's literally a player lock mode. no story, no extra things to make it fun. just play your games. Live the life was the closest EA's come to even a remotely 'okay' version of BaP and even then other sports titles have had such better career modes. i don't even really like Basketball that much but the MyCareer mode 2K has always been top notch.

fact of the matter is EA has drove this franchise into the ground. young ppl should WANT to play these games, to create themselves and jump into a career mode they can sink their teeth into. get them to be FANS of hockey, but the way the game is...who tf wants to?

/rant. I just really hate how crap this franchise has become when I love the sport so much and I wanna have a GOOD career mode.

Madic

May 21, 2008
Has anybody figured out if signature shots affect anyone's wrist shots other than Matthews? I've looked everywhere for an answer to this and found nothing but conjecture.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
This has probably been discussed before but is there a way to turn off the snoop dog interview thing that keeps happening seemingly every game? If we can't, I think I'll just turn the commentary off.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
This has probably been discussed before but is there a way to turn off the snoop dog interview thing that keeps happening seemingly every game? If we can't, I think I'll just turn the commentary off.

Go to your settings. There is an option that says turn off guest commentary or something like that.

Probably the same place where you would turn off commentary.

Hypernova

Apr 20, 2007
Boston, MA
www.worldwrasslinpodcast.com
Has anyone noticed that the game has become a little harder since the snoop dog update? I don't think the AI has changed really but my goalie for sure has become much worse while the CPU goalies have improved. So the typical EA method for making the game harder.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Finally decided to get new NHL game after not getting 19. I actually like the gameplay, it feels fresh after skipping a game. I love playing EASHL and Threes with a couple of friends. That being said, playing against CPU is as frustrating as ever. It seems like EA just can't figure out how to make it challenging without making the opposing CPU superhuman and downgrading your CPU. I played a couple of HUT challenge games on Superstar, and was just insanely frustrated after them. The offensive strategy is making superhuman passes so fast that you can't humanly keep up, and taking advantage of your own CPU players also not being able to react fast enough. Then when you regain control, you have to fight off a forechecker that predicts your every move. And if you survive that, you can't find a passing lane because your own players stay nice and tight covered by the defenders. Your players won't ever challenge the defenders on the rush like the opponent CPU does, they just skate in a simple formation that doesn't give you any passing lanes. And in the offensive zone, your players pretty much stay static, or skate backwards so that when they in a rare occasion get open, you have less than a second to pass it on or you get hit off the puck. There is just zero support, offensively or defensively, from your own CPU against the oppossing CPU with superhuman reflexes, and it honestly makes offline unplayable for me.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Honestly, I think one of the worst things in the game are the front of the net tie-up animations. They Seem to have a set duration so that if one of your players gets tied up, even if it’s just stick on stick from behind, the guy won’t move until the animation is over. The puck could be sailing away down to the other end of the ice and those two players are still “battling” in front because the animation didn’t end.

Again, I got the game for like 25 bucks but still. There’s just so much wrong.

I mean come on. Madden even has pass interference in the game again. So frustrating, honestly.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I fired up NHL 19 out of boredom. I refuse to buy the this crap last 3-4 years. Only get it from gameshare partner vault.

Same crap as I remember. The DDA is brutal. Completely dominate kids; shots, time on attack, etc and it's always close. Nice cycle and backdoor play or 2 on 1's go in 10% of the time. Goalie diving around and making impossible saves. But glitch shots still go in!! Had a kid score from the boards with goalie hugging that post.

I told them to do 6's tournaments when EASHL was big. Have teams with jerseys kind of like Optic and stuff. What do they do? They wait until the game is dead. Skip a year on next gen. Drop a game with no EASHL. So 2 years without. Everybody lost contact with people and on different consoles now. Then 2K does it and they do it later. What a shitshow.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I mostly play offline, and the AI is too damn good. Passes are perfect from the computer, awful from the human. It's impossible to gain control of the puck as a defender without intercepting passes. This is all on the pro level. And god forbid I win more than 2 faceoffs per period. I'm tired of laying a hit on an AI puck carrier and them just bouncing off me or the boards and continuing on like nothing happened, and meanwhile my D is out of position.....trying to poke check as a D is almost an automatic trip, and trying to stick lift is almost an automatic hook.

I want to chuck my controller.

If someone has sliders that correct these issues, that would be great, m'kay?

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I thought I read that the 1.50 patch was supposed to include the Bruins alternate for the 2019-2020 season, but I'm not seeing it. Can someone else confirm?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I mostly play offline, and the AI is too damn good. Passes are perfect from the computer, awful from the human. It's impossible to gain control of the puck as a defender without intercepting passes. This is all on the pro level. And god forbid I win more than 2 faceoffs per period. I'm tired of laying a hit on an AI puck carrier and them just bouncing off me or the boards and continuing on like nothing happened, and meanwhile my D is out of position.....trying to poke check as a D is almost an automatic trip, and trying to stick lift is almost an automatic hook.

I want to chuck my controller.

If someone has sliders that correct these issues, that would be great, m'kay?

It's such a hard balance to find. I play on All Star so my sliders will be pretty different than yours, but I find just lowering CPU shot accuracy to like 20/100 and Human shot accuracy to 45/100 fixes A LOT of problems. Also, turn pass interceptions way up as well as poke accuracy/power way up. I'm trying to find the best balance between making every game challenging but also fair. I don't want to win every game 5-2 and finish the season with 70+ wins, but I also don't want to be giving up 3.5 goals a game with Lehner and Crawford.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
I don't know what EA Sports is aiming at with these default sliders. You should NOT play with them if you want a realistic gaming experience.

EA Sliders = Arcade non-sensical hockey

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I think they made huge improvements in the gameplay. The GM is still very bad but for some reason addictive

Conor Edwards

Oct 22, 2018
Detroit, MI
Is there a standard amount of sliders to make watching the game in True Broadcast actually look like a real game as much as possible? If so, where would I find those values?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad